You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Sky Poker forums will be temporarily unavailable from 11pm Wednesday July 25th.
Sky Poker Forums is upgrading its look! Stay tuned for the big reveal!

Primo guarantee ==> 12.5k

edited April 2011 in Poker Chat
Hi All,

Primo number of runners has been 300 and 277 for the last 2 weeks (if I recall correctly). Imagine the slight short-fall because of Mother's day last Sunday combined with the South of France esque weather conditions...and thus, accordingly the guarantee is dropped.  But, it's also the first time that I can think of where it hasn't been 300+

I understand completely the reason for it and it makes sound business sense.

However, just wondering if dropping the guarantee on the flagship Sunday tournament because of 1 week's shortfall is a bit of a hasty decision?  Does the fact that the EPG/site advertises the show/tournament as 15k guaranteed makes this slightly bad PR??

Interestingly, the 23 shortfall would have cost, £1150 - would still, albeit marginally be covered by the rake.

...wouldn't it be prudent to give it one more week and see if the numbers recover?  This, I believe is what happened (correctly) for the TSP Classic after a few weeks of low numbers due to Europa Champions' League.

How does community feel about reduced guarantees?

Comments

• edited April 2011

The Guarantee on the PRIMO has been reduced to £12,500 from next Sunday, & it's unlikely to go back up to £15k until the Autumn.

It has missed it's Guarantee twice recently, & been right on the number several weeks recently, too,* & that's an inevitable consequence of the lighter nights after the clocks went forward last week.

There is a "season" for Online poker, & in the UK, it broadly coincides with the clocks going back in the Autumn, & forward in the Spring, so it lasts some 6 months. Once the lighter nights arrive, the traffic drops on all UK sites. I would not be surprised if some of the other Guarantees are lowered in coming weeks, trying to "hold" unsustainable Guarantees is like setting fire to £1 notes.

The decision to change it to £12.5k was only made yesterday, hence the EPG may not have been changed yet, but the EPG is not deemed to be an "offer" or "advertisement".

* - Last 7 renewals of the PRIMO have been......

These numbers will fall much further & faster once Easter & the Holiday Season arrives - it's absolutely inevitable.

• edited April 2011
    In Response to Re: Primo guarantee:
    The Guarantee on the PRIMO has been reduced to £12,000 from next Sunday, & it's unlikely to go back up to £15k until the Autumn. It has missed it's Guarantee twice in the last 3 renewals, & been right on the number several weeks recently, too, & that's an inevitable consequence of the lighter nights after the clocks went forward last week. There is a "season" for Online poker, & in the UK, it broadly coincides with the clocks going back in the Autumn, & forward in the Spring, so it lasts some 6 months. Once the lighter nights arrive, the traffic drops on all UK sites. I would not be surprised if some of the other Guarantees are lowered in coming weeks, trying to "hold" unsustainable Guarantees is like setting fire to £1 notes. The decision to change it to £12k was only made yesterday, hence the EPG may not have been changed yet, but the EPG is not deemed to be an "offer" or "advertisement".   
    Posted by Tikay10
    Apologies, lack of understanding and knowledge on my part re poker "season".

Many thanks for the hasty and eloquent (as ever) response. 

Dan
  • edited April 2011
    In Response to Re: Primo guarantee : Apologies, lack of understanding and knowledge on my part re poker "season". Many thanks for the hasty and eloquent (as ever) response.  Dan
    Posted by dtm75
    You are most welcome, Dan, always feel free to ask such questions, & I'll always try to answer them.
  • edited April 2011
    There is a "season" for Online poker, & in the UK, it broadly coincides with the clocks going back in the Autumn, & forward in the Spring, so it lasts some 6 months. Once the lighter nights arrive, the traffic drops on all UK sites. I would not be surprised if some of the other Guarantees are lowered in coming weeks, trying to "hold" unsustainable Guarantees is like setting fire to £1 notes.
    Posted by Tikay10
    You may need to explain what these are to 'the kidz' that play these days!
  • edited April 2011
    The Guarantee on the PRIMO has been reduced to £12,500 from next Sunday, & it's unlikely to go back up to £15k until the Autumn. It has missed it's Guarantee twice recently, & been right on the number several weeks recently, too,* & that's an inevitable consequence of the lighter nights after the clocks went forward last week. There is a "season" for Online poker, & in the UK, it broadly coincides with the clocks going back in the Autumn, & forward in the Spring, so it lasts some 6 months. Once the lighter nights arrive, the traffic drops on all UK sites. I would not be surprised if some of the other Guarantees are lowered in coming weeks, trying to "hold" unsustainable Guarantees is like setting fire to £1 notes. The decision to change it to £12.5k was only made yesterday, hence the EPG may not have been changed yet, but the EPG is not deemed to be an "offer" or "advertisement". * - Last 7 renewals of the PRIMO have been...... 302 304 306 292 311 300 277   These numbers will fall much further & faster once Easter & the Holiday Season arrives - it's absolutely inevitable.  
    Posted by Tikay10
    god!!!!! your soooooo old!!!!!!
  • edited April 2011
    does this mean that the buy ins get reduced in the main events as i recall the primo being £33 and the open was £11 i think
  • edited April 2011
    In Response to Re: Primo guarantee ==> 12.5k:
    does this mean that the buy ins get reduced in the main events as i recall the primo being £33 and the open was £11 i think
    Posted by 1nitro1
    lol - obviously not!!! its numbers that control the guarantee, not the price, if they reduced the entry they would still need more entrants!!
  • edited April 2011
    In Response to Re: Primo guarantee ==> 12.5k:
    In Response to Re: Primo guarantee == /> 12.5k : lol - obviously not!!! its numbers that control the guarantee, not the price, if they reduced the entry they would still need more entrants!!
    Posted by loonytoons

yeah i undersand that but wen i joined here last year the prices wer as i mentioned in my post and was wondering if they wer onna drop back down as imo they are a bit steap compared to other sites