You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Sky Poker forums will be temporarily unavailable from 11pm Wednesday July 25th.
Sky Poker Forums is upgrading its look! Stay tuned for the big reveal!

87s

edited April 2011 in The Poker Clinic
Ok after playing pants the last couple of days I have taken some advice from Tikay and looked at my game

Can you guys look at this hand, identify how I could have played it better.
Also what should my final move be?
My read on the guy is he is very tight but pushes all in when he thinks he is ahead.  He rivered me once, I gave him some grief and caught him out with JJ v QQ on a J high board.

PlayerActionCardsAmountPotBalancemikey23Small blind £0.02£0.02£16.66MrWh1teBig blind £0.04£0.06£11.86antobeBig blind £0.04£0.10£3.96 Your hole cards87   intrigue07Fold    antobeCheck    SNOOKY118Call £0.04£0.14£7.03mikey23Call £0.02£0.16£16.64MrWh1teCheck    Flop  784   mikey23Bet £0.08£0.24£16.56MrWh1teRaise £0.32£0.56£11.54antobeFold    SNOOKY118Fold    mikey23Raise £1.08£1.64£15.48MrWh1teCall £0.84£2.48£10.70Turn  J   mikey23All-in £15.48£17.96£0.00

Can I fold this or is it an auto-call?

Comments

• edited April 2011
    You are both deep for 4nl

This is an unraised pot, so it is unlikely that he has a big pocket pair so we can rule out JJ unless he is that awful to limp with this hand.

That being said, his overshove on the turn is not good imo as, if he is ahead, he is folding out hands like yours., or could be.

There are a surprising number of hands that beat you... 44, 56, 910, J8.. also 88 and 77, (less likely as you hold the other two cards)

The action on the flop is the biggest clue... Is he the sort of player to bluff or semi bluff. Not many at that level would. But 910h is possible... so im thinking his most likely holding is 44, or J8??

So his shove means "he thinks he is ahead" he probably is ahead here... We can ignore the chat stuff with the previous hand this is not normally that relevant. It looks like he is trying to bully you into a call. he is "very tight" remember.  

I would sigh fold.. but im probably in a minority.
  • edited April 2011
      well mr white i think it was an instant call m8 , i could of been bluffing but i think the reraise told u that i probably had the better hand ,by the way i had 56 suited but gl anyway keep playing ur game u'll be ok .
  • edited April 2011
     what hands do you think he 3 bets that flop with? what hands would he think were the best hand on the turn? was he tight passive? did you have any other history together?
  • edited April 2011
    ok cheers for the replies

I didn't think there was any chance he was bluffing, but i did think an overpair was a possibility
    Yeah you showed your hand and at the time I thought straight away I made a good laydown, but doubts started creeping in that I was losing longterm value by my recent poor run.

Quite deep yeah greghogg, just how I like it :D
  • edited April 2011
    In Response to Re: 87s:
     what hands do you think he 3 bets that flop with? what hands would he think were the best hand on the turn? was he tight passive? did you have any other history together?
    Posted by N1CK
    I think he could 3 bet with 44/77/88/56

the turn scared me because he had been pushing all in when he thought he was ahead/folding with nothing and he knew that I knew that was what he was doing

It was more his sudden change of pace on the flop that threw me out and made me think he was a lot stronger than he had been on previous hands.  I think had he pushed all in on flop I would have made an insta-call
  • edited April 2011
    ok cheers for the replies I didn't think there was any chance he was bluffing, but i did think an overpair was a possibility Yeah you showed your hand and at the time I thought straight away I made a good laydown, but doubts started creeping in that I was losing longterm value by my recent poor run. Quite deep yeah greghogg, just how I like it :D
    Posted by MrWh1te
    what overpair could he have bearing in mind the pre flop? i didnt read greggs post but you need to be thinking on them lines and figure it out from the beginning of the hand and as the hand progresses you can narrow his range down based on whats happened and how he plays etc
  • edited April 2011

Yes that is a good point N1ck

• edited April 2011
    In Response to Re: 87s : I think he could 3 bet with 44/77/88/56 the turn scared me because he had been pushing all in when he thought he was ahead/folding with nothing and he knew that I knew that was what he was doing It was more his sudden change of pace on the flop that threw me out and made me think he was a lot stronger than he had been on previous hands.  I think had he pushed all in on flop I would have made an insta-call
    Posted by MrWh1te
     at this level dont get into leveling until you have solid evidence and actually see him do it at least twice lol
  • edited April 2011
    Well it is true I am more used to playing £30nl-£100nl

I am forced down to these levels though and it is hard not to keep the thinking up. 

It is also hard not to get annoyed when weaker players don't know when my bluff means they should lay down lol!!
  • edited April 2011
    Well it is true I am more used to playing £30nl-£100nl I am forced down to these levels though and it is hard not to keep the thinking up.  It is also hard not to get annoyed when weaker players don't know when my bluff means they should lay down lol!!
    Posted by MrWh1te[/QU

Don't bluff at 4nl is all I would suggest.

As you said weaker players find it hard to fold second pair etc when you are bluffing!

• edited April 2011
    Well it is true I am more used to playing £30nl-£100nl I am forced down to these levels though and it is hard not to keep the thinking up.  It is also hard not to get annoyed when weaker players don't know when my bluff means they should lay down lol!!
    Posted by MrWh1te
    There is a massive variation on the 2p/4p and 4p/8p tables in standard and attitude to the game, I've noticed.

Many 2p/4p tables are populated by people getting the min £1.60 buyin who limp to every pot, fold to any re-raise and make it difficult to build a stack. Others buy in low and make some ridiculous all-in calls very frequently.

Just keep notes on how people react to pre-flop raises, C-bets, what they call with etc and then from lobby look at stack sizes and average pot size to help determine the standard of the table.

As an example, some people on these tables religiously practise ABC play. When they 3 bet or 4 bet it indicates a strong holding. However, almost any raise under 20p is often looked up by a few players on some tables regardless of what it should be saying to the table about your hand. Some of these callers will drop to C-bets, some to strong raises if you hit the flop. However, some will play 2nd pair with a low kicker, a small pocket pair with 3 overcards on board and similar hands as if they had the nuts and call, re-raise or go all-in on almost any holding you have.

Just be aware of the massive variation in standard and attitude and it should save you getting donked as often.
  • edited April 2011
    Crikey I hate 4nl, brings back such horrid memories.
  • edited April 2011
    PS I shove there and probably regret it