You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Sky Poker forums will be temporarily unavailable from 11pm Wednesday July 25th.
Sky Poker Forums is upgrading its look! Stay tuned for the big reveal!

Playing lose aggressive

edited March 2011 in The Poker Clinic

What style of play do you guys think is more profitable. I mostly play a tightish aggressive style, but if the cards are not coming your way this style i find does not make you much money, particularly if you are up against a table with good tight aggressive players.

I do not have stats that show how profitable i am with any particular style of play, but i was curious do you guys think in general a better loose aggressive player is more profitable than a tight aggressive player... (i am talking here overall, not say on a specific table - cos obiviously if there is maniac you have to tighten up)

Comments

• edited March 2011
    Most pro's are tight aggressive! Tells its own story.

Hamster, think of how you are percieved by some of the other players on your table! If the cards are'nt going your way then make it work for you rather than against you! If you are'nt in many hands, it means you are tight and therefore when you do make an entrance, then most will get out of your way! (Thats when i run into Aces by the way. lol)
  • edited March 2011
    Hi I here what you are saying that most pro are tight aggressive, but also the best pros i.e. ivery ungar were overall precieved as loose aggressive im not quite sure???
  • edited March 2011
    I think it was Tikay who said that loose aggressive may win you loads but it can cost you loads too. Tight aggressive means you wont win as much as quick but you certainly wont lose as much!

Bottom line, i suppose its down to the individual. If tight aggressive is what you are most comfortable with then i would stick to it and vise versa.

If you change to loose aggro, let me know how you get on. Good luck!
  • edited March 2011
    I think alot depends on what limits you play at... playing loose at the lower levels where you get alot of calling stations probably isn't the best idea
  • edited March 2011

I trying it at the mo.. the swings are pretty wide, cant tell it up or down overall yet.. I think though if you want to play this style you need really good post flop abilities as you get yourself in so many tricky situation with top pair say and really rubbish kicker

• edited March 2011
    Playing loose aggressive is an impressive style, but you have to have a more than impressive game to truly back it up. Tight aggressive is the 'safe' way to go, and pretty much definitely preferable if you're multi tabling (unless I'm mistaken!) 

The pros like Dwan and Ivey make mad moves, but there's reasoning and logic behind it. Just because they start raising/reraising with garbage hands doesn't mean anyone can do it, and most importantly- you have to be able to stand those hits when it goes wrong. What they're doing mainly is image building- now when Dwan makes these crazy plays, you know he can quite feasibly have garbage. That's why he stands such a good chance of getting paid off light when he really does have the nuts- I think now he's built his image, he actually plays a lot tighter and gets rewarded, throwing in the odd lunatic play to make sure everyone knows he can still do it.

The most important thing to take away though is that these images work because people are aware of it. If you're playing micro limits, people just don't care about your image- they see your cards and nothing else. If you're at a very passive, fold happy table, then by all means loosen up. If you're at a station table, tighten up a little, and bet your hands strongly. If you're at a loose aggressive table, tighten up considerably. If you're at a tight aggressive table, move on and find somewhere else to attack, because there's probably not much money to be made here.

Always target the fish, don't tangle with skilled players at low limits if you can avoid it- there's easier money to be made elsewhere.