You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Sky Poker forums will be temporarily unavailable from 11pm Wednesday July 25th.
Sky Poker Forums is upgrading its look! Stay tuned for the big reveal!

Betting for value/as a bluff/ and 1 other....???

edited April 2011 in The Poker Clinic
So when I'm making a bet, I need to be thinking "will worse call?" "will better fold?"

But how about a scenario such as.....

I have raised 66 on the button, get 2 callers and it's come a 2 5 8 rainbow  flop.

It's checked to me.

If I bet, I'm unlukely to fold out anything that beats me, and I'm also very unlikely to get called by worse, as theres not many 2's or 5's that my opponents could have.

Would that make a bet here bad??? 

Is the third option to sometimes bet for protection rather than for either value or as a bluff?  -  I'm not gonna like any turn cards, and I probably have the best hand.

There are some "grey areas" where I'm not sure if I'm betting for valuie or as a bluff, the above is an example of one.

Any advice???

Comments

• edited April 2011
    you can bet for protection, your betting to protect your equity which is kind of a value bet, and don't forget you will be betting here with your big hands too, if you can get kj to fold which dont do bad vs you you done pretty well, obviously against two opponents its tougher to get them both to fold
  • edited April 2011
    Ok, so when someone says "I'm betting to find out where I am" - It's true that people think this is a donkey move as it's normally done for the wrong reasons....

So if I justify a bet by saying "I'm betting to take it down" - It's not so bad as long as I'm doing it for the right reasons? (the ones you have stated above)

Before I've said I'm betting/raising just to take it down, and been laughed at, but never understood why really. But now I'm getting it I think.

Just wanted to make sure, thanx.
  • edited April 2011
    yeah betting to pick up the dead money in the middle, you probably have the best hand and if you get hands that have good equity against you to fold then that a good thing, you have a hand so your not bluffing or betting for info, its value, your hand getting to showdown and still being good is very slim, this is only my thinking maybe better players think different