You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Sky Poker forums will be temporarily unavailable from 11pm Wednesday July 25th.
Sky Poker Forums is upgrading its look! Stay tuned for the big reveal!

Another attempt to turn my hand into a bluff - Thoughts?

edited April 2011 in The Poker Clinic

I didn't have any reads at the time.

Wooooops, I copied it wrong. I meant to cut off the action after my river bet - obviously I folded. 

PlayerActionCardsAmountPotBalance
StefanoJc Small blind  £0.15 £0.15 £25.00
DOHHHHHHH Big blind  £0.30 £0.45 £70.18
  Your hole cards
  • Q

SighKO Raise  £0.90 £1.35 £40.36
baz___1 Call  £0.90 £2.25 £68.79
rtc Fold     
StefanoJc Fold     
DOHHHHHHH Call  £0.60 £2.85 £69.58
Flop

DOHHHHHHH Check     
SighKO Bet  £1.43 £4.28 £38.93
baz___1 Call  £1.43 £5.71 £67.36
DOHHHHHHH Call  £1.43 £7.14 £68.15
Turn

DOHHHHHHH Check     
SighKO Bet  £3.57 £10.71 £35.36
baz___1 Fold     
DOHHHHHHH Raise  £7.50 £18.21 £60.65
SighKO Call  £3.93 £22.14 £31.43
River

DOHHHHHHH Bet  £15.75 £37.89 £44.90
SighKO All-in  £31.43 £69.32 £0.00
DOHHHHHHH

Comments

• ybyb
    edited March 2011
    I don't like it, I wouldn't give a randomer at 30nl credit to be able to fold an overpair too often.

I'd also fold pre.
  • edited March 2011
    Should I just stop doing (or trying to do) things like this????

If I was against a good player, would it be a good spot to try something like this? Have I read the board/his hand well enough for it to work?

Basically asking, have I got the right idea, or am I well off the mark???
  • ybyb
    edited March 2011
    well if you were up against a TAG/nit it could work, but then they are also the sort of player to check back the turn with an overpair. I think you need to have very solid reads to try things like this. As you're readless I'd just assume he isn't very good until you get proved otherwise and try to play loads of hands in position against him, especially as you're fairly deep.
  • edited March 2011
    wouldn't be betting on a paired board at the end.  villain now has 2 pairs.

if I were to bet it would be a blocker. 
  • edited March 2011
    In Response to Re: Another attempt to turn my hand into a bluff - Thoughts?:
    well if you were up against a TAG/nit it could work, but then they are also the sort of player to check back the turn with an overpair. I think you need to have very solid reads to try things like this. As you're readless I'd just assume he isn't very good until you get proved otherwise and try to play loads of hands in position against him, especially as you're fairly deep.
    Posted by yb
    do you take this line of thinking only when you want to bluff them or all the time?
  • edited March 2011
    don't really like this-he could quite possibly have a lot of the hands you're trying to represent, perhaps you should raise bigger on the turn too. Like others have said also, a) bluffing idiots never seems to work and b) fold pre.
  • edited March 2011
    Only thing id say doh is your OOP against this person. If he checks the river and your last to bet then its not a bad play. But tbh the river seems like a card that isnt going to put him off, what hand were you repping? Flush?
  • edited March 2011
    hi mate, could you explain your thinking on the flop, c/c seems very strange multi way with tp. are you rep fd?
  • edited March 2011

My thinking on the hand was I was playing well, flopping well, and sat with a load of plonkers.

We're also deep, and I have a hand that flops well.

So I make a loose/bad call pre.

I flop top pair, I can't lead into 3 players coz I just get myself into a horrid spot, especially with a flush draw out I could convince myself they all have flushdraws or whatever and get too involved.

A bet, and a call, as if I can fold top pair !!!!

So that leads to the turn......

I'm pretty much giving up on the hand, I think one of them must have a flush. Until he bets half pot.

I'm thinking I could easily represent a flush here, having called OOP multi way, theres no way I have an overpair, and if I did, I wouldn't raise in this spot. I could have a set, or a flush, or be bluffing. Thats what I would think if I was him.

I decided to turn top pair into a bluff, by making a small raise. The idea here is to give myself momewntum and leverage to bet the river. I can't c/c the turn then bet the river, coz I would never do that with a flush, I would want to get paid.

The river comes, and I have to continue my story.

I think he could have TT-AA with 1 spade, and that could be his reason for calling turn and folding river.

Also the bet on the river is alot bigger, and he also saw me c/r the turn, I think my line is v strong, on that turn card.

Also, dnt forget I c/c the flop OOP in a multi way pot on a board with a flush draw.

I pieced it together and thought I could represent a flush well.

I actually think looking back on the hand,  the guy flopped a set, and might have folded had the river not paired the board.

Nevermind.

• edited April 2011
    to  be fair mate, that play was wasted on a nl 30 table of "plonkers" 90% of players at that/this level are soooo focused on there play and there hands they aint seeing it. save it for nl50 and or decent reg.