You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Sky Poker forums will be temporarily unavailable from 11pm Wednesday July 25th.
Sky Poker Forums is upgrading its look! Stay tuned for the big reveal!

DYM etiquette.

edited April 2011 in Poker Chat
Just a thought. Playing a DYM today (for no little buy-in), and we were on the bubble. It had been quite even, but as luck would have it, I managed to get a few blinds, and got to over 6,000 chips. The blinds were 400/800. I'm in the big blind (J7off) and the guy UTG shoves for about 1,300 chips. The small blind has about 800 left (on top of the 400 blind). He asks that I call (which may be bordering on collusion), and I typed in the box, "not my job, m8" (as it would take a miracle for me to bubble from there). He then shoves and loses the ensuing race.

What would others have done in my shoes.

1. Not replied (probably the most sensible)
2. Called.
3. Folded.

As it happens, my J 7 would have won. If the small blind folded, I might well have called. It's a funny old game. I'm left feeling slightly guilty, but know I really didn't do anything wrong.

Comments

• edited April 2011
    I would have ignored the chat in this instance.
  • edited April 2011
    In Response to DYM etiquette.:
    Just a thought. Playing a DYM today (for no little buy-in), and we were on the bubble. It had been quite even, but as luck would have it, I managed to get a few blinds, and got to over 6,000 chips. The blinds were 400/800. I'm in the big blind (J7off) and the guy UTG shoves for about 1,300 chips. The small blind has about 800 left (on top of the 400 blind). He asks that I call (which may be bordering on collusion), and I typed in the box, "not my job, m8" (as it would take a miracle for me to bubble from there). He then shoves and loses the ensuing race. What would others have done in my shoes. 1. Not replied (probably the most sensible) 2. Called. 3. Folded. As it happens, my J 7 would have won. If the small blind folded, I might well have called. It's a funny old game. I'm left feeling slightly guilty, but know I really didn't do anything wrong.
    Posted by Eyeman
    if he folds i call,if he calls i fold.

i would not reply to his comment(or i might after the action has finished)

i.e. "dont try to influence a players action"
  • edited April 2011
    In Response to DYM etiquette.:
    Just a thought. Playing a DYM today (for no little buy-in), and we were on the bubble. It had been quite even, but as luck would have it, I managed to get a few blinds, and got to over 6,000 chips. The blinds were 400/800. I'm in the big blind (J7off) and the guy UTG shoves for about 1,300 chips. The small blind has about 800 left (on top of the 400 blind). He asks that I call (which may be bordering on collusion), and I typed in the box, "not my job, m8" (as it would take a miracle for me to bubble from there). He then shoves and loses the ensuing race. What would others have done in my shoes. 1. Not replied (probably the most sensible) 2. Called. 3. Folded. As it happens, my J 7 would have won. If the small blind folded, I might well have called. It's a funny old game. I'm left feeling slightly guilty, but know I really didn't do anything wrong.
    Posted by Eyeman
    I can't comment about online etiquette but it must be similar to live and that is you do not talk about a hand when you are in it or out of it for that matter and you do not influence another player's decision. I suppose it is different in DYM as you don't get them live but I suppose it is like a satellite.

Firstly he shouldn't ask if you intend to call and you probably shouldn't reply as you indicate (indirectly) that you don't intend to call and probably prompt him to shove. He is being naughty fishing for the info in the first place and in my opinion is totally out of order, the other guy may have had summat to say about it if he hadn't come out the correct side of the decision.

You didn't do anything wrong but I would be tempted to ignore any comment like that next time!

Dave
  • edited April 2011
    Personally I would fold and let the two shorty stacks fight it out. In this position you really don't want to double either of them up so folding is the best option.

Double YOUR Money not theirs.
  • edited April 2011

Sounds like a tricky one, the guy who lost was all-in when he called then?

If so, I would fold in this spot anyway as one of them is going to effectively go out this hand. If the guy had chips back the best strategy is to call and both check it down, thus making a 2 vs 1 arrangement.

However, you can never speak of this 'implicit collusion' and the guy has broken the etiquette (and most probably the actual rules) if he literally asked you to call. When someone does this (or even worse just puts 'call', like they're telling you what to do), I generally do what I can to make sure that person bubbles. But then I'm a stickler for etiquette and hate been told what to do by some random.

EDIT: especially don't feel guilty Eyeman, the guy got out of line and learnt (hopefully) the hard way. Good.