You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Sky Poker forums will be temporarily unavailable from 11pm Wednesday July 25th.
Sky Poker Forums is upgrading its look! Stay tuned for the big reveal!

Looks Like its DYM's for a while

edited April 2011 in Poker Chat
Recently made a deposit of £290 and have played before but i always play outside my bankroll but i fell at my best at the levels of 0.50/1 as i read players better but i simply can'y make the calls in tight spots due to my bankroll.
So i am going to play DYM's for a while and try reach a good bankroll as  i dont want to go down to levels like 0.10/0.20 as i get bored and play too mnay hands.
I want your views on what you think i should do as i am a good tourney player but the variance is too risky to rely on 1 big cash so what do you think i should do ????

Comments

• edited April 2011
    Welcome to the forum!

DYMs are great to bankroll build IMO.  However they require a completely different skill-set to cash, MTT or even standard STT poker.

I'm always quite blunt with this question so please do not take offence.  Do you know how to play DYMs?

The other option would be to play those 0.10/0.20 levels and work on your discipline.  Strangely DYMs played correctly will do this also.  A lot of guys (myself included) built up a decent BR from those levels )and lower in my case) and they are great to cut your teeth.  BTW I wouldn't be playing 0.10/0.20 with the bankroll you started with let alone what it may be now.  There have been many many threads on the number of buy ins you should have and the most liberal amount seems to be 20 Buyins.

Do not play MTTs to bankroll build, the variance is just too high.  You may get lucky and hit, but the odds are against.

Good luck and let us know what you decide and how you get on.
  • edited April 2011
    in order to be successful at DYMs you need to play far less hands than you would do at 20nl.

as i read players better

no you don't.  thats what poor players say as an excuse as to why they cant beat the lower stakes.

read up on BR discipline or cash out your BR now before you lose it.

you may well be a good player and could beat the game.  but poker has an element of luck and thats why you require a 15/20BI roll minimum so you can handle the swings.

as to what I think you should do.  play 5£/10£ DYMs if you know the strategy.  with your profits try to satellite into the main event every night to try and gain entry for cheap and thus a big score.  if you must play cash then go to 10nl with occasional shots at 20nl when around the 400£ mark.  look out for a thread called 'Diary of a Recreational Losing Player' for a guy who has build up a nice profit from a similar sized roll to yours by using BR management.
  • edited April 2011
    In Response to Looks Like its DYM's for a while:
    Recently made a deposit of £290 and have played before but i always play outside my bankroll but i fell at my best at the levels of 0.50/1 as i read players better but i simply can'y make the calls in tight spots due to my bankroll. So i am going to play DYM's for a while and try reach a good bankroll as  i dont want to go down to levels like 0.10/0.20 as i get bored and play too mnay hands. I want your views on what you think i should do as i am a good tourney player but the variance is too risky to rely on 1 big cash so what do you think i should do ????
    Posted by Knowlez
    If you get bored easily and play too many hands, perhaps DYM's are not for you. Certainly in the early stages you should be playing very tight. If you are impatient like me and an action junkie the HU sng's are the way forward. There is a growing army of grinders at most levels.