You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Sky Poker forums will be temporarily unavailable from 11pm Wednesday July 25th.
Sky Poker Forums is upgrading its look! Stay tuned for the big reveal!

hit my set but still a horrible flop, still call?

edited April 2011 in The Poker Clinic

normally im raising this hand pre flop just to isolate it a little, however this is a table that will call most raises so i limp. I hit my set but on a very dangerous board still i face a small raise so i come over the top to let my opponent know iv got a good hand. They then shove and im entirely lost as i have no real reads on the villain, still call?

younggoogi Small blind  £0.05 £0.05 £7.47
iwanttocal Big blind  £0.10 £0.15 £8.90
  Your hole cards

geoff1976 Fold     
sounddd Fold     
beeasyonme Call  £0.10 £0.25 £25.70
APRIL49 Call  £0.10 £0.35 £22.33
younggoogi Call  £0.05 £0.40 £7.42
iwanttocal Check     
Flop

younggoogi Check     
iwanttocal Bet  £0.30 £0.70 £8.60
beeasyonme Raise  £1.30 £2.00 £24.40
APRIL49 Fold     
younggoogi Fold     
iwanttocal All-in  £8.60 £10.60 £0.00
beeasyonme Call  £7.60 £18.20 £16.80
iwanttocal Show

beeasyonme Show

Turn

• Q

River

• J

iwanttocal Win Flush to the Queen £16.83  £16.83

Comments

• edited April 2011
    Raise preflop. Postflop is standard.
  • edited April 2011
    In Response to Re: hit my set but still a horrible flop, still call?:
    Raise preflop. Postflop is standard.
    Posted by Dudeskin8
    like i said i wanted to raise but i knew almost everyone would of still called eg
    iwanttocal Small blind  £0.05 £0.05 £15.82
    geoff1976 Big blind  £0.10 £0.15 £18.41
      Your hole cards

sounddd Raise  £0.40 £0.55 £6.06
    beeasyonme Call  £0.40 £0.95 £15.31
    APRIL49 Call  £0.40 £1.35 £23.43
    degoof Call  £0.40 £1.75 £4.73
    iwanttocal Call  £0.35 £2.10 £15.47
    geoff1976 Fold    
  • edited April 2011
    raise pre. If you hit your set its very hard get paid in a limped pot, + sometimes you can take it down postflop with a cbet against 1or 2 opponents. Postflop you have top set on a board where loads of worse hands get it in and about 30% equity against hands that beat you
  • edited April 2011
    If he still calls you with 53 off suit after a raise you want to stay on that table for as long as is physically possible and bleed him dry.
  • edited April 2011
    yeah i did, i left the table with over £40 but then the play got abit too silly for me
  • edited April 2011
    In Response to hit my set but still a horrible flop, still call?:
    however this is a table that will call most raises so i limp. I hit my set but on a very dangerous board still i face a small raise so i come over the top to let my opponent know iv got a good hand. They then shove and im entirely lost as i have no real reads on the villain,
    Posted by beeasyonme
    this is the only problem with the hand imo, we either bet/raise to get worse hands to call or to get better hands to fold, when we have top set on this drawy board we want villain to get all the monies in becuase our hand hand is very strong and has fantastic equtiy when behind.

you should be raise/snap calling otherwise its a slowroll!
  • edited April 2011
    when you have these pocket pairs you should raise and you want callers pre flop
  • edited April 2011
    when you have these pocket pairs you should raise and you want callers pre flop
    Posted by N1CK
    I agree and in this case he probaly would have laid it down, but was just wondering theoretically if you then face a re-raise how do you play it from there

1/ against a loose player?
    2/ against a tight player?

regarding the 6,s
  • edited April 2011
    In Response to Re: hit my set but still a horrible flop, still call? : I agree and in this case he probaly would have laid it down, but was just wondering theoretically if you then face a re-raise how do you play it from there 1/ against a loose player? 2/ against a tight player? regarding the 6,s
    Posted by MP33
    alot depends on position and how deep the stacks are
    vs loose high 3 bettors i just fold or 4 bet bluff
    vs tight guys the Dohhh theorem says call because they always stack off if you hit the set