You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Sky Poker forums will be temporarily unavailable from 11pm Wednesday July 25th.
Sky Poker Forums is upgrading its look! Stay tuned for the big reveal!

Advice on this situation

edited April 2011 in The Poker Clinic
Just been playing the 00:15 deepstack and the one hand going around in my head is this one.

Had just been moved to the table so knew nothing about the players.

I'm happy enough with my pre flop limp and post flop call (altho happy to take on board any alternative thoughts here too), but just wondering how best to play post turn

SBSmall blind 100.00100.0011755.00BBBig blind 200.00300.0011317.50 Your hole cards55   OpponentRaise 400.00700.0019388.75 Fold    AskiCall 400.001100.0016960.00Button
Call 400.001500.0021047.50SBFold    BBFold    Flop  K5J   OpponentBet 750.002250.0018638.75AskiCall 750.003000.0016210.00Button
Fold    Turn  J         

GRRRR I've not copied opponents bet.

OPPONENT BETS OUT 1500 CHIPS ON THE TURN

So I've turned the house, and opponent bets out. As I said I know nothing about him, having only just got to the table, so what do I do here.

Do I call, hoping to entice a further bet on the river, do I reraise and if so how much .

I'll post what I actually did once there are a few replies, but this is the one hand that I am not too sure if I actually messed up or not.

Many thanks

Aski :)

Comments

• edited April 2011
    I raise flop this deep

As played I prob raise turn against an unknown,  but your hand looks really like Jx when you do this so I dont mind calling either
  • edited April 2011

i would have raised on that flop mainly to build a bigger pot and increasing the return at the end of it. But you have to possibly look at it from the other side, what does your opponant know about you.

IMO i would have played it two ways. Firstly if i had the bigger stack out of you and your opponant i would raise all in after the bet of 1500 on the turn. If i wasnt the bigger stack i would have called to see what the river brought as i would also believe he has a Jx that isnt JK on the fact that he wouldnt have bet after the flop if he did. If a blank came on the river i would shove if bet into and possibly check to a check from the opponant

Overall i would find it extreamly hard to fold unless a K or J falls on the river.

• edited April 2011
    I'm presuming you flatted, a K comes and you fold?
    Tbh, raising the flop is debatable, whatever.
    Flat the turn and shove river w.e happens, (obv unless a K or J comes) 
  • edited April 2011

Raise turn.

Value bet river.
  • edited April 2011
    i would raise the flop i would expect him to shut down on the turn if he has no piece or under pair i want to try and get stacks in on the river unless something terrible happens
  • edited April 2011
    thanks for the posts folks.

grantorino probably has read my mind the best as to my dilema, in that if I re raise does it look like I hold a Jack.

As it happened I potted it to 4.5k and the oppo folded, and then sat there thinking was the bet too much. did it suggests trips, and could I have afforded to a make a smaller raise or even just call.

Re raising aftter the flop I considered but I guess I was trying to be greedy and keep the button in the game too .

As it happened I took down the tourny in the end, but the hand above was the one that niggled, so many thanks for the feedback

ps The oppo said he folded a king,
  • edited April 2011
    To be honest, i dont mind flatting the turn to entice another bet from him on the river, but i probably min raise it on the turn just for value. Maybe i am a bit too scared of losing the customer.