You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Sky Poker forums will be temporarily unavailable from 11pm Wednesday July 25th.
Sky Poker Forums is upgrading its look! Stay tuned for the big reveal!

is this the nuts or a bluff

edited April 2011 in The Poker Clinic
i played this so weak its stupid but hey thats me at the mo lol
its a small bounty hunter he joined the table with big stack no reads on him
i know i should fold pre but cheap flop thought i was strong after the flop but his calls made me suss then the great all in on river dont u just wish i had checked it now but has he got me smashed or do u think it was a bluff move
drybrook44 Small blind  75.00 75.00 8867.50
saf420 Big blind  150.00 225.00 3087.50
 Your hole cards
  • A

chefboy79 Call  150.00 375.00 7862.50
TMayhem Fold     
SUPERSNEDD Fold     
drybrook44 Call  75.00 450.00 8792.50
saf420 Check     
Flop

• A
  • A

drybrook44 Check     
saf420 Check     
chefboy79 Check     
Turn

drybrook44 Check     
saf420 Check     
chefboy79 Bet  150.00 600.00 7712.50
drybrook44 Call  150.00 750.00 8642.50
saf420 Fold     
River

• K

drybrook44 Check     
chefboy79 Bet  300.00 1050.00 7412.50
drybrook44 All-in  8642.50 9692.50 0.00
chefboy79 Fold     
drybrook44 Muck     
drybrook44 Win  1350.00  1350.00
drybrook44 Return  8342.50

Comments

• edited April 2011

insta fold for me you beat only bluffs and that would be a very silly bluff by villian

• edited April 2011
    In Response to Re: is this the nuts or a bluff:
    insta fold for me you beat only bluffs and that would be a very silly bluff by villian
    Posted by TWRAMYEP
    How was it a silly bluff? Hes just got a guy with trips tofold! Great bluff!
  • edited April 2011
    Tricky lol, made up my mind and changed it 3 times :)

On one hand the limped pot could easily be the straight there, or flopped boat.  But your bets are sooo weak I think many people would jam on you.  Tricky, i'm 50/50.
  • edited April 2011
    Wiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiii - Snap call!! 
  • edited April 2011
    Don't limp pre with Rag aces !!!!
  • edited April 2011
    In Response to Re: is this the nuts or a bluff:
    In Response to Re: is this the nuts or a bluff : How was it a silly bluff? Hes just got a guy with trips tofold! Great bluff!
    Posted by Wacko90
     shoving 7400 effective stack into 1050 pot as a  bluff on the river seems silly yo me unless you like giving your self 1/6 odds.
  • edited April 2011

You say that you should have folded preflop but limped anyway, this is where your first mistake is.  It's got to be a fold or a raise with this holding, allowing sb and bb to get a cheap look is the worst move.

Small blind could easily have 2 3 and get a very cheap flop, any decent raise would probably make him fold preflop.

I like the check on the flop with trip aces on a rainbow board and non straightening, however the turn card straightens slightly, so your bet should have been much higher than 150 into a 450 pot.  Would like to have seen at least a 3/4 pot bet but personally I would have plummed for a pot size bet.

At this point if he had any sort of decent hand he may have called but would probably have raised hoping to maximise his profit seeing that you must have a decent hand betting the pot.  This would have given you your answer on the turn instead of not knowing where you were on the river.

If he called the turn and and checked the river, then nothing wrong with just checking if you dont know where you are as if you bet hes only going  to call with a better hand or in this case a massive raise that really doesnt tell you whether your ahead or not and gives you a bit of a squeaky bum moment.

My gut feeling is that it was probably a bluff as he thought you were fishing as your bets were so small and didn't show any great strength.   Also, if he had an ace with a decent kicker he probably would have raised preflop and also he didn't show any strength until the king came down on the river, so he might have something like a Kx.

IMO I think he's probably bluffing, but would have pushed the action earlier on.