You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Sky Poker forums will be temporarily unavailable from 11pm Wednesday July 25th.
Sky Poker Forums is upgrading its look! Stay tuned for the big reveal!

Tracking software...

edited April 2011 in Poker Chat

As still a fairly new player, and looking to improve my game in all areas, does this software really help? and can it be used on sky poker?

Comments

• edited April 2011

No, it cannot be used on SP.

Does it help? Yes. And on a site where you can use it, you are at a distinct disadvantage if you don't.

However, if you are relatively new to the  game, it's a good thing to be playing without it initially.
    Tracking software can make you lazy, and it's pretty important to be watching what other players are doing, and to be making notes of  things that stand out for each.

• edited April 2011
    I'm not getting into this again.
  • edited April 2011
    Thanks for info...just looking to get better, have read some books which does offer a certain amount of knowledge, is it just down to playing alot and gaining experience? im only playing mirco stakes still.
  • edited April 2011
    Hi Jonny, welcome aboard, I think it is down to gaining experience, nothing you read in a book is half as good as learning to play by your own experience imo--- If you want to learn a good game without it costing you too much, then why not try the 2.20 deep stack games, you get 5000 chips and 12min blinds, so lots of play for your your money, they can last up to 4 hours, so you won't get a better value game for a beginner---- gl -- floppa whoppa!!!
  • edited April 2011
    I agree that deep-stack tournaments are a really good way of learning to play. You get to see loads of hands pretty cheaply, and if you get lucky you might also win a load of money!

I use Hold Em Indicator on other sites as a learning tool - for probabilities and pot odds and so on. I'm aware it won't be there in live games but I think that it can be useful providing you don't lean on it. Software can mess with your natural playing style, and if that style is actually quite effective, you might find yourself doing things you instinctively know you shouldn't be.

There is, of course, no replacement for experience...
  • edited April 2011
    In Response to Re: Tracking software...:
    Hi Jonny, welcome aboard, I think it is down to gaining experience, nothing you read in a book is half as good as learning to play by your own experience imo--- If you want to learn a good game without it costing you too much, then why not try the 2.20 deep stack games, you get 5000 chips and 12min blinds, so lots of play for your your money, they can last up to 4 hours, so you won't get a better value game for a beginner---- gl -- floppa whoppa!!!
    Posted by oynutter
    Or if your names oynutter, 20 minutes max :)
  • edited April 2011
    Tracking software isn't much use for tournaments anyway, it's best use is in cash games, you need tens of thousands of hands before the numbers start to become meaningful.
  • edited April 2011
    In Response to Re: Tracking software... : Or if your names oynutter, 20 minutes max :)
    Posted by loonytoons
    Watch it you loony!!--I'll have you know I won one yesterday, with 98 runners!!!---so ner ner na ner ner!!!!!

Well said megabyte, I actually believe that reading books is very bad for your game, we have to play on our instincts on-line, and we have to develop our own game, abc players often learn from books, but I don't think it's abc players that make outstanding winners
  • edited April 2011
    I know for certain that I have made some right idiot plays as a result of using software before now!

I think that reading/studying and using those kinds of tools can be helpful, but you just need to have discretion about what you take from them and learn your own lessons along the way.

Says she, the really brilliant player :-S
  • edited April 2011
    I know for certain that I have made some right idiot plays as a result of using software before now! I think that reading/studying and using those kinds of tools can be helpful, but you just need to have discretion about what you take from them and learn your own lessons along the way. Says she, the really brilliant player :-S
    Posted by MMegabyte
    Aye, thing is, I really don't think you can read a book on poker without it affecting your game, best to leave them alone imo
  • edited April 2011
    In Response to Re: Tracking software... : Aye, thing is, I really don't think you can read a book on poker without it affecting your game, best to leave them alone imo
    Posted by oynutter

I agree with you oynutter regarding books on poker.i think they can mess up people's playing style.The only advice i would take from poker books is when they give some information about table selection which i feel can help.

However some players say that reading books improves their game so it is all about what you feel is best for you.
  • edited April 2011
    Ive only read a couple, and like was said, are usefull with advice on table selection, and dont play tired/drunk! but not really game improving...i do win at micro stakes..but that is playing abc stuff, what level is best to get proper game? and by that i mean u can make moves and get respect, rather than people just calling raises and getting lucky?
  • edited April 2011
    Ive only read a couple, and like was said, are usefull with advice on table selection, and dont play tired/drunk! but not really game improving...i do win at micro stakes..but that is playing abc stuff, what level is best to get proper game? and by that i mean u can make moves and get respect, rather than people just calling raises and getting lucky?
    Posted by jonny124
    They aint invented a level that high lol.
  • edited April 2011
    Posted by jonny124
    If you find what level this is can you let me know so I can avoid it.
  • edited April 2011
    Sounds to me you want a table of nits. Look for a table with a low average pot, this way when you raise they all fold and you never win a decent sized pot...

You will soon learn you want a table of bad players, they may get lucky once or twice, but if they stay long enough you will win it back. If they get "Lucky" every hand then maybe you need to check your not giving them odds to keep catching their draws
  • edited April 2011

I just find when u get called and rivered...which does seem to happern alot on sky...its a triffle annoying! maybe i just want to be called and rivered by better players...lol

• edited April 2011
    I just find when u get called and rivered...which does seem to happern alot on sky...its a triffle annoying! maybe i just want to be called and rivered by better players...lol
    Posted by jonny124
    maybe you are.