You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Sky Poker forums will be temporarily unavailable from 11pm Wednesday July 25th.
Sky Poker Forums is upgrading its look! Stay tuned for the big reveal!

Live etiquette question.

edited April 2011 in The Poker Clinic
in most card rooms you have to have had action on you for atleast a minute i believe before the clock can officially be called on you.

that guy sounds like a bit of a ...

Comments

• edited April 2011
    Two actually.

I got the clock called on me tonight and I hadn't even looked at my hand. Is that even close to fair? I argued and started getting counted down. The craic was the hand before me had been called clock upon just as he folded but it sounded like it was me. I genuinely hadn't had two seconds but started getting counted down. 15, 10, "you're joking, I fold". Argued but got told anyone can call the clock. My trips would have beat AA if I played.

Next hand I, somewhat tiltly, shoved K8o from the button. As small blind contemplated UTG (who's insisted my previous clock should stand) was whispering (loudly) to the BB to call me as he reckoned I had nothing. Got called and got beaten by a hand behind.

Was I justified in losing it a wee bit?

I've generally got the manners of a nun but thought both shouts were beyond horrible? I stand to be corrected if not. But I reckon even Tikay would have shot them in similar circumstances?
  • edited April 2011
    In Response to Re: Live etiquette question.:
    in most card rooms you have to have had action on you for atleast a minute i believe before the clock can officially be called on you. that guy sounds like a bit of a ...
    Posted by LOL_RAISE
    QFT

And thanks LOL, I was sure it was at least that.

Lost it a wee bit. Not proud of that. But I'm starting to think I was entirely justified? A couple more justifications would be nice.
  • edited April 2011
    Another one.

Cash table last night, picked up AA. Flop came three diamonds. My raise had been called twice, I was inbetween. Check mumbled, and, before he'd put chips in,  I said, "Check?," looking straight at him looking for a tell as I dallied. Next guy raised and I said, "Whoa, I haven't bet yet". This one's dubious. What're the rules here?
  • edited April 2011
    For this latest one just going on whats happened to me in the past..

A guy put 80 into a 800 pot and i said (looking for a tell)... "Hmm 80 into 800?".. And becuase the dealer had heard me say 800 that meant my bet stood at 800 :S

So basically.. youve said "Check" so that stands
  • edited April 2011
    In Response to Re: Live etiquette question.:
    For this latest one just going on whats happened to me in the past.. A guy put 80 into a 800 pot and i said (looking for a tell)... "Hmm 80 into 800?".. And becuase the dealer had heard me say 800 that meant my bet stood at 800 :S So basically.. youve said "Check" so that stands
    Posted by HartshorN
    Thanks for the reply Hartsshorn. Pretty much the same situ there. Shouldn't the dealer clarify then? I dunno, I know how tough it is being the dealer too. I was 100% accepting the dealer's decision on that one.

The top two paragraphs? I'm still raging a wee bit.
  • edited April 2011
    Hardly ever play live so could be wrong

As regrds your first post afaik anyone can call clock at anytime. If someone did this before you even look at your cards its pretty bad form. Surely if it was pretty clear it was on guy before then  either dealer or player who called clock could withdraw it in some way

Person not in hand telling someone else to call is very bad etiquette. Not sure what rule is but should be warned by dealer imo

In hand where you said check, your action has to stand.

Personally I think hartshorn situation is a little different,but I dont know the ruling
  • edited April 2011
    In Response to Live etiquette question.:
    Two actually. I got the clock called on me tonight and I hadn't even looked at my hand. Is that even close to fair? I argued and started getting counted down. The craic was the hand before me had been called clock upon just as he folded but it sounded like it was me. I genuinely hadn't had two seconds but started getting counted down. 15, 10, "you're joking, I fold". Argued but got told anyone can call the clock. My trips would have beat AA if I played. Next hand I, somewhat tiltly, shoved K8o from the button. As small blind contemplated UTG (who's insisted my previous clock should stand) was whispering (loudly) to the BB to call me as he reckoned I had nothing. Got called and got beaten by a hand behind. Was I justified in losing it a wee bit? I've generally got the manners of a nun but thought both shouts were beyond horrible? I stand to be corrected if not. But I reckon even Tikay would have shot them in similar circumstances?
    Posted by bandini

Anyone can call the clock, other than the dealer (which i've seen happen).  But as far as I understand the WSOP have adopted a 1 minute buffer where the clock cant be called, which is what I go by.   Calling the clock is only really meant to force a decision, it is totally bad form to do it as a needle.  (Check out Tiffany Michelle in the 08 ME).

I think youre fully entitled to completely loose your rag with the second one.  I know for a fact I pause the game and call an official/TD over.  That is totally out of order and very bad etiquette.  I want an official there to pronounce a ruling so the whole table hears AND so that I can refer to it at any later date.

I dont know if this was a friendly home game or something else, but you still need to enforce the basic poker rules.  I would have been utterly steamed.
  • edited April 2011
    any player can call the clock  after a reasonable amount of time 1min sounds about right, once the clock is called the dealer must get a floor person over to do the count down, if you ever have any problem or grievances ask to speak to the tournament director or the card room manager