You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Sky Poker forums will be temporarily unavailable from 11pm Wednesday July 25th.
Sky Poker Forums is upgrading its look! Stay tuned for the big reveal!

Lottery Debate here

edited April 2011 in The Shed
Ok firstly i will start by saying i dont do the lottery, although used to do hotpicks with sister which we won on 3 numbers abour 7 times in a year £450 each time so done ok. My head is hurtin this morning as i had my own theory that if u pick your own numbers you will have better chance then a lucky dip?

Ok so i have read a couple of forums basically they have said they are the same odds which is easily understood, but then if you use your own numbers when/if you win the chances are you will win more....

First i will do a poll to see who does the lottery on here?  also maybe a debate about probabilties if possible, if you do put odds for winning the lottery which i believe is 14 Million to 1, Also can you put your workings out as i cant seem to get to around 14million to 1 when im trying to calculate

Thanks in advance, discuss anything how much you spend a week, how lucky your are, odds etc

Comments

• edited April 2011
    When it first started I did it every week, Then once they started introducing all of the new games I now only do it occasionally.

I pick my own numbers but the odds are still the same as it's still the same ammount of numbers being picked and drawn out each time.
  • edited April 2011
    It doesn't matter how you pick the numbers the odds against winning stay the same. I just use Lucky Dips (online) because it's eeeeasy. Play at least one Lotto draw a week plus the Euro.

• edited April 2011

The problem with picking your own set of numbers is that once you have them, you have to play every week.

I have my own set of 6 numbers that I put on every Weds and Sat, and have done for about the last 4 months.
    I will be putting them on now twice a week for the rest of my life. I wouldn't be able to sleep at night if they dropped in and I wasn't on them!!!

Obviously any 6 numbers have the same chance of coming in, whatever method you use to chose them!

1, 6, 8, 11, 16, 27 if you're wondering ! ;)
  • edited April 2011
    same as JJ here....play the same numbers every wed & sat cos hubby drempt them and now we can't forget them cos they were lucky :)

After he drempt them we did a ticket...he wasn't 100% sure about the bonus number though so anyway we got 5 balls and over £2,000 (it was not long after it started and the prizes were better then)
    It was dead handy...paid for driving lessons for both of us and a nice rusty banger :)
  • edited April 2011
    I keep the same numbers but don't feel the need to di it every draw now. I did at first but now I just never check the results when I haven't done it.

I do feel the urge to go and check the history now to see if my numbers have ever come up.

ARGHFBFDJFBFHNFJFNFHBNFJFHFHFHFHFFDVSUSBNTMTFOIVCBXBRT!!!!!

• edited April 2011
    i do two lines which i have done since it started.
    i never check them because i pay direct debit.

if you win you get an"exciting news" email
    then you open it and it says"you have won!" £10 :(
  • edited April 2011
    In Response to Re: Lottery Debate here:
    i do two lines which i have done since it started. i never check them because i pay direct debit. if you win you get an"exciting news" email then you open it and it says"you have won!" £10 :(
    Posted by DAVEYZZ
    lol I hate that email!!!

• edited April 2011
    I play the same two lines of numbers twice a week. As long as I put them on the dreams alive and i have as much chance as anyone else.

The disadvantage of playing the lottery in this way is that i HAVE to put them on cos if my numbers came up and i hadn't put them on i would consider getting some concrete doc martins and taking a stroll over the edge of the Niagra Falls.

With this in mind, if i could start again i would just have lucky dips only so that if i don't have the time or money to do the lottery i will never know if i would have won it. Too late for me to go back tho because my numbers are tattooed to the mindless extreme optimism part of my napper interior.

Hope this helps.

Air.