You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Sky Poker forums will be temporarily unavailable from 11pm Wednesday July 25th.
Sky Poker Forums is upgrading its look! Stay tuned for the big reveal!

Tidy profit tonight.

edited April 2011 in The Poker Clinic
Playing 80 seater £50FOLHE this evening, live.

Very weird hand. 3rd hand in i pick uo Akd UTG+2. 25/50 i make it 175.

Weird fidgety guy announces raise, putting in 225 in the middle.  Before anyone can say anything SB calls the 225.  I pause, ready to say non bet, but two or three other guys do it for me.  I dont really want to make a fuss, happy to see a flop cheap early doors, but they demand tournament director make a ruling.  He makes it that the fidgety guy makes it 300 , min bet.  Again the SB that insta called the 225 calls the 300.  I dont reaqlly want to take the AK three handed OOP.  I raise, plus 700.

Fidgety guy hates it but calls, SB folds.  Fidgety guy isnt faking.  He clearly has AJ/q

Flop comes 3910 rainbow.  How do you proceed?

Comments

• edited April 2011
    No idea.
    How many chips did you start with? 
    As a general point, people who fidget or whose hands shake usually have the goods and the reraise puts him on more than just AQ or AJ.
  • edited April 2011
    Not in this instance, trust me I am well aware of the difference.  He had AQ at showdown.
  • edited April 2011
    well if you are 100% sure he has AQ, AJ bet intending to keep barrelling

Dont know how you know this though after 3 hands, even if you are sure he doesnt like it he could have 99,TT, he mighnt be overjoyed with these in a 4bet pot

Why did you 4bet pre? Not wanting to take a flop isnt a good enough reason imo. What are you doing if you are raised?
  • edited April 2011
    Why did I 3bet?  You really want to take AK to a flop, played OOP against two opponents?  The small blinds hand is very much unknown given how the action is played, he practically has to call the 300 after already calling the 225 non bet.  The 3 bet pushes him out, plus makes each street of betting post sizeably larger.

As i said the guy really was pretty clueless.  I didnt have any broad reads as it was the 3rd hand as you say.  But I did have alot of time to gauge him while the Tournament director arrived.  He clearly was unhappy, not taking his table mates questioning well, or seeming confident in any way shape or form.

The TD gave the ruling that I knew he would, action back to fidgety guy forcing a min bet.  I'd already decided to 3bet, he hates it alot, seeming to know he's backed himself into a corner confirming my read of Aq/J.

Given that my read in this instance was so strong I'd of insta called if he had 4 bet allin.  Flop came 7102R.  I Bet, he still doesnt like it but calls.  A hits the turn, I jam, he still hates it but calls showing AQ. 
  • edited April 2011
    Pre all depends on your chipstack, if youre deep i don't mind flatting the min raise and trying to keep the pot as small as possible because you don't want the pot to get too big OOP against unknown opponents. 

Raising like you did does create the problem of somebody calling, with an unknown hand and no reads, and you not hitting and having to probably fire out a C bet which will probably be a large % of your stack!

Post flop, if youre convinced the guy has AJ AQ just carry on firing barrels

Also .. flatting pre also keeps worse Aces in, and if you were to hit top pair it's likely you'd get an early double up. 
  • edited April 2011

Technically u 4bet.

I dont particularly want to go 3way to the flop, I also dont want to raise if it makes all worse hands fold and all better ones continue - this is probably not the case, so 4betting is probably fine, it depends a little on stacks

I dont really play live, but I doubt you can narrow his range to 2 hands with such limited info, also how do you know he calls your raise with these hands and small blind folds his entire range