You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Sky Poker forums will be temporarily unavailable from 11pm Wednesday July 25th.
Sky Poker Forums is upgrading its look! Stay tuned for the big reveal!

heads up advice

edited April 2011 in The Poker Clinic

Hi all i'm trying my hand at low buy in heads  up i wonder if anyone could give me any tips as i normally play deepstacks and i'm a tight player.Thanks.

Comments

• edited April 2011
    In Response to heads up advice:
    Hi all i'm trying my hand at low buy in heads  up i wonder if anyone could give me any tips as i normally play deepstacks and i'm a tight player.Thanks.
    Posted by jjjach
    yeah dont play it
  • edited April 2011
    quite pos about as far away from ds as you can get!!!
  • edited April 2011
    you need to have a default strategy and adjust it to player types and tendencies
    this is a standard default range of hands you should be opening the button with

All pocket pairs
    suited high cards a2+ k8+ q9+ j9+
    any ace
    suited cons 45+ 46+
    off suit cons 89+ j9+ k9+
    any 2 broadway 10j+

preflop oop calling button raise

22-88
    any broadway
    suited cons 67+ any suited ace

3bet 99+ aj+

Dont fold top pair unless you find a very good reason to.
    bluff alot and keep betting unless you find reason not to.

good luck
  • edited April 2011
    In Response to Re: heads up advice:
    you need to have a default strategy and adjust it to player types and tendencies this is a standard default range of hands you should be opening the button with All pocket pairs suited high cards a2+ k8+ q9+ j9+ any ace suited cons 45+ 46+ off suit cons 89+ j9+ k9+ any 2 broadway 10j+ preflop oop calling button raise 22-88 any broadway suited cons 67+ any suited ace 3bet 99+ aj+ Dont fold top pair unless you find a very good reason to. bluff alot and keep betting unless you find reason not to. good luck
    Posted by N1CK
    Good advice ^^^^^^^^^^
  • edited April 2011

cash or tournaments?

In cash I would open nearly every hand on button, until your opponent adjusts. However I would avoid low stakes HU cash games as the rake is a killer

• edited April 2011
    In Response to Re: heads up advice:
    cash or tournaments? In cash I would open nearly every hand on button, until your opponent adjusts. However I would avoid low stakes HU cash games as the rake is a killer
    Posted by grantorino
    this is fine but i think as hes never played its best to ease him, at micros he will be getting called alot and have to play a ton post flop with poor/marginal hands, if he defaults to a pretty good range he shouldn't do to bad, dont forget hes a nit whos been playing deep stacks
  • edited April 2011
    ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
    fair enough, but his opponent will probably suck and make bigger mistakes than him oop
  • edited April 2011
    and also yeah the rake is a killer at micros but if your learning HU unless you have cash to burn its best to play micros and don't focus to much on profit/rake etc and more on learning and building on your game
  • edited April 2011

Thanks very much guys for all the advice.