You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Sky Poker forums will be temporarily unavailable from 11pm Wednesday July 25th.
Sky Poker Forums is upgrading its look! Stay tuned for the big reveal!

Beat the clock

edited April 2011 in Poker Chat
Mate top idea this, i would play it

Comments

• edited April 2011
    A 1 hour tournament all players start with 5000 chips and 12 minute blinds as in the deepstack, and after an hour the game stops and the prizes are distributed as in the normal tournament payout structure as per finishing position, i reckon the last ten minutes would be great, as players vie for position, but have a 7 second clock to stop time wasting! Also this would be easy to implement.
    EDIT :- Run it every night at 9pm, £2.20 and £100 guarantee to start, maybe tweak this as sky sees fit?
  • edited April 2011
    interesting idea
  • edited April 2011
    In Response to Re: Beat the clock:
    interesting idea
    Posted by lozgo
    Thanks! and at least everyone would know when it was finishing, so if you only had a spare hour and a half, you would at least know you could finish playing the game, how many mtt's can you guarantee to finish in an hour?
  • edited April 2011
    In Response to Re: Beat the clock : Thanks! and at least everyone would know when it was finishing, so if you only had a spare hour and a half, you would at least know you could finish playing the game, how many mtt's can you guarantee to finish in an hour?
    Posted by loonytoons
    so true. no rebuys tho please.
  • edited April 2011
    This is a great idea.

I say that as I was going to post this idea up too.

Glad I checked to make sure somebody else hadn't already thought of it.
  • edited April 2011
    I could stay awake for an hour - at a push.  A big YES
  • edited April 2011

You have a 'Yes' from me...........but would like to know the reasons why 4 ppl have voted 'No'.
    We all, at times find ourselves in need of a fix for a quickish game but not play cash ones and dym's are so long and boring most of the time.....this is a gr8 idea.   
  • edited April 2011
    In Response to Re: Beat the clock : You have a 'Yes' from me...........but would like to know the reasons why 4 ppl have voted 'No'. We all, at times find ourselves in need of a fix for a quickish game but not play cash ones and dym's are so long and boring most of the time.....this is a gr8 idea.   
    Posted by billyboots
    I agree, and because i get up early for work during the week, i dont play mtt after 8pm in case it goes beyond 11pm, but if this was on at 9pm i would play it as i would still get my beauty sleep at 10pm lol.
  • edited April 2011
    Perhaps people have put "no" could be down to the below?

Wouldn't a finite timescale mean an utter shovefest in the last 10 minutes?

Scenario... you manage after 55 mins to climb to 3rd, with say a 1.5k chip lead over 4th.  Anyone below 20th for example, in these last few minutes; probably 5 out of 6 on a  table; will, almost guaranteed, be getting it all in with any hand from 78 sooted and above because they need to at least treble up to get a prize.  It'll be like Russian roulette with a lot more players...

You (perhaps after playing tight aggro and picking spots for 5/6th of the tournament) will have gone from 3rd to 19th or something in 60 seconds, meaning, you need to at least double/treble up in the next 2 hands. Rinse repeat. Shove, call, call, shove, fold, call.  Not sure how many players would be left after the hour. Which in itself leads to an interesting dynamic.

It would be mayhem and no doubt great fun.  Not sure it would take off for any buy-in more than £5.50. though? The £2.20 suggested sounds bob on.
  • edited April 2011
         love this idea, i voted "yes please" ^_^ x

• edited April 2011
    Yes!

I like this one a lot , best suggestion I've seen so far, ideal for people who haven't got enough time to commit to a regular DS, I'd like to see these during the day too.
  • edited April 2011
    Yes!   I like this one a lot , best suggestion I've seen so far, ideal for people who haven't got enough time to commit to a regular DS, I'd like to see these during the day too.
    Posted by GaryQQQ
    The reason i said a 9pm start was because i dont play any mtt's after 8pm during the week because i have to get up for work in the morning, and if i knew it would finish at 10pm and not end up going on until the late night/early hours i would play it, as with a lot of players i feel.
  • edited April 2011
    FAO; .... Loonytoons

As I said b4, I'm in favour of this idea but on reflection I have to agree with DTM on it being total carnage at the death esp if you too are many left in. Therefore, I would like to see it tweaked to allow the game to be less of a lottery towards the end of the game (by having less players involved in the carnage).
    I suggest increasing the levels right down to say, every 2 or 3 mins. as opposed to 12mins.
    My reasoning for this ?....is to allow players time to dodge bullets at the beginning but will still need to get busy early doors bcoz the blinds will soon come round thick and fast.
    Hopefully this will see a higher percentage of the field being frozen out by the time the tournament ends and you may even get a proper conclusion to the game.
    Your thoughts pls...........good or bad idea?, any further tweaking reqd or leave alone ?....... ty 
    Ps; This is still your baby Loony and I'm only trying to enhance it bcoz of the valid reasons DTM highlighted......Billy  

Ps;.........if those who voted 'NO' are in favour of any amendments, are they able to retract their 'NO' vote ? just wondered    
  • edited April 2011
    In Response to Re: Beat the clock : FAO; .... Loonytoons As I said b4, I'm in favour of this idea but on reflection I have to agree with DTM on it being total carnage at the death esp if you too are many left in. Therefore, I would like to see it tweaked to allow the game to be less of a lottery towards the end of the game (by having less players involved in the carnage). I suggest increasing the levels right down to say, every 2 or 3 mins. as opposed to 12mins. My reasoning for this ?....is to allow players time to dodge bullets at the beginning but will still need to get busy early doors bcoz the blinds will soon come round thick and fast. Hopefully this will see a higher percentage of the field being frozen out by the time the tournament ends and you may even get a proper conclusion to the game. Your thoughts pls...........good or bad idea?, any further tweaking reqd or leave alone ?....... ty  Ps; This is still your baby Loony and I'm only trying to enhance it bcoz of the valid reasons DTM highlighted......Billy   Ps;.........if those who voted 'NO' are in favour of any amendments, are they able to retract their 'NO' vote ? just wondered    
    Posted by billyboots
    Thanks for your reply. The reason i made it deepstack/long levels is to stop the total carnage early on. If it becomes 2/3 minute blinds it wont last half an hour let alone an hour, it would just become another roulette or velocity tourney and would be total carnage after 10 minutes. I believe this way would provide at least 50 minutes of great play, and remember the blinds will still be only 40/80 so if you have say 10000 chips (double starting stack) you will still be able to pick your spots, but players would have to keep a close check on the lobby to assess positioning. I agree that it will mean a lot of shoving for those further down the table off the cash, and the players above will just have to watch their position, tactics will play a big part, are you going to be happy just cashing mid payout, or will you go for the big bucks? but a shove fest happens at the end of most tournies anyway, its just that this will happen a bit earlier thats all! I truelly believe that the last 10 minutes will be great viewing, where is your 'wicked' side lol, its all about having fun for a low buy in with something different from the normal  mundane tournies, lets give it a try, whats the most you can lose, £2.20?
  • edited April 2011
    Yes!

Maybe also a 30min one whenever eastenders or corrie start
  • edited April 2011
     where is your 'wicked' side lol, its all about having fun for a low buy in with something different from the normal  mundane tournies, lets give it a try, whats the most you can lose, £2.20?
    Posted by loonytoons

Ok....I bow to your sense of adventure (just imagine how many extra runners you could get if you ran these all day at say £1 buy-in. this site would go through the roof in membership numbers, just look at how poular tonights freeroll is). :)-  
  • edited April 2011
    In Response to Re: Beat the clock :   where is your 'wicked' side lol, its all about having fun for a low buy in with something different from the normal  mundane tournies, lets give it a try, whats the most you can lose, £2.20? Posted by loonytoons
    Ok....I bow to your sense of adventure (just imagine how many extra runners you could get if you ran these all day at say £1 buy-in.this site would go through the roof in membership numbers, just look at how poular tonights freeroll is). :)-  
    Posted by billyboots

This is worth thinking about, i was thinking £2.20 was cheap but some players would prefer the £1.10 cost i suppose, but thats sky decision
  • edited April 2011
    Surely, if this tournament followed the current deepstack model, during the last 12 minutes (when the shove-fest would be happening) the blinds in the middle would only be worth 120 therefore there wouldn't be too much shuffling of positions UNLESS they were called. You could even introduce an extra blind level at level 4 of 25-50, the blinds in the last 12 minutes would then only be 30-60, meaning any open shove in the last level would only win 90 extra chips and make little or no difference to the overall positions.

A good idea and gets my vote especially if it ran at a low buy-in.
  • edited April 2011
    Surely, if this tournament followed the current deepstack model, during the last 12 minutes (when the shove-fest would be happening) the blinds in the middle would only be worth 120 therefore there wouldn't be too much shuffling of positions UNLESS they were called. You could even introduce an extra blind level at level 4 of 25-50, the blinds in the last 12 minutes would then only be 30-60, meaning any open shove in the last level would only win 90 extra chips and make little or no difference to the overall positions. A good idea and gets my vote especially if it ran at a low buy-in.
    Posted by sweetylady
    i like this idea, however i thought if we keep it the same format as the deepstack, players would be more used to the tourny dynamics and 60 or 90 pots is pretty similar in the scheme of things if you have 10000 - 15000 chips by this stage?
  • edited April 2011
    In Response to Re: Beat the clock : Thanks for your reply. The reason i made it deepstack/long levels is to stop the total carnage early on. If it becomes 2/3 minute blinds it wont last half an hour let alone an hour, it would just become another roulette or velocity tourney and would be total carnage after 10 minutes. I believe this way would provide at least 50 minutes of great play, and remember the blinds will still be only 40/80 so if you have say 10000 chips (double starting stack) you will still be able to pick your spots, but players would have to keep a close check on the lobby to assess positioning. I agree that it will mean a lot of shoving for those further down the table off the cash, and the players above will just have to watch their position, tactics will play a big part, are you going to be happy just cashing mid payout, or will you go for the big bucks? but  a shove fest happens at the Beggining, Middle and end of most tournies anyway , its just that this will happen a bit earlier thats all! I truelly believe that the last 10 minutes will be great viewing, where is your 'wicked' side lol, its all about having fun for a low buy in with something different from the normal  mundane tournies, lets give it a try, whats the most you can lose, £2.20?
    Posted by loonytoons
    FYP lol

you get a big yes from me sounds like a great idea a short tournament for a small buy in what can go wrong ?? NOTHING I HEAR << exactly :)