You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Sky Poker forums will be temporarily unavailable from 11pm Wednesday July 25th.
Sky Poker Forums is upgrading its look! Stay tuned for the big reveal!

Advice please

edited April 2011 in The Poker Clinic
How do players play against really loose players?  twice tonight in tournaments i raised with very good hands A 10 and 99  and got beat by J 10 both times,I raised it to 4 x the stake so thought that was correct but keep getting called by very mediocre hands. Im happy with my game but not happy with knowing if im raising correctly or not ,your advice would really help .x

Comments

• edited April 2011
    Can i add i had 2400 chips and blinds were 30/60 then i had 1700 and it was 50/100 thank you
  • edited April 2011
    In Response to Advice please:
    How do players play against really loose players?  twice tonight in tournaments i raised with very good hands A 10 and 99  and got beat by J 10 both times,I raised it to 4 x the stake so thought that was correct but keep getting called by very mediocre hands. Im happy with my game but not happy with knowing if im raising correctly or not ,your advice would really help .x
    Posted by emma11311
    What type of tournaments were they? If they were Bounty Hunters, then people literally call raises with any 2 cards because they think if they hit they can take a bounty.

In general, against loose players, try to keep the pot small until you hit your hand. Then when you hit your hand. Bet Bet Bet.
  • edited April 2011
    I would ask dohhh ;)

seriously u apologised yet to him? u defo should was unwarranted attack and he does very well so get on his good side and he may give u some tips
  • edited April 2011
    In Response to Advice please:
    Posted by emma11311
    If it is early in  the tournament, say first up to first 3 levels or so I would make my raises bigger than the norm say 5 or 6 times. If they still call you with worse hands I think it's something you have to live with. If your raising  4X at later levels then what you are doing is correct. There is always someone who will call with any 2. I don't see any problem with your play and overall you will win more pots against these loose players than you will lose.

I came across such a player the other night. He didn't seem to have a fold button so I decided to shove allin  with A 10 off on the button. He called my 1700 chips with 4 2 off and the flop came 3 5 6. Turn was A and river a 10 just to rub salt in the wound. So I i know how you feel.
  • edited April 2011
    "how to play against really loose players?"

bluff less value bet more
  • edited April 2011
    I dont see that you did anything wrong, your right to bet the two hands from the right positions (A10 UTG at more than 6 max i fold though).

I'm the opposit to what someone else said, I raise less early in a tournament, retains ammunition post flop and keeps the pot size managable early doors.  If they are going to call loose  for 4x bb they'll just as likely call at 6x BB as they are sat with 35BB + at 30/60, whereas later thay'll struggle to call in relation to track size blinds.  Anywho, if they will call regardless with a hand they "like" when they perceive they have the excess, you may as well keep the pot at a size that suits skill based play rather than luck based play.

Just seems like you didnt connect with the flop well with these hands.  You did right, just because it went against you here doesnt change that you should do the same again.
  • edited April 2011
    Thank you all for your help,Hopefully i will benefit soon by beating the loose calls, Have a nice weekend x