You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Sky Poker forums will be temporarily unavailable from 11pm Wednesday July 25th.
Sky Poker Forums is upgrading its look! Stay tuned for the big reveal!

Adapting to friendly live game?

edited March 2011 in The Poker Clinic
I've been playing poker since January this year now and I've discovered that once you have fewer than 10 big blinds in a tournament there are only two decisions left: all-in pre-flop or fold pre-flop. When I play on-line I have certain hands that if I get and are below 10 bigs then I just ship (depending on the action infront of course)

But the regular live game I play at players will often play right down to the felt. It is not uncommon for the big blind to fold to a raise with less than four bigs behind.

last night I ended up in this situation with less than 10 bigs left so I kept shoving hoping to double up and stealing the blinds instead. It got to the point where we were eight handed, I had 10 big blinds and there were at least four with fewer chips than me.

Is this still the right stratergy to win or should I be holding out till I have say five big blinds left? Or should I play even looser and shove with any two cards knowing that the short stacks will most likely fold without a premium hand. If they are only going to call with pocket pairs or high suited aces then I am almost certainly behind if they call no mater what I have right?

Last night I survived an hour and came fourth playing only two moves: fold pre-flop or all-in pre-flop. Should I change my game?

Comments

• edited March 2011
    Play exactly the same, my strategy for late MTT play is punish weak passive players by raising/shoving at every opportunity. In terms of 10 BB's I would never advise willingly going lower than this if you don't need to, if they want to bleed them selves by goin to 5 let them. ;)

One thing I might be careful of though is when they get super low to less than 5 as now they probably have to call with a massive % of thier range meaning it will be hard to make them fold and could also double them up which you don't want to do.