You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Sky Poker forums will be temporarily unavailable from 11pm Wednesday July 25th.
Sky Poker Forums is upgrading its look! Stay tuned for the big reveal!

Yet another BR challenge thread

edited April 2011 in Poker Chat
In Response to Yet another BR challenege thread:
My game has been all over the shop the last few weeks so in an effort to re-introduce a bit of discipline I thought I'd try one of these. I withdrew all but £100 from my account last night, goal is to spin it up to £1000 as quickly as possible. The smart money would be on thread fizzle out/me going busto but let's see. Game plan: low level MTTs for daily grinding (< £2 BI and freerolls to begin with), "shots" at cash when I'm feeling spicy, see if I can double up that way and take it from there. I know that's a bit back to front and I should probably be concentrating on cash but I think/hope I'll have more edge/EV in the dirt cheap tourneys than, say, 20NL. BRM-wise my rule will be no more than 5% in play on a single MTT, no more than 20% on a cash table. Any thoughts on strategy to get this done quicker most welcome!
Posted by DannyMcs
I would 5/6 table 2p/4p for a week and move up once you hit 200.  Forget tournaments unless you sat into 8pm or TSP/BH. Once you start to build your BR a bit more I would take in some tournaments.

This is what I did a few months ago...

As for 'taking shots' at cash, it's not a good idea, as one bad beat can lose you 20pc of your BR. Losses like that can seriously dent any motivation/confidence you have in your game.

GL

Comments

• edited April 2011
    My game has been all over the shop the last few weeks so in an effort to re-introduce a bit of discipline I thought I'd try one of these. I withdrew all but £100 from my account last night, goal is to spin it up to £1000 as quickly as possible. The smart money would be on thread fizzle out/me going busto but let's see.

Game plan: low level MTTs for daily grinding (< £2 BI and freerolls to begin with), "shots" at cash when I'm feeling spicy, see if I can double up that way and take it from there. I know that's a bit back to front and I should probably be concentrating on cash but I think/hope I'll have more edge/EV in the dirt cheap tourneys than, say, 20NL. BRM-wise my rule will be no more than 5% in play on a single MTT, no more than 20% on a cash table.

Any thoughts on strategy to get this done quicker most welcome!
  • edited April 2011
    Thanks for the advice mate, you are right and I will build some micro stakes cash in. One thing that steered me away from that is that right now I'm a one/two tabler, any more than 2 and it all goes to pot, so playing with more of my BR at a single table seemed to make sense. Being able to play optimally at 6+ tables seems to be a minimum entry requirement for the poker player's club these days so this is something I'll work on too.
  • edited April 2011
    In Response to Re: Yet another BR challenege thread:
    Thanks for the advice mate, you are right and I will build some micro stakes cash in. One thing that steered me away from that is that right now I'm a one/two tabler, any more than 2 and it all goes to pot, so playing with more of my BR at a single table seemed to make sense. Being able to play optimally at 6+ tables seems to be a minimum entry requirement for the poker player's club these days so this is something I'll work on too.
    Posted by DannyMcs
    I would say 2p/4p is the perfect place to learn that. Start with 2 tables, then add a third when you feel comfortable. Once you've played for a while with 3 and feel you can handle it well, and a fourth and so on...you'll soon be a MT'ing machine.

There's only one way to learn and 2 tabling sky £2 mtts aint it.

• edited April 2011

In Response to Re: Yet another BR challenege thread : I would say 2p/4p is the perfect place to learn that. Start with 2 tables, then add a third when you feel comfortable. Once you've played for a while with 3 and feel you can handle it well, and a fourth and so on...you'll soon be a MT'ing machine. There's only one way to learn and 2 tabling sky £2 mtts aint it.
    Posted by pryce6

100% spot on. Learning to multi table at 2p/4p is the easiest way. You don't want to be getting creative at this level as people will call you down with any pair etc. Therefore it's much easier to multi table at this level as it's probably best to just play straight forward abc poker.
  • edited April 2011

Never really understood the desire of people to mass multi table, surely this takes part of the fun out of poker, as you are unable to chat and weigh up how people are playing. I personally 2 table or occassionaly 3 table and find when I go above this I just become a robot. I get the I can win more playing 24 tables etc but I want to enjoy my poker. I suppose it depends what you are in it for.
  • edited April 2011
    In Response to Re: Yet another BR challenege thread : I would say 2p/4p is the perfect place to learn that. Start with 2 tables, then add a third when you feel comfortable. Once you've played for a while with 3 and feel you can handle it well, and a fourth and so on...you'll soon be a MT'ing machine. There's only one way to learn and 2 tabling sky £2 mtts aint it.
    Posted by pryce6
    I learnt to 2 table on those £2 mtts you speak of and found it very helpful, although I'm able to have both tables on full view so can chat freely on each making it more fun. :)
  • edited April 2011
    In Response to Re: Yet another BR challenege thread : I learnt to 2 table on those £2 mtts you speak of and found it very helpful, although I'm able to have both tables on full view so can chat freely on each making it more fun. :)
    Posted by Dudeskin8
    he already knows how to 2 table :)
  • edited April 2011
    Well I'm getting there but must admit I didn't really approach this thing in the right spirit! On the day I started I also decided to do a £100 to £1000 thing on another site and hit it in one day due to some ridiculous cash binkage, obviously didn't much feel like playing 2p/4p after that and spewed half of my £100 roll on my normal buy in levels then topped up.

Anyway, topped up today and in a classic example of my BRM approach decided I'd put it all in play on the sky rolller. 4 hours later and BR stands at £875.

Will try and spin it the rest of the way up to £1000 with reasonable BRM but with a long weekend coming it could be £0 or £2k come monday, we shall see :)

• edited April 2011
    Forget tournaments unless you sat into 8pm or TSP/BH. Once you start to build your BR a bit more I would take in some tournaments.
    Terrible advice as ever ;-) In all seriousness I am going to concentrate on MTing cash though and try and build it up to 6 tables at 5p/10p or thereabouts, despite my silly cheaty binkage I still think that's sound advice.
  • edited April 2011
    nice bink sir wd
  • edited April 2011
    Well that's job done...balance this morning stands at £1119.23. Made it the rest of the way with 2nd place in the midnight donkament on Friday & Saturday (best value tourneys of the week!), needless to say I'm VERY pleased at getting this done on two sites inside one week.

I'd love to say there were wild swings, many lessons learned and I got there through discipline and good BRM, but frankly this is a story of binkage! Could just as easily have been no cashes in the big MTTs and el busto. Very glad it wasn't but in terms of original goals I think the only one I've actually met is the money target. C'est la vie, I'll take it :)

• edited April 2011
    well done mate, wish i could have a run like that at the moment. NEED IT!