You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Sky Poker forums will be temporarily unavailable from 11pm Wednesday July 25th.
Sky Poker Forums is upgrading its look! Stay tuned for the big reveal!

Integrity and random cards

TioTio
edited April 2011 in Area 51
Does anyone else think the system is rigged to allow the worse hands to win? I understand that in a normal game there will always be bad beats but I think in Skypoker this happens in more than 50% of the hands. I also think that because of this there is a much higher presence of "donkey" players or "muppets"..that is "players" who have no idea about percentage calls but are prepared to call big raises and all in raises because they know that even weak hands have a higher than usual chance of winning on here.
These arent the words of a sore loser..as I've won a lot of hands too that I shouldn't have won, howeve I don't intend to play any more cash games or tournaments on here because I think winning on here is as probable as winning in the bingo..i.e. poker strategy goes out the window and bad play and bad calls get rewarded. I think regular play on here would make a person a bad player in a real live face to face tournament because you start seeing bad hands as good ones due to the unpredictability of this site..the percentage call or raise goes out the window.
Please reply if you agree or disagree but I'm convinced that the cards on here are not random.

Comments

• edited April 2011
    In Response to Integrity and random cards:
    Does anyone else think the system is rigged to allow the worse hands to win? I understand that in a normal game there will always be bad beats but I think in Skypoker this happens in more than 50% of the hands. I also think that because of this there is a much higher presence of "donkey" players or "muppets"..that is "players" who have no idea about percentage calls but are prepared to call big raises and all in raises because they know that even weak hands have a higher than usual chance of winning on here. These arent the words of a sore loser..as I've won a lot of hands too that I shouldn't have won, howeve I don't intend to play any more cash games or tournaments on here because I think winning on here is as probable as winning in the bingo..i.e. poker strategy goes out the window and bad play and bad calls get rewarded. I think regular play on here would make a person a bad player in a real live face to face tournament because you start seeing bad hands as good ones due to the unpredictability of this site..the percentage call or raise goes out the window. Please reply if you agree or disagree but I'm convinced that the cards on here are not random.
    Posted by Tio
    In answer to your question, No, i dont think its rigged or i wouldnt play here.

But i think you should meet Magicalman in Area 51, you two would get on great imo!

• edited April 2011
    It can't be, i've got it in good a few times tonight and lost. I've also got it in bad a few times and lost. Seems about right to me.

• edited April 2011
    dunno but I've heard the KGB are on a recriuting drive via the Chinese Embassy........:))
  • edited April 2011
    In Response to Integrity and random cards:
    Does anyone else think the system is rigged to allow the worse hands to win? I understand that in a normal game there will always be bad beats but I think in Skypoker this happens in more than 50% of the hands. I also think that because of this there is a much higher presence of "donkey" players or "muppets"..that is "players" who have no idea about percentage calls but are prepared to call big raises and all in raises because they know that even weak hands have a higher than usual chance of winning on here. These arent the words of a sore loser..as I've won a lot of hands too that I shouldn't have won, howeve I don't intend to play any more cash games or tournaments on here because I think winning on here is as probable as winning in the bingo..i.e. poker strategy goes out the window and bad play and bad calls get rewarded. I think regular play on here would make a person a bad player in a real live face to face tournament because you start seeing bad hands as good ones due to the unpredictability of this site..the percentage call or raise goes out the window. Please reply if you agree or disagree but I'm convinced that the cards on here are not random.
    Posted by Tio
    hi tio you are 100 per cent right the reason being  the number generator gives one riffle shuffle which for those that dont know a riffle shuffle is if done in live then your thumb and other 4 fingers your thumb lets one drop then other thumb and so on but when a person riffle shuffles then normally they are not one after the other you may let go of a couple of cards hence why live play is much differance a computerized machine will be able to riffle shuffle accurately
    which does not split them hence why lower pree two cards can win alot and has so play the programme not your game save your game for live  
                                            gl lucky77777
  • edited April 2011
    Has that post been shuffled by a random word generator ?
  • edited April 2011
    LOL

50% of the time? Where is your evidence to back this up!

LOL at Lucky's analogy that the RNG does a riffle shuffle, I have this vision in my head of a little box with arms shuffling a virtual pack of cards

Obviously never read DannyMcs' brilliant post on RNG's when he worked as a developer on one!!
  • edited April 2011
    In Response to Re: Integrity and random cards:
    In Response to Integrity and random cards : hi tio you are 100 per cent right the reason being  the number generator gives one riffle shuffle which for those that dont know a riffle shuffle is if done in live then your thumb and other 4 fingers your thumb lets one drop then other thumb and so on but when a person riffle shuffles then normally they are not one after the other you may let go of a couple of cards hence why live play is much differance a computerized machine will be able to riffle shuffle accurately which does not split them hence why lower pree two cards can win alot and has so play the programme not your game save your game for live                                           gl lucky77777
    Posted by lucky77777
    What a plonker.

• edited April 2011
    :)

As most people know I've been on both sides of this argument.  You can live your life being frustrated if you believe one thing, or blissfully happy if you believe the other.

I've re educated myself on the subject matter, to the point where I can take or leave the argument.  I enjoy online as a recreational pastime now.  But through speaking to people who are successful online I've realised there are many flaws in my online game.

But if certain people really do feel strongly that the RNG is in error or online is corrupt, why do you continue? or why do you continue to moan?  If your right then have some conviction and focus on live.  If your open to the possibility that your wrong, play on and seek out a better mental perspective.

Either way, you'll sleep better.
  • TioTio
    edited April 2011
    The last cash game I played on here(and it will stay the last)...I had pocket 7s the flop came 2 6 7(rainbow flop)..I had trip 7s...I raised all in and was happy when I got a call.I was thinking he must have the other 7 with a high kicker or else a straight draw. He had 6 10(offsuit lol).Two more tens came out on fourth street and river.
    The odds against a bad beat like that are astronomical but I know that astronomical odds are realised once in a blue moon but it happens a lot more often than "blue moons" on here.
    I think the guy who called me,plays on here quite often,and he knew he was behind in the hand but also by the nature of the site and the fall of the cards, he knew he still had a decent chance of winning.
    If that happened to me in a live game I would want a word with the dealer afterwards.
    Anyway...while its a shocking example, it's not an isolated one and it was my last cash game so in reply to those who ask why I play on...I don't and I won't play for cash on here again..although my love of poker may tempt me to play in the odd MTT...but since I started playing on here my strategy has changed a lot and Ive found that I'm not doing so well now as I used to in live games..I dont usually call when I know Im behind...the Sky influence is taking effect....
  • edited April 2011
    Blaming your live losses on skys rng is quality !!!!

Maybe your just not v good??
  • TioTio
    edited April 2011
    Blaming your live losses on skys rng is quality !!!! Maybe your just not v good??
    Posted by DOHHHHHHH
    Thats a quality reply lol..considering my argument that you dont have to be good to win on here hahaha. I think you lost the thread mate..and if you think a 6 10 allin call aginst trip 7 s with a 2 6 7 rainbow flop is the call of a good player..fair enough.I won't bother arguing with you anymore :)
  • edited April 2011
  • edited April 2011
    Sigh.

No I'm not even talking about that 1 specific hand, it means nothing. Yeh it was ul but so what.

It continues to amaze me how people find ludicrous reasons to blame their poor results on. 

I haven't seen 1 post on the forum in 18 months that has said "I've not been playing well at all recently, every decision I seem to make goes wrong, my timing is off, I'm struggling to concentrate etc etc etc"

In a skill game, where people make multiple decisions themselves every hand, it's quite amazing how everytime something goes wrong, it's never themselves to blame.......

Next time you play live take a post it note with you, saying "remember tio, this isn't skys rng I'm playing with tonight"

You might play well then, but of course unless you run good, win your flips, and hit your draws, you'll probably find something else to blame your dimse on.
  • edited April 2011

Just done abit of revision from my uni days.

Look at the diagram in the link below.

Note the phrase .....  

"Fundemental attribution error occurs when situational constraints are under-estimated in the attribution process"

Translated, in poker terms that means.....

"When looking for reasons why we might be losing, we make the mistake of under estimating the power of variance"

Anyway hope the link holds up long enough for you to completely ignore it! ;)
  • edited April 2011
    Sigh. No I'm not even talking about that 1 specific hand, it means nothing. Yeh it was ul but so what. It continues to amaze me how people find ludicrous reasons to blame their poor results on.  I haven't seen 1 post on the forum in 18 months that has said "I've not been playing well at all recently, every decision I seem to make goes wrong, my timing is off, I'm struggling to concentrate etc etc etc" In a skill game, where people make multiple decisions themselves every hand, it's quite amazing how everytime something goes wrong, it's never themselves to blame....... Next time you play live take a post it note with you, saying "remember tio, this isn't skys rng I'm playing with tonight" You might play well then, but of course unless you run good, win your flips, and hit your draws, you'll probably find something else to blame your dimse on.
    Posted by DOHHHHHHH

Might want to look at my post titled "I think I've got to the bottom of it" in the clinic DOH, from a week or so ago.  I think there's a lot that serial unlucky players could take away from it.
  • edited April 2011
    My bad  DOH, i see you've posted on there.  I get confused now you changed yur profile picture. 

I dont think its just that people underestimate variance, but also underestimating opponents.  Its all well and good having your hand cracked as you absorb ithe loss into the "larger" game.  But if your opponents just dont pay you the rest of the time, because your underestimating them, then it doesnt matter how perfect a person thinks their game is.
  • edited April 2011
    Yeh that was a good post. But it was more of a general overview/analysis. You said you've realised you under estimate the ability of online cash players and don't adapt to beat the game, rather than being a winning player who is "off" their game atm for 1 reason or another.

It was a refreshing post, and no doubt you will be better for it.

But just like sportsmen poker players can be in and out of form. They can be bang on their game for a month, then the next month they can't put a winning session on the board.

Timely example, but look at Ronnie O Sullivain. Best player ever to play the game on his day, but the last 5 ranking events, for 1 reason or another, he's lost in the first round.

He's a winning player who has started losing, rather than a losing player who occasionally wins. 

For the last 3 weeks in March/early April I was nearly 40 buy ins up in cash. Over the last 12 days I'm 1 buy in down.

Why?

I've relaxed
    I'm not putting the hours in
    I'm not concentrating,....

...... which means....

I'm making loose calls
    being too aggressive
    playing too many hands
    bluffing too much

I'm attributing my lack of success to internal factors which I can control and do something about. 

Of course there are external attributions .....

Getting KK v AA alot. lol
    Not flopping as many sets.
    Opponents hitting draws.
    The standard at the tables seems to have improved a little.
    The fish are getting caught by other regs before I find a spot to stack them.

But these are all things I can't control.

Anyway I'm in danger of exceeding my word limit on this assignment! So I'll shuddup! ;)

• edited April 2011
    The last cash game I played on here(and it will stay the last)...I had pocket 7s the flop came 2 6 7(rainbow flop)..I had trip 7s...I raised all in and was happy when I got a call.I was thinking he must have the other 7 with a high kicker or else a straight draw. He had 6 10(offsuit lol).Two more tens came out on fourth street and river. The odds against a bad beat like that are astronomical but I know that astronomical odds are realised once in a blue moon but it happens a lot more often than "blue moons" on here. I think the guy who called me,plays on here quite often,and he knew he was behind in the hand but also by the nature of the site and the fall of the cards, he knew he still had a decent chance of winning. If that happened to me in a live game I would want a word with the dealer afterwards. Anyway...while its a shocking example, it's not an isolated one and it was my last cash game so in reply to those who ask why I play on...I don't and I won't play for cash on here again..although my love of poker may tempt me to play in the odd MTT...but since I started playing on here my strategy has changed a lot and Ive found that I'm not doing so well now as I used to in live games..I dont usually call when I know Im behind...the Sky influence is taking effect....
    Posted by Tio
    Preflop you are 70/30 ahead so 3 in 10 times you will lose
    After Flop you are 98/2 ahead so 2 in 100 times you will lose
    After Turn you are 95/5 ahead so 5 in 100 times you will lose

Hardly astronomical, if you are playing maybe 4 cash tables at 30 hands per hour you will see 2-5 beats like this every hour!

• edited April 2011
    In Response to Re: Integrity and random cards : Preflop you are 70/30 ahead so 3 in 10 times you will lose After Flop you are 98/2 ahead so 2 in 100 times you will lose After Turn you are 95/5 ahead so 5 in 100 times you will lose Hardly astronomical, if you are playing maybe 4 cash tables at 30 hands per hour you will see 2-5 beats like this every hour!
    Posted by SolarCarro

Hi Solar,that is factually unsound just because someone has a 2% chance of winning a hand,does not mean you will see 2-5 of these an hr...it means that if you saw the same hand 100 times,he will lose 2......the chances of getting someone all in with a 2% chance are also very slim...:)

i prefer to give them more of a sporting chance..:)

• edited April 2011
    In Response to Integrity and random cards : In answer to your question, No, i dont think its rigged or i wouldnt play here. But i think you should meet Magicalman in Area 51, you two would get on great imo!
    Posted by GREGHOGG
    +1