You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Sky Poker forums will be temporarily unavailable from 11pm Wednesday July 25th.
Sky Poker Forums is upgrading its look! Stay tuned for the big reveal!

20nl another tricky river decision...

edited April 2011 in The Poker Clinic

Or is it an auto stack off?

Villain has done nothing out of line and seems fairly solid ish.

I dwelled and dwelled and eventually i ...... a) folded, or b) called... you decide.

my thought process about my decision later...

PlayerActionCardsAmountPotBalanceGREGHOGG Small blind  £0.10 £0.10 £19.70 XXXXXXXXBig blind  £0.20 £0.30 £20.45   Your hole cards 8 10       DN34689 Fold     graham1941 Fold     paroch Fold     GREGHOGG Raise  £0.40 £0.70 £19.30 XXXXXXXXXCall  £0.30 £1.00 £20.15 Flop    6 8 10       GREGHOGG Bet  £0.75 £1.75 £18.55 XXXXXXXXX Call  £0.75 £2.50 £19.40 Turn    4       GREGHOGG Bet  £1.88 £4.38 £16.67 XXXXXXXXXCall  £1.88 £6.26 £17.52 River    2       GREGHOGG Bet  £3.40 £9.66 £13.27 XXXXXXXXX All-in  £17.52 £27.18 £0.00 GREGHOGG ????   

Comments

• edited April 2011

Bet bigger on the river and snap it off!!!
  • edited April 2011
    Snap call and loosen the hell up mate !
  • edited April 2011
    Again, I am not as expert as the lads who have already posted, but
    on a 2-4-6-8-10 board with you already holding 8-10, I am not for
    over thinking here, I am calling his shove :-)
  • edited April 2011
    Agree with Dudeskin. Snap call, can't be too afraid of 57s, 44 or 66 etc. 

Villain is just as likely to be bluffing with 2 overs, or have TPTK or something like JJ than a straight or a set.
  • edited April 2011
    In Response to Re: 20nl another tricky river decision...:
    Agree with Dudeskin. Snap call, can't be too afraid of 57s, 44 or 66 etc.  Villain is just as likely to be bluffing with 2 overs, or have TPTK or something like JJ than a straight or a set.
    Posted by dtm75
    I didnt see it like this based on my read of the player. I dont think he would be bluffing. I had only seen him showdown big hands.

If he had an overpair i think he would have raised on the flop or turn.

I pretty much narrowed him down to sets and the flopped straight.

I am probably being far too nitty and thinking too much for 20nl... But i was convinced from the chat after the hand that he did flop the straight...

He didnt seem like the sort of player who would float two streets and then bluff the river when i make a value bet.

Anyway, ill never know unless i request sky to show yet another bad fold by me lol.

so the answer was B) i folded
  • ybyb
    edited April 2011
    I disagree that this is a snap call fwiw.
  • edited April 2011
    how many 1pair hands will he do this with.. basically none. i dont see this being a 2pair either so id narrow this toa set, or very rarely air like J9. id be happy to fold here.
  • edited April 2011
    In Response to 20nl another tricky river decision...:
    Or is it an auto stack off? Villain has done nothing out of line and seems fairly solid ish. I dwelled and dwelled and eventually i ...... a) folded, or b) called... you decide. my thought process about my decision later... Player Action Cards Amount Pot Balance GREGHOGG Small blind   £0.10 £0.10 £19.70 XXXXXXXX Big blind   £0.20 £0.30 £20.45   Your hole cards 8 10       DN34689 Fold         graham1941 Fold         paroch Fold         GREGHOGG Raise   £0.40 £0.70 £19.30 XXXXXXXXX Call   £0.30 £1.00 £20.15 Flop     6 8 10       GREGHOGG Bet   £0.75 £1.75 £18.55 XXXXXXXXX  Call   £0.75 £2.50 £19.40 Turn     4       GREGHOGG Bet   £1.88 £4.38 £16.67 XXXXXXXXX Call   £1.88 £6.26 £17.52 River     2       GREGHOGG Bet   £3.40 £9.66 £13.27 XXXXXXXXX  All-in   £17.52 £27.18 £0.00 GREGHOGG ????      
    Posted by GREGHOGG
    This is a fold for me. Looks like a set or a straight. I've been in this position loadfs of times at 8nl and every time I've called its always been a set, straight or flush.
  • edited April 2011
    against some players this is a fold against some a call. 

if you have the best hand call, if you are losing fold......
  • edited April 2011
    Also don't min raise it gets you in tricky spots ;)

• edited April 2011
    would it be ok to min raise pre if he was folding or playing back alot?
  • edited April 2011
    it wasnt a min raise

• edited April 2011
    it wasnt a min raise
    Posted by GREGHOGG
    that wasnt my question?.....
  • edited April 2011
    In Response to Re: 20nl another tricky river decision... : that wasnt my question?.....
    Posted by N1CK
    yes in answer to your question, a min raise is better than a limp, or no raise imo.

108h is a nice hand in a hu pot
  • edited April 2011
    In Response to Re: 20nl another tricky river decision... : yes in answer to your question, a min raise is better than a limp, or no raise imo. 108h is a nice hand in a hu pot
    Posted by GREGHOGG
    yeah 10 8 suited is defo in my opening range HU, whether i open it blind on blind 6max really depends on who the big blind is, i used to spew a ton of money in the blinds its possible i have tightened up to much in that position
  • edited April 2011
    In Response to Re: 20nl another tricky river decision... : yes in answer to your question, a min raise is better than a limp, or no raise imo. 108h is a nice hand in a hu pot
    Posted by GREGHOGG
    yep 10-8 s is a cool hand heads up, & even blind on blind oop (which u r) if ur COMFORTABLE playin it! altho i get the feelin from threads ive seen from yours & even this 1, just lookin at ur thought processes-''maybe he flopped the nut straight''- that maybe u shud just muck it pre. because altho im sure u have a v good SOLID game u will be exposed at higher levels. my advice wud be unless u change ur game/mindset (which im sure u can do-if obv u wanted to) then dont get involved from the start with hands like this oop because it doesnt suit ur style. position is cooool.

• edited April 2011
    I'm a novice so don't take too much notice from me.. But from what I've seen here.. for this guy to call a raise of 0.40pence with a 7/9? Doubt he flopped the straight, propbably hit a middle pocket hand and flopped his set. If i was in his situation though i would of raised you after your flop bet. Instead of just snap calling your bet.
  • edited April 2011
    it wasnt a min raise
    Posted by GREGHOGG
    Min raise pre flop I meant.
  • edited April 2011
    In Response to Re: 20nl another tricky river decision... : Min raise pre flop I meant.
    Posted by donkeyplop
    so did he....he made it 50p  2.5
  • edited April 2011
    Well it's as good as lol, 2.5 this aint no tourney hoggers ;)
  • edited April 2011
    so, despite being told this is the right longterm stack off, i folded and the guy had 97 for the nut str8

reads ftw

• edited April 2011

Why is villian shoving the river, to make it look like a bluff.
    If he had set maybe he would of raised flop or turn, if he is a solid player
    If he got straight why shove for value, could be overbet bluff rep on the river or he thinks your holding overpair and thinks you will pay him off

Call - maybe he got overpair, 2 pr, or just missed draw
    I would think your beating his shoving range on the river the majority of the time.
    Hey if he shows you the nutz then o well

• edited April 2011
    You put him on trips and folded.

He'd flopped them and was happy for you to do the betting for him.

Do I win a prize?

• edited April 2011
    On the river this situation is either Bet/Fold or Check/Call.  Unless you have thorough knowledge of the villain I don't think it's bet/call.