You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Sky Poker forums will be temporarily unavailable from 11pm Wednesday July 25th.
Sky Poker Forums is upgrading its look! Stay tuned for the big reveal!

is it ok to limp with aces 3 handed?

edited April 2011 in The Poker Clinic
ok, on this occ it didnt work, but do you still raise pre and risk losing both players or can you limp and hope they catch the flop. % of the time you are still going to be ahead post flop , with the intention of playing it strong there? richtea Small blind £0.10 £0.10 £26.29 shakydaz Big blind  £0.20 £0.30 £9.95   Your hole cards A A       pod1 Call  £0.20 £0.50 £32.11 richtea Call  £0.10 £0.60 £26.19 shakydaz Check     Flop    6 A Q       richtea Check     shakydaz Check     pod1 Bet  £0.45 £1.05 £31.66 richtea Fold     shakydaz Raise  £1.95 £3.00 £8.00 pod1 Raise  £6.00 £9.00 £25.66 shakydaz All-in  £8.00 £17.00 £0.00 pod1 Call  £3.50 £20.50 £22.16 shakydaz Show 9 5    pod1 Show A A    Turn    4       River    J       shakydaz Win Flush to the Ace £19.47  £19.4

Comments

• edited April 2011
    limp reraising? hugobang Small blind  £0.15 £0.15 £23.61 lordanator Big blind  £0.30 £0.45 £19.08   Your hole cards A A       richtea Fold     pod1 Call  £0.30 £0.75 £48.68 ProPlayer Fold     FINS Raise  £0.90 £1.65 £27.60 hugobang Call  £0.75 £2.40 £22.86 lordanator Fold     pod1 Raise  £2.40 £4.80 £46.28 FINS Fold     hugobang Call  £1.80 £6.60 £21.06 Flop    3 4 2       hugobang Check     pod1 Bet  £4.95 £11.55 £41.33 hugobang Call  £4.95 £16.50 £16.11 Turn    7       hugobang Check     pod1 All-in  £41.33 £57.83 £0.00 hugobang All-in  £16.11 £73.94 £0.00 pod1 Unmatched bet  £25.22 £48.72 £25.22 hugobang Show A 5    pod1 Show A A    River    6       hugobang Win Straight to the 7 £46.92  £46
  • edited April 2011
    Either play seems ok for me, a trap set with AA is fine but if that flop drops scary then you have to bet it hard or worse lay them bad boys down.
    Maybe someone cathes top pr and your trap works. This play works out good most of the time, occasionally they will out flop you and you will feel like a fish by not raising when your out sitting at the bar  :)

I personally don't like playing AA v more than 2 players. But it's like AA paranoia because you just don't want someone having an easy life in cracking them. On the flip you raise they fold and you loose value over time.
    Maybe look at your table image and basically if you have been raising a lot you can continue raising with your AA and you will have greater chance of getting action. Obviously if your playing a low percentage of hands then a trap will feel a better play. Like all hands though, all situational.

There's always a nice warm feeling when you flat with AA and someone raises behind you :) But if someone starts playing back at you on the flop it does place you in a tough spot and sometimes they have top pr or better which you beat or have flopped 2 pr either way it's very hard to lay down. Most of the time it's only flush/straight's that are obvious where you would even consider laying down, but at the same time your thinking maybe they making a play at you.
    Essentially trapping with AA can place you in difficult spots but on the flip most of the time you should come out on top.

I'am rambling Bye :)
  • ybyb
    edited April 2011
    hand 1 you should be raising with 100% of your opening range, limping otb 3 handed is pretty awful.

hand 2 do you have a balanced limp/raising range?
  • edited April 2011
    could you explain what you mean by hand 2 yb, me no comprehenda
  • edited April 2011
    Would you make the play with loads of different hands? Or just AA and KK?

i.e - Is it obvious to the other players that you have aces when you limp/rr?
  • edited April 2011
    must be quite balanced as he called it with a5 so prob not putting me on aa kk!!
  • edited April 2011
    im sure <nl50 hand2 will work vs people who arent paying attention.

but so would just raising and overbetting every street
  • edited April 2011
    For me I don't limp with aces in cash in any pos!

Try and be consistent and raise same every time, it also might stop junk hands coming along and outflopping you!

• edited April 2011
    In Response to Re: is it ok to limp with aces 3 handed?:
    For me I don't limp with aces in cash in any pos! Try and be consistent and raise same every time, it also might stop junk hands coming along and outflopping you!
    Posted by donkeyplop
    lol it doesnt!!

but i also will never limp with AA in a cash game

I might in an mtt/sng on the odd occasion against the right opponant (s)
  • edited April 2011
    Maybe people just fold to my raises as im a nit ;)
  • edited April 2011
    In Response to Re: is it ok to limp with aces 3 handed?:
    In Response to Re: is it ok to limp with aces 3 handed? : lol it doesnt!! but i also will never limp with AA in a cash game I might in an mtt/sng on the odd occasion against the right opponant (s)
    Posted by GREGHOGG
    Me ;)
  • edited April 2011
    My 2c - Ive never really been a fan of this-surely its better just to never limp the button three handed? I mean, most of the time no-one will have anything so a lot of your profit will come from winning pots uncontested when playing three handed, thus just raise lots of junk and have aa as hand thats alwways i your range to partly deter people playin back at you. Hand two is prety awful by both of you,but I will ad that you woudl have got away from your hand by simply rasing pre - and if your going to limp reraise, make it bigger, 11bb min