You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Sky Poker forums will be temporarily unavailable from 11pm Wednesday July 25th.
Sky Poker Forums is upgrading its look! Stay tuned for the big reveal!

re structuring current tournament structures!

edited April 2011 in Poker Chat
I am not to sure whether this has already been put forward or not... if it has please delete

but heres my 2 pennies worth on how i think these tournaments should be restructured so that come 10pm in the 8pm ME's it doesn't become a complete shovefest every hand.

Firstly changing the blind structures maybe instead of 10 minutes have every blind level at 12-15 minutes in every MTT, meaning by playing each level longer by 10-10:30pm the tournament doesn't become the inevitable shovefest whether this is a problem to TV tournaments should not really matter as it is very rare that a tournament has reached an end before the show stops anyways, yes the tournaments are probably going to last a lot longer then the usual 4-5hr max but that I don't think will bother anyone as long as the problems within the structure are sorted, This also allows there to be a lot more poker to be played instead of the inevitable I can't raise here cause i'll only have 15BB behind I have to shove. Also starting stacks in all tournaments to change to 3000 instead of 2000.

Secondly the Blind Levels themselves they start off realistically then all of a sudden skip levels ie 400/800 then straight to 600/1200. maybe the blind structure could be something along the lines of the following

10-20

15-30

20-40

25-50

30-60

40-80

50-100

60-120

75-150

100-200

125-250

150-300

200-400

250-500

300-600

350-700

400-800

500-1000

600-1200

700-1400

800-1600

1000-2000

1250-2500

1500-3000

2000-4000

2500-5000

3000-6000

3500-7000

4000-8000

5000-10000

6000-12000

7000-14000

8000-16000

9000-18000

10000-20000

12000-24000

15000-30000

if this was the blind levels 2 hours into the tournament the blind level would only be at 50-100/60-120 meaning there would still be lots of play where as usually 2 hours into an 8pm ME the blind level would be at 150-300/200-400 and getting to the time where most are having to make the decision do i shove or fold.

but thats just my idea of what i would change everyone may disagree some may agree... those that do disagree i'd be happy for you to type in here what you would like to see different !

Comments

• edited April 2011
    Its an interesting idea, but how many players are going to want to sit in a game for 7 or 8 hours?  With this structure the main event wouldn't finish until 3 or 4am, not exactly practical for players who have to be at work at 9.00am or earlier.  It might be something Sky could experiment for Friday/Saturday games but I think the numbers during the weekday Main Events would drop dramatically with your structure.

I have to be honest, i quite like the tournament structures as they currently are but I know that they don't please everyone.

Steve
  • edited April 2011
    In Response to Re: re structuring current tournament structures!:
    Its an interesting idea, but how many players are going to want to sit in a game for 7 or 8 hours?  With this structure the main event wouldn't finish until 3 or 4am, not exactly practical for players who have to be at work at 9.00am or earlier.  It might be something Sky could experiment for Friday/Saturday games but I think the numbers during the weekday Main Events would drop dramatically with your structure. I have to be honest, i quite like the tournament structures as they currently are but I know that they don't please everyone. Steve
    Posted by Kiwini4u

thanks for your P.O.V but I don't think they would last 7-8 hours for the simple fact none of the tournaments ever have more then 600 runners most the main events during the week have maximum 300 apart from thursday B/H which gets around the 550 mark....  meaning there is never going to be more then 1650000 chips in play (if stacks are set to 3k and there are specifically 550 runners) so 7-8 hours is a bit OTT i would say sky tournies don't get the same amount of runners like for e.g. stars who get 3000-6000 runners in the majority of their micro tournies resulting in the 8-9 hour running length... 500 people would last probably an hour or 2 maybe longer then normal finishing times
  • edited April 2011
    i can understand exactly where you are coming from with this Delaney...........it does become a bit of a shovefest due to the blind structure ,kiwinis point however ,also has merit ............players don't want to play for 5 or 6 hours due to working the following morning ................so its a bit of a sticking point really ...............my p.o.v.tho is ...............players have already  ,slightly changed the structure by having a discussion on this forum ,which changed the start time of the me to 8pm instead of 9pm ,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,this from my own point of view has had a negative effect on player numbers ,if you go back a year or two these main events were practically sold out 500 600 entries....................the new start time ,has affected sats also ,with the numbers way down to what they used to be ,i work all day ,try sat through to main at 5 ,normally finishes at 7 ,then only 1 hour b4 main event starts ,,,,,,,no time to sit down n relax ,have tea have shower ,everything is jammed in .the 8pm start for me has ruined it ................so to adjust the blind levels again would for me be disastrous ,making the game go on even longer ...................i fully understand your point of view tho ,so maybe sky could come up with something at the weekends ,for those  that are interested
    Posted by TENOFSPADE
    yeah i remember when the thursday night BH was getting 600-700 runners every thursday (when it was £22) and the primo was touching 500 (when £33) im not sure about the satellites i rarely play them for the simple answer they become ridiculous and impossible to play a hand, but like tonights main event i was going to play it (but fell asleep and forgot to register lol) but one of my friends was playing and i opened up the lobby to see how many runners it got (258) the Main Events are now really getting  250-300 max monday tuesday wednesday friday saturday sunday with the bounty hunter getting on average 500-570
  • edited April 2011
    Nice in theory but wouldn't work in practise as kiwini said. The primo gets 300-400 runner and finishes pretty reliably around 1AM. You're talking about adding - what? - 14 levels to that? Wouldn't work for the primo, certainly wouldn't work for the cheaper MEs with 500+ runners.

Which is not to say I wouldn't love a Sky tourney in this format, but I think it'd really have to be an afternoon start if it were to happen. Probably can't have it on a sunday as it'd canabalize primo registrations, but if this was trialled on a saturday I'd certainly give it a go.

• edited April 2011
    Nice in theory but wouldn't work in practise as kiwini said. The primo gets 300-400 runner and finishes pretty reliably around 1AM. You're talking about adding - what? - 14 levels to that? Wouldn't work for the primo, certainly wouldn't work for the cheaper MEs with 500+ runners. Which is not to say I wouldn't love a Sky tourney in this format, but I think it'd really have to be an afternoon start if it were to happen. Probably can't have it on a sunday as it'd canabalize primo registrations, but if this was trialled on a saturday I'd certainly give it a go.
    Posted by DannyMcs

this was really just a 'rough guide' sort of structure obviously not every level i have written down has to be used even if some get added to avoid the huge jumps in levels it would be a start to something new which i am sure some people 'may/may not appreciate but whos to know if it isn't tried  but i think the main levels that really should be added are definitely the 500/1k level and a few of the smaller ones between 50-100 and 400-800 as usually this is when it tends to become the inevitable all in or fold time peakly during the weekday/end 8pms of which i play most of apart from the primo and the £220, so i am just really talking from my own experience obviously others feel nothing needs to be changed and are fine with the jumps in levels due to becoming use to it.

but thanks for your p.o.v that is mainly what i was looking for not for just me to put down my suggestion and it be left at that everyone that has something new or something they would change to the way i put it is more then welcome to correct me or add to this 
  • edited April 2011
    yeah i see that about the 2 day event... i did one my self ... not a 2 day event an idea about a tourney and implementing antes within not sure where it is now though probably close to area 51 lol i have the feeling that sky may want to stay unique as to not implement antes within the tournaments which is fair enough, this could also be antes not being introduced yet as traffic is not at its peak new players will carry on to come and when the fields do start to get to the 1000's (hopefully it will) antes may then be introduced but i will certainly offer my suggestion to scrumdwon whether he feels it is useful and would like to add it into his idea is of course up to him but i think it could go well with it being a 2 day event to also try out a lot of new ideas within this ie antes longer blind levels more blind levels and see how it goes