You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Sky Poker forums will be temporarily unavailable from 11pm Wednesday July 25th.
Sky Poker Forums is upgrading its look! Stay tuned for the big reveal!

Call or fold over time?

Whats the common view on these type of situations. I havent been playing the game long and these types of hands are still a bit of a grey area. No read on the player, although he seems to get involved maybe too much so his range is reasonably wide in my opinion.

Basically, is this a call due to me having 2 over cards or is this a situation where you just have to let go? Any explanation on this type of scenario from the more experienced players would be very helpful.

My take on this is that he only hits his flop 1 out of 3 times so i am unlucky if he has hit his jacks here but also, if he had hit, would he be making a statement like he did by betting here. If he has hit i would have thought he would checked so he could easily be c-betting. Basically i dont know what the correct play is.

Hand History #358369698 (20:39 03/04/2011)

PlayerActionCardsAmountPotBalance
DrSharp Small blind  £0.04 £0.04 £12.97
Glentelli Big blind  £0.08 £0.12 £5.67
  Your hole cards
  • Q
  • K

potbuster Fold     
lukiluki88 Fold     
xRaise  £0.24 £0.36 £20.36
DrSharp Call  £0.20 £0.56 £12.77
Glentelli Fold     
Flop

• J
  • J

DrSharp Check     
xBet  £0.28 £0.84 £20.08
DrSharp ?

Comments

• edited April 2011
    He's raised 3x on the button at 8NL so that straight away puts him into the top 5-10% at this level. The call with KQ is ok as folding is a little tight.

Your OOP in whole hand against someone who seems to know how to play so I'd think calling flop isn't good as you realy need to hit, for me it's a fold. Although maybe the fact he can play also means he can fold to a raise but I don't like bluffing at these limits.
  • edited April 2011
    Thanks dudeskin. The player in question can raise from the button with pretty much any two cards so i am not worried about that. I dont have to put him on the jacks as he has seen my check as a weakness and he could easily represent here. If i was correct, and he has missed, then i would still probably be infront with King high wouldnt i?

Dunno, guess i am really asking how often does he bet this if he hits his jacks? Majority at this level will fold to a bet on a board like this and he will know that. Maybe a fold on the flop will be a better decision over time but i always think 'how often does he have it?'