You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Sky Poker forums will be temporarily unavailable from 11pm Wednesday July 25th.
Sky Poker Forums is upgrading its look! Stay tuned for the big reveal!

£220 D/S

edited April 2011 in Poker Chat

i know sky like to have this fit into tv time etc but i think the structure needs adjusting somewhat. i know quite a few regs will agree but may not want to say anything but a £220 tournament was over in less than 4 hours. 

yes there were 60 runners but it would be nice if after an hour or so the average stack wasnt 10 big blinds. the edges for the players dramatically decreased because it was a game of mathmatical shove or fold poker like you usually see on the final table, but this was when there were still around half the field left. 

I think for a big tourny with a big buyin it needs alot more play. just my 2 pennies worth...

Comments

• edited April 2011

This WILL be discussed by the Management Team next week. A whole range of parameters need to be considered, though.

• edited April 2011
    In Response to £220 D/S:
    i know sky like to have this fit into tv time etc but i think the structure needs adjusting somewhat.  i know quite a  few regs will agree but may not want to say anything but a £220 tournament was  over in less than 4 hours.  yes there were 60 runners but it would be nice if after an hour or so the average stack wasnt 10 big blinds.  the edges for the players dramatically decreased because it was a game of mathmatical shove or fold poker  like you usually see on the final table, but this was when there were still around half the field left.  I think for a big tourny with a big buyin it needs alot more play. just my 2 pennies worth...
    Posted by hurst05

Totally agree with this. This structure for a £20-£50 would be ok but for £220 it's too shove and hope from the mid-point. Having said that it's good to watch.

• edited April 2011
    I agree with you hurst! Seems like every time i play this tourney i go card dead and end up having to push and raise with very average hands. Would be nice to be able to wait for an hour and still have enough chips to play around with but thats never the case!
  • edited April 2011
    ur all nits. i shoved in 6k in level 2/3 with AQ.  NITS I TELL YEEE

get the chips in :)
  • edited April 2011
    I have to say that, from an outsiders point of view, the format does make for very exciting Poker 

I do appreciate your point though Hurst,  If I was playing in it I would be agreeing with you 100% 
  • edited April 2011
    no problem, glad its being looked at. trial and error, and hopefully it can become bigger and better.
  • edited April 2011
    If any touranent on here needs its structure looking at then it's the VLV final.
  • edited April 2011
    Agreed totally re D/S. Rose to the dizzy heights of 5th after a couple of hours. Looked down a little later and was back in 14th - not sure I'd even played a hand - and realised I was being gobbled up by the blinds
  • edited April 2011
    I would agree with this point also - was a bit quick
  • edited April 2011
    In Response to Re: £220 D/S:
    If any touranent on here needs its structure looking at then it's the VLV final.
    Posted by BrownnDog

VLV final is fine,  no point taking someone who isnt a luckbox to vegas EH COXY
  • edited April 2011
    In Response to Re: £220 D/S : VLV final is fine,  no point taking someone who isnt a luckbox to vegas EH COXY
    Posted by LOL_RAISE

HAHAHAHAAHHA WELL SAID
  • edited April 2011
    In Response to Re: £220 D/S : HAHAHAHAAHHA WELL SAID
    Posted by beaneh
    You can't talk Beaneh, no one runs hotter than you. 
  • edited April 2011
    In Response to Re: £220 D/S : You can't talk Beaneh, no one runs hotter than you. 
    Posted by simuk

levels upon levels..

pots upon kettles upon pots.
  • edited April 2011
    Stop crying hursty,you know the format before you play so if you dont like it then dont play it,simplez really eh?
  • ybyb
    edited April 2011
    Stop crying hursty,you know the format before you play so if you dont like it then dont play it,simplez really eh?
    Posted by debdobs_67
    I think when someone forks out £220 on a tourny entry they have a right to voice their opinion on how it can be improved tbf
  • edited April 2011
    In Response to Re: £220 D/S : I think when someone forks out £220 on a tourny entry they have a right to voice their opinion on how it can be improved tbf
    Posted by yb
    Agreed.  And Tikay immediately acknowledged that it will be discussed by the management.

• edited April 2011
    Is it not a 12 minute clock so after an hour the blinds are 50/100, with starting stacks of 4000 surely the average would not be 10BB as that would be 1000 chips? the most they could do would be 5000 chips and 15minute blinds as in vlv but to finish in time it would need to start about 6pm!! I cant see what they could alter if they have to screen it on a live show, unless they run it as a highlights show on friday, but that would be rubbish, maybe they could run it on saturdays and start at 6pm - i'll stop now im waffling lol
  • edited April 2011
    i think start earlier and 15min blinds, i dont play it but should allow for more
  • edited April 2011
    Posted by debdobs_67
    don't open threads unless they say 2.20DS next time maybe?

kthxbai
  • edited April 2011
    Start the tourny an hour earlier, start the show an hour later, shows are too long, 3 hours is plenty.

Have the presenter/analyst/s watching the table/s for a couple of hours, noting hands, table dynamics, history etc, so they are in a better position to analyse the hands in more depth. 

Another slash as I seem to be slash happy /
  • edited April 2011
    Is it not a 12 minute clock so after an hour the blinds are 50/100, with starting stacks of 4000 surely the average would not be 10BB as that would be 1000 chips? the most they could do would be 5000 chips and 15minute blinds as in vlv but to finish in time it would need to start about 6pm!! I cant see what they could alter if they have to screen it on a live show, unless they run it as a highlights show on friday, but that would be rubbish, maybe they could run it on saturdays and start at 6pm - i'll stop now im waffling lol
    Posted by loonytoons
    slight exaggeration on the 10bb's comment. but still after 90minutes it becomes a game of mathmatical shove or fold poker. 
  • edited April 2011
    Rather than Saturday could you not make it Sunday? Sundays are the big poker day on the other top sites and why should SkyPoker be any different? Start at 6 on a sunday and have a long monster show ideally with one of the big name guests that have been on recently (Channing/Jackson etc) as these have been great to watch and would add a lot to the show.
  • edited April 2011
    Rather than Saturday could you not make it Sunday? Sundays are the big poker day on the other top sites and why should SkyPoker be any different? Start at 6 on a sunday and have a long monster show ideally with one of the big name guests that have been on recently (Channing/Jackson etc) as these have been great to watch and would add a lot to the show.
    Posted by MattBates
    Hi Matt,

Good to watch you play the other night - that's some game you have!

The "big name" Guests will continue on Sky Poker Channel 865 for the foreseeable future, as they intend to continue with the policy.

The £220 DS is currently on a THURSDAY, not a Saturday.

As to "why be different to other sites" (who have their "big" nights on a Sunday), Sky Poker might equally say "why not be different"!

It's pretty easy to follow the herd, & do what all other Sites do, but it's good to take a different line sometimes, too. Almost all the other sites are suffering seriously declining traffic volumes, whilst Sky Poker is recording huge year on year traffic increases. Sometimes it's rewarding to go against the flow, & try to think different. 

Good Post, thank you.  
  • edited April 2011

For those who don't think the Structure of this Tourney is quite right, you will have the chance to change it very shortly......
  • edited April 2011
    The advantage of sticking the big monthly tournament on a Saturday or Sunday is just that it can start earlier (fewer people will be struggling to make it after work) and that will give more play.

Yes, we know the structure beforehand, but in some ways, paying the entry makes us a stake-holder in the site, and (as has already been said by Tikay) our views do count.

This month had a full field of 60 players, but quite a few of those will be thinking that it's a lot of hard-earned to be chucking at a turnament with such a structure. Would you rather play the Sunday million for 2/3 of the price, and much more play?
  • edited April 2011
    The advantage of sticking the big monthly tournament on a Saturday or Sunday is just that it can start earlier (fewer people will be struggling to make it after work) and that will give more play. Yes, we know the structure beforehand, but in some ways, paying the entry makes us a stake-holder in the site, and (as has already been said by Tikay) our views do count. This month had a full field of 60 players, but quite a few of those will be thinking that it's a lot of hard-earned to be chucking at a turnament with such a structure. Would you rather play the Sunday million for 2/3 of the price, and much more play?
    Posted by Eyeman
    All agreed, though personally - & I seem to be almost a unique exception, in that, never in my entire (poker) life, have I entered a Tourney, Live OR Online, without first checking that I think the Structure is OK. (Blinds, starting points, levels, clock etc). Guess I'm just OCD about these things, but I'm committed to looking at stuff BEFORE I buy it, & if I don't like what I'm getting, I don't buy it. A very old-fashioned view, it would seem. 

Anyway, I'm just prepping something about Tourney Structures on Sky Poker which should be every players dream come true. Hopefully, it will be on the Forum later today.

There'll be NO complaints after that!  
  • edited April 2011
    In Response to Re: £220 D/S : All agreed, though personally - & I seem to be almost a unique exception, in that, never in my entire (poker) life, have I entered a Tourney, Live OR Online, without first checking that I think the Structure is OK. (Blinds, starting points, levels, clock etc). Guess I'm just OCD about these things, but I'm committed to looking at stuff BEFORE I buy it, & if I don't like what I'm getting, I don't buy it. A very old-fashioned view, it would seem.  Anyway, I'm just prepping something about Tourney Structures on Sky Poker which should be every players dream come true. Hopefully, it will be on the Forum later today. There'll be NO complaints after that!   
    Posted by Tikay10

Oh  Exciting, exciting, exciting.  Your last few have been belters,cant wait for this one 

Reference your point that I have highlighted...........  On this Site  HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAH

• edited April 2011
    Just to point out, I agree with you, Tikay. I have never bought into the £220 DS (but have satted in) as the structure doesn't appeal at £220 (at £48, it's ok). Looking forwards to the announcement..
  • edited April 2011
    In Response to Re: £220 D/S : All agreed, though personally - & I seem to be almost a unique exception, in that, never in my entire (poker) life, have I entered a Tourney, Live OR Online, without first checking that I think the Structure is OK. (Blinds, starting points, levels, clock etc). Guess I'm just OCD about these things, but I'm committed to looking at stuff BEFORE I buy it, & if I don't like what I'm getting, I don't buy it. A very old-fashioned view, it would seem.  Anyway, I'm just prepping something about Tourney Structures on Sky Poker which should be every players dream come true. Hopefully, it will be on the Forum later today. There'll be NO complaints after that!   
    Posted by Tikay10
    maybe its because ive never made it past 90 minutes to find out then lol.

on face value looking at the tournament before it starts then the structure looks great, 4,000 chips, 12min blinds, heaven. when i played it thursday night after 90 mins i was like wow this in truth is pretty fast poker.