You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Sky Poker forums will be temporarily unavailable from 11pm Wednesday July 25th.
Sky Poker Forums is upgrading its look! Stay tuned for the big reveal!

The Design-A-Comp-Comp!

edited April 2011 in Poker Chat

So, you want to see bigger-better/smaller/wider/longer/different Tourneys here on Sky Poker?

Or you’d like to amend the structure of an existing Sky Poker Tourney, to make it better?

Or you have an idea for a Tourney that you’d like to see introduced?

Maybe a nightly one, a twice weekly one, a weekly one, a monthly one?

Or a Satellite to whatever?

Maybe a THEMED Tourney, or a series of Tourneys, perhaps a 2 Day Event, or “multiple Event” (like Orford’s Multiballs), a Team Event like TKO, or SURVIVOR, la de da.

In short, whatever you think would work, or would like to play. But remember, if it has no mass appeal, it just ain’t gonna work.

And the Prizes for the winners of the Design-A-Comp-Comp?

Comments

• edited April 2011
    Already done one lol.
  • edited April 2011

Oh yes.

THREE Primo Entries, worth £55 each, to the best three entries.

THREE Thursday Bounty Hunter Entries, worth £33 each, to the three runners-up.

PLUSSSSSSSSS

If your Tourney gets “adopted” by Sky Poker, then you will get FREE ENTRY for the FIRST FIVE TIMES it runs.*

*Up to a maximum value of £100.  

So, how do you enter the Design-A-Comp-Comp?

• edited April 2011

OK, here we go…..

1)      Start your own Thread. Enter as many times as you like, but each entry needs its own thread.

2)

Include a Poll if you wish. ”Like” or “Dislike”. Encourage others to VOTE FOR YOU. If an Entry gets a big “in favour” Vote, it will not win the Comp, but it might sway the judges(s).

3)

Include ALL the Detail! Time it starts, what nights, starting chips, Blind Levels, Clock, Freezeout, Rebuy, BH, NLH or Omaha, EVERYTHING. Does it need a Guarantee? If so, how much? (Think practical, though).

4)

MOST IMPORTANT! Include a NAME for your Tourney, or “Event”, or series of Events. Needs to be a cool name, a name that “works” well. A tourney with a bad name won’t cut the mustard. Try & think of a cool name. Needs to be fairly short though. (character limit ftw).

5)

So, that’s about it. Any questions, ask. The Design-A-Comp-Comp will be judged by Sky-Adam, as Adam is the Product Manager, he makes the final decision as to what is, or is not, on Sky Poker. The Design-A-Comp-Comp will be open for 7 Days, & will close at Midnight next Monday. I’ll do my own Entry shortly, to help establish the format, if it helps, if not, just get going.

• edited April 2011

Good Luck all. Hopefully, we’ll be playing YOUR Tourney, with YOUR Structure, maybe YOUR name, which YOU designed, very soon.

PS - If anyone names their Comp the "One-Time" Comp, I'm so gonna have them shot. Just saying, that's all. 
  • edited April 2011
    Maybe this should be a sticky.
  • edited April 2011

Good start, with some grand ideas already.

Curiously, after quite a bit of negative noise last week, not one Entrant has suggested that the structure for the £220DS needs changing. In fact, I don't recall any Entry so far which has suggested altering the structures/start time of any existing Tourney, which struck me as interesting. 

Keep the threads coming.
  • edited April 2011
    In Response to Re: The Design-A-Comp-Comp!:
    Maybe this should be a sticky.
    Posted by Eyeman
    Maybe, yes - 2 or 3 inbound PM's & an MSN Message said the same thing.

So I have mentioned it to the Suits, & it's up to them now. In the interim, I arranged a tactical bump. ;)
  • edited April 2011

Cooking now!

Loving the range of responses.

Some of the proposed Tourney Titles are pretty neat, too.

I'm glad it is not me judging this. Tough spot for Adam, but it was his idea, serves him right!
  • edited April 2011
  • edited April 2011
    Good start, with some grand ideas already. Curiously, after quite a bit of negative noise last week, not one Entrant has suggested that the structure for the £220DS needs changing. In fact, I don't recall any Entry so far which has suggested altering the structures/start time of any existing Tourney, which struck me as interesting.  Keep the threads coming.
    Posted by Tikay10
    I think this is coz everyone is trying to catch the eye with something spectacular, and win the primo seat.

Subtle/obvious changes are obviously going to be over-looked for the prize, even though they are probably the most practical and most needed also.

every mtt should have a 500/1,000 blind level for example, but that's just gonna get lost/overlooked amongst all the krazy ideas ppl are coming up with. 

• edited April 2011
    In Response to Re: The Design-A-Comp-Comp! : I think this is coz everyone is trying to catch the eye with something spectacular, and win the primo seat. Subtle/obvious changes are obviously going to be over-looked for the prize, even though they are probably the most practical and most needed also. every mtt should have a 500/1,000 blind level for example, but that's just gonna get lost/overlooked amongst all the krazy ideas ppl are coming up with. 
    Posted by DOHHHHHHH
    I think you may well be right.......

But here's the thing. All the players have a chance to change things, to come up with useful/good ideas, which Sky Poker may well adopt.

These INCLUDE (as my OP stated) Tourney Structures.

Now, after last week's £220 DS, several players argued that the structure was poor, for a £220 Event. And maybe it was, or was not.

But now, given the chance to make alternative suggestions, nobody has suggested changing it, or what it should be changed to! What message do you think that sends to the Suits?

I mean, here's the thing. Several players said it was too "sharp", but not ONE of them said what it SHOULD be. (And still have not). It's pretty easy to "knock", but surely, if they are going to criticise (constructively, & fairly) then they'd include a suggestion as to what it SHOULd be?

I suppose I'm biased, because I spent a lot of my working life working with a business genius, a bluff Yorkshireman called Mr John Kirkland OBE. If anyone ever went to him & complained about something, he'd sit & listen politely, then say, "so what do you suggest?" He'd also say "how come you are complaining AFTER, & not BEFORE?" And woe betide you if you took him a problem/complaint, but no solution.

"Listen up you daft ******, I can get anyone to tell me what is WRONG, I don't need you for that. What I want is someone to bring me the solution, not the ****** problem"...... 

Which is probz a poor example, but you get the drift.

And guess what will be said in one month's time, after the NEXT £220 DS? Yup, "too fast". And some bright spark in Head Office will say "well you had the chance to suggest a better structure for it, but not a single person did......."  

PS - I exempt you from that - you had the good sense to say that EVERY Tourney should have a 500-1,000 Level. I could not agree more - it's a simple, but brilliant, idea.  And an easy one to implement! Nobody has mentioned the MTT Structures though, so they must be just fine......;)

• edited April 2011
    In Response to Re: The Design-A-Comp-Comp! : I think you may well be right....... But here's the thing. All the players have a chance to change things, to come up with useful/good ideas, which Sky Poker may well adopt. These INCLUDE (as my OP stated) Tourney Structures. Now, after last week's £220 DS, several players argued that the structure was poor, for a £220 Event. And maybe it was, or was not. But now, given the chance to make alternative suggestions, nobody has suggested changing it, or what it should be changed to! What message do you think that sends to the Suits? I mean, here's the thing. Several players said it was too "sharp", but not ONE of them said what it SHOULD be. (And still have not). It's pretty easy to "knock", but surely, if they are going to criticise (constructively, & fairly) then they'd include a suggestion as to what it SHOULd be? I suppose I'm biased, because I spent a lot of my working life working with a business genius, a bluff Yorkshireman called Mr John Kirkland OBE. If anyone ever went to him & complained about something, he'd sit & listen politely, then say, "so what do you suggest?" He'd also say "how come you are complaining AFTER, & not BEFORE?" And woe betide you if you took him a problem/complaint, but no solution. "Listen up you daft ******, I can get anyone to tell me what is WRONG, I don't need you for that. What I want is someone to bring me the solution, not the ****** problem"......  Which is probz a poor example, but you get the drift. And guess what will be said in one month's time, after the NEXT £220 DS? Yup, "too fast". And some bright spark in Head Office will say "well you had the chance to suggest a better structure for it, but not a single person did......."   PS - I exempt you from that - you had the good sense to say that EVERY Tourney should have a 500-1,000 Level. I could not agree more - it's a simple, but brilliant, idea.  And an easy one to implement! Nobody has mentioned the MTT Structures though, so they must be just fine......;)
    Posted by Tikay10

The bolded is complete rubbish.

Sky tournament structures on a rating of 1-10 are wedged in between -40 and -45 it's pathetic.

Pay 1k +£100 RAKE for an awful structure, absolutely awful. The £220 is no better.

Saying "TV scheduling" has been skys reasoning for being completely stale and never changing anything. TV factors are always more important. 

Not all tournies are on TV, so not all tournies even need the godawful structures.

I find it quite rude that you say things as if it's the sky players fault for not suggesting stuff, when anything suggested is 'passed on' into the black hole of corporation land, there is always someone else that can be blamed for not letting it be implemented. Suggestions have been MADE FROM DAY ONE and they HAVE NEVER, I REPEAT NEVER BEEN LISTENED TO.

Then saying that no one has yet suggested a structure change therefore we must be right, is so dumb it's incredible. Just because the casual player doesn't know how to improve a structure doesn't mean they wouldn't enjoy the benefits from playing a properly structure tourny rather than a 3 min shove fest. 

You could always open the suggestions forum, and look back through the 23 PAGES of suggestions.

Instead the general forum is filled with page upon page of one post threads, completely killing it as a forum and killing all posts previously made.

It'd be lovely if sky could understand tourny structures, learn what an ante is and realise that more chips does not equal 'more play' or 'a better structure'.

• edited April 2011
    In Response to Re: The Design-A-Comp-Comp! : The bolded is complete rubbish. Sky tournament structures on a rating of 1-10 are wedged in between -40 and -45 it's pathetic. Pay 1k +£100 RAKE for an awful structure, absolutely awful. The £220 is no better. Saying "TV scheduling" has been skys reasoning for being completely stale and never changing anything. TV factors are always more important.  Not all tournies are on TV, so not all tournies even need the godawful structures. I find it quite rude that you say things as if it's the sky players fault for not suggesting stuff, when anything suggested is 'passed on' into the black hole of corporation land, there is always someone else that can be blamed for not letting it be implemented. Suggestions have been MADE FROM DAY ONE and they HAVE NEVER, I REPEAT NEVER BEEN LISTENED TO. Then saying that no one has yet suggested a structure change therefore we must be right, is so dumb it's incredible. Just because the casual player doesn't know how to improve a structure doesn't mean they wouldn't enjoy the benefits from playing a properly structure tourny rather than a 3 min shove fest.  You could always open the suggestions forum, and look back through the 23 PAGES of suggestions. Instead the general forum is filled with page upon page of one post threads, completely killing it as a forum and killing all posts previously made. It'd be lovely if sky could understand tourny structures, learn what an ante is and realise that more chips does not equal 'more play' or 'a better structure'.
    Posted by beaneh

+1

to improve the 220 D/S you 1st need to improve the whole MTT side of the site. implements continuously get suggested on general poker chat such as: antes, H4H etc etc (backed up by the majority). yet after all this time and all the posts nothing has happened. 

a thread was in fact created for the 220 D/S i would comment on it if i felt sky actually took the suggestions seriously. 

• edited April 2011
    bean tells the truth imo
  • edited April 2011
    its nailed on some sort of novelty tournament will be selected to win the comp anyway, sky is becoming terrible for tournaments i dont think it even appeals to the casual mainstream poker player anymore. 
  • edited April 2011
    In Response to Re: The Design-A-Comp-Comp! : The bolded is complete rubbish. Sky tournament structures on a rating of 1-10 are wedged in between -40 and -45 it's pathetic. Pay 1k +£100 RAKE for an awful structure, absolutely awful. The £220 is no better. Saying "TV scheduling" has been skys reasoning for being completely stale and never changing anything. TV factors are always more important.  Not all tournies are on TV, so not all tournies even need the godawful structures. I find it quite rude that you say things as if it's the sky players fault for not suggesting stuff, when anything suggested is 'passed on' into the black hole of corporation land, there is always someone else that can be blamed for not letting it be implemented. Suggestions have been MADE FROM DAY ONE and they HAVE NEVER, I REPEAT NEVER BEEN LISTENED TO. Then saying that no one has yet suggested a structure change therefore we must be right, is so dumb it's incredible. Just because the casual player doesn't know how to improve a structure doesn't mean they wouldn't enjoy the benefits from playing a properly structure tourny rather than a 3 min shove fest.  You could always open the suggestions forum, and look back through the 23 PAGES of suggestions. Instead the general forum is filled with page upon page of one post threads, completely killing it as a forum and killing all posts previously made. It'd be lovely if sky could understand tourny structures, learn what an ante is and realise that more chips does not equal 'more play' or 'a better structure'.
    Posted by beaneh
    +1
  • edited April 2011
    If you really want to satisfy what you're asking address Beaneh's post.
  • edited April 2011
    Posted by beaneh
    Nail>head
  • edited April 2011
    That's why I left, preach beaneh!
  • edited April 2011
    Posted by beaneh

+1

• edited April 2011
    Posted by beaneh
    To quote you, the bolded is rubbish. Sky HAVE listened when players have asked for change.  They may not have implimented ALL the changes but they have listened.  Several new games have been introduced after campaigns on the forum.
  • edited April 2011
    Oh don't be ridiculous.

23 pages of suggestions.

1 or 2 minor things implemented.

Constant baying for Hand for hand (THE MOST BASIC THING THAT IT'S A DISGRACE WE DON'T HAVE), constant questions about antes and proper structures.

last 1k there were TSPers going mental at the awfulness of the structure.

• edited April 2011
    I think that Tikay is right that no one actually looked to improve the strucure of that one particular tournament, as no one did an improved 220 thread.

However dozens and dozens of regs have been asking on the forum for things like H4H/Sync Breaks/Antes since the forums were opened. 

Everyone realises that some of the tournies have to fit into the TV time, hence the faster strutures.  But H4H/Sync Breaks and Antes will have very little effect on the show...H4H may slow it down a bit, but the Antes will faster the action up to compensate.
  • edited April 2011
    I think that Tikay is right that no one actually looked to improve the strucure of that one particular tournament, as no one did an improved 220 thread. However dozens and dozens of regs have been asking on the forum for things like H4H/Sync Breaks/Antes since the forums were opened.  Everyone realises that some of the tournies have to fit into the TV time, hence the faster strutures.  But H4H/Sync Breaks and Antes will have very little effect on the show...H4H may slow it down a bit, but the Antes will faster the action up to compensate.
    Posted by scotty77

H4H cant slow it down as we dont even have time banks, everyone wastes the full amount of time they are alloted anyway.

People did complain about the 220 structure, not just this once recently, but many times. We just aren't listened to. But then we were told 'you never suggest stuff you'd have better structures if you suggested stuff'.

it's complete tosh. we aren't ever listened to.
  • edited April 2011
    i think its a bit harsh to say that we aren't listened to.

i was going on about that specific 'design a tournie' comp where no one actually came up with a workable solution.  yes it has been mentioned before.

but yeah we are all aware of the pace of the tournie when we reg to it.  so while the strutures aren't the best, people still play even when there are probably dozens of bigger prizepool tournies that run on dozens of different sites at the same time...I think its fair to say that if the 220DS wasn't televised then it would have a more player friendly format to it 

FWIW H4H and Sync breaks should be at the top of the list for Sky to look into.
  • edited April 2011
    I think that Tikay is right that no one actually looked to improve the strucure of that one particular tournament, as no one did an improved 220 thread. However dozens and dozens of regs have been asking on the forum for things like H4H/Sync Breaks/Antes since the forums were opened.  Everyone realises that some of the tournies have to fit into the TV time, hence the faster strutures.  But H4H/Sync Breaks and Antes will have very little effect on the show...H4H may slow it down a bit, but the Antes will faster the action up to compensate.
    Posted by scotty77
    Hand fo hand won't slow it down at all it will actually speed it up. There's no point in running the timer down when HFH.

But I do take your points :o)
  • edited April 2011
    i think its a bit harsh to say that we aren't listened to. i was going on about that specific 'design a tournie' comp where no one actually came up with a workable solution.  yes it has been mentioned before. but yeah we are all aware of the pace of the tournie when we reg to it.  so while the strutures aren't the best, people still play even when there are probably dozens of bigger prizepool tournies that run on dozens of different sites at the same time...I think its fair to say that if the 220DS wasn't televised then it would have a more player friendly format to it  FWIW H4H and Sync breaks should be at the top of the list for Sky to look into.
    Posted by scotty77

I think it's bang out of order, to say things like 

"several players argued that the structure was poor, for a £220 Event. And maybe it was, or was not."

ofcourse it's an awful structure anyone can see that.

"I mean, here's the thing. Several players said it was too "sharp", but not ONE of them said what it SHOULD be."

This is just incorrect, there have been suggestions to improve the tournaments for so long people have given up.
  • edited April 2011
    ok i admit i was wrong about H4H :)

• edited April 2011
    H4H and syncronised breaks are a must aswell as restructuring of most of the Main Events televised or not they need to be structured to our favour not the television... I mean it isn't often anyways that a tournament finishes while still live on air anyways admittedly most do make a final table but that still shouldn't matter what ever is missed can easily be replayed during the week... or viewed online by watching the tables live anyways
  • edited April 2011
    In Response to Re: The Design-A-Comp-Comp! : To quote you, the bolded is rubbish. Sky HAVE listened when players have asked for change.  They may not have implimented ALL the changes but they have listened.  Several new games have been introduced after campaigns on the forum.
    Posted by Kiwini4u