You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Sky Poker forums will be temporarily unavailable from 11pm Wednesday July 25th.
Sky Poker Forums is upgrading its look! Stay tuned for the big reveal!

20nl. Check raised on river... boo...

edited April 2011 in The Poker Clinic
So i make a value bet on the river, and then i get c/r by someone who was tearing up the tables last night and seemed to have a good solid game.

He said i made a good fold, but doubts remain. What do you think of my play during this hand?. Did i bet the correct amount on the river and how easy/standard is this fold? Or is it a bad fold, did i get pwned?

I assume he flopped a set or summit, or he made the flush, but again ill never know.

PlayerActionCardsAmountPotBalanceseagull1 Small blind  £0.10 £0.10 £11.92 bindi Big blind  £0.20 £0.30 £72.15   Your hole cards Q Q       Robbo67 Fold     DirtyDolla Fold     GREGHOGG Raise  £0.60 £0.90 £19.70 ace001 Fold     seagull1 Fold     bindi Call  £0.40 £1.30 £71.75 Flop    4 7 9       bindi Check     GREGHOGG Bet  £0.98 £2.28 £18.72 bindi Call  £0.98 £3.26 £70.77 Turn    2       bindi Check     GREGHOGG Bet  £2.45 £5.71 £16.27 bindi Call  £2.45 £8.16 £68.32 River    4       bindi Check     GREGHOGG Bet  £6.12 £14.28 £10.15 bindi Raise  £20.00 £34.28 £48.32 GREGHOGG Fold    

HAND ID 362541337

Comments

• edited April 2011
    Tricky tbh.  He calls out of the BB sat deep so he could be holding a pretty wide range.  No chance he spikes trips on the river, after maybe just putting you on two big cards?  Or as you say something like Ac7/Kc7c.  Its a tricky spot on the river after getting half your stack in. 

Got to say I think I call, mainly for info, after already putting in half my stack.  Pretty sick if he's holding J's or 79.  But, for me i likely call, using the info later while he's still sat deep.  I dont fully get the check raise. on the river.  You likely check back alot of hands there.  If he has made 7's full, I'd hate to check the river and opponent check back.  Think i'd definately lead.
  • edited April 2011
    Bit of a sticky situation you got yourself in here, I doubt he's EVER bluffing here, surely? If he is, fair play to him. 

On that note, it looks like a good fold, maybe he's got lucky and caught three 4's, maybe he was slow playing a set, i really don't see how he's bluffing here, if he is, it's a really bad move because he must be thinking youre not folding after putting half of your stack in the middle. 
  • edited April 2011
    this should be a relatively easy fold without any reads that he likes to spew massively
  • edited April 2011
    In Response to 20nl. Check raised on river... boo...:
    So i make a value bet on the river, and then i get c/r by someone who was tearing up the tables last night and seemed to have a good solid game. He said i made a good fold, but doubts remain. What do you think of my play during this hand?. Did i bet the correct amount on the river and how easy/standard is this fold? Or is it a bad fold, did i get pwned? I assume he flopped a set or summit, or he made the flush, but again ill never know. Player Action Cards Amount Pot Balance seagull1 Small blind   £0.10 £0.10 £11.92 bindi Big blind   £0.20 £0.30 £72.15   Your hole cards Q Q       Robbo67 Fold         DirtyDolla Fold         GREGHOGG Raise   £0.60 £0.90 £19.70 ace001 Fold         seagull1 Fold         bindi Call   £0.40 £1.30 £71.75 Flop     4 7 9       bindi Check         GREGHOGG Bet   £0.98 £2.28 £18.72 bindi Call   £0.98 £3.26 £70.77 Turn     2       bindi Check         GREGHOGG Bet   £2.45 £5.71 £16.27 bindi Call   £2.45 £8.16 £68.32 River     4       bindi Check         GREGHOGG Bet   £6.12 £14.28 £10.15 bindi Raise   £20.00 £34.28 £48.32 GREGHOGG Fold       HAND ID 362541337
    Posted by GREGHOGG
    I would call at best he had a set maybe 79 if he had 79 he must have thought he was good if he had a set then hard luck i still call
  • edited April 2011
    do alright to river when the  board pairs on river hes called u down the streets i would have check back just get info see his cards
  • edited April 2011
    Any history between you? This depends a lot how he views you and vice versa

Meh, idk this is nearly always a huge hand and your river sizing indicates you like your hand so he shouldnt be bluffing

On the other hand his line only makes sense with a very narrow value range. I probably station it up and call, but my head says this is probably a fold
  • edited April 2011
    think he was trying to represent trips but u will never known
  • edited April 2011
    imo checking back river is missing value unless you ave a very good read on villain
  • edited April 2011
    snap fold and be 95% confident it was the right decision.
  • edited April 2011
    offshoot greg had the chance not to snap fold not sure where he his all he had to check back to him
  • edited April 2011
    In Response to Re: 20nl. Check raised on river... boo...:
    Any history between you? This depends a lot how he views you and vice versa Meh, idk this is nearly always a huge hand and your river sizing indicates you like your hand so he shouldnt be bluffing On the other hand his line only makes sense with a very narrow value range. I probably station it up and call, but my head says this is probably a fold
    Posted by grantorino
    no real history, but i know hes new here and he seems fairly competent, and also he was on the mastercash 10nl table with me where he got an idea about me (james and trev on the tv called me a nit lol, so he knows im a regular here) He only saw me show down good hands on that table.

My mistake in this hand imo was my river sizing. I think i should have made it 3-4 quid. I am never checking behind where i think i can get a worse hand to call me. but i do realise this is a thin value spot.

im glad that lolraise and offshoot say this is an easy fold, so i think im starting to get a better feel for cash.

thanks all for your posts.
  • edited April 2011
    The only thing I would have done differently is on the river. If I was going to bet it would probably be half the pot.

To be honest though i'd have probably chickened out and checked instead, but I do feel i'm losing out on alot of value in my games.