You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Sky Poker forums will be temporarily unavailable from 11pm Wednesday July 25th.
Sky Poker Forums is upgrading its look! Stay tuned for the big reveal!

Disciple of discipline.

edited April 2011 in The Poker Clinic
I'd like to think I know my way around a poker game, dont claim to be great.  I earn a decent wage but am overall in profit from poker.  My big failing has always been discipline and BR managment.

I was hoping that some of you guys could offer some tips to help me manage my steam a little?  I dont play cash, only S+G and the odd MTT.

I have a really nasty habit of playing very well, building my BR to between 500% 800%, running bad then just burning it.

Like today I cashed in 13 of 14 DYMs.  Then multi way flop from the BB i flop a D flush with 7d5d in a 4 way pot.  I lead out potsize as I dont want to get hurt on a later street.  Some guy jams on me, I make a kind of loose call all in, he has 2nd pair no D.  Hits runner runner FH.  Hate it so I go straight to Deal or no Deal loose 80% of my BR playing £10 games.  Put my last £17 on roulette black, comes in, play £25 Deal or no Deal do ok off that and I'm back pretty much where I started.

I am a pure flamer online, always have been.  I live with Amybr, he has given me some pretty good advice, but many of you guys seem to hold "diverse" points of view to him :p.  Can you help me?

(Although I am a online flamer, I'm not in debt and only gamble what I can loose, so please dont go down that route.  I just chase me losses like an idiot and would really appreciate any tips)

S+G wise I try to play for a maximum of 8%BR and only enter the MTT if I'm freerolling from the S+G's.  I know this is kind of high, but I struggle to be patient.

Comments

• edited April 2011
    In Response to Disciple of discipline.:
    I'd like to think I know my way around a poker game, dont claim to be great.  I earn a decent wage but am overall in profit from poker.  My big failing has always been discipline and BR managment. I was hoping that some of you guys could offer some tips to help me manage my steam a little?  I dont play cash, only S+G and the odd MTT. I have a really nasty habit of playing very well, building my BR to between 500% 800%, running bad then just burning it. Like today I cashed in 13 of 14 DYMs.  Then multi way flop from the BB i flop a D flush with 7d5d in a 4 way pot.  I lead out potsize as I dont want to get hurt on a later street.  Some guy jams on me, I make a kind of loose call all in, he has 2nd pair no D.  Hits runner runner FH.  Hate it so I go straight to Deal or no Deal loose 80% of my BR playing £10 games.  Put my last £17 on roulette black, comes in, play £25 Deal or no Deal do ok off that and I'm back pretty much where I started. I am a pure flamer online, always have been.  I live with Amybr, he has given me some pretty good advice, but many of you guys seem to hold "diverse" points of view to him :p.  Can you help me? (Although I am a online flamer, I'm not in debt and only gamble what I can loose, so please dont go down that route.  I just chase me losses like an idiot and would really appreciate any tips) S+G wise I try to play for a maximum of 8%BR and only enter the MTT if I'm freerolling from the S+G's.  I know this is kind of high, but I struggle to be patient.
    Posted by ilove2h8pr
    Go to your account & block your access to vegas. I used to do this until I had a nasty run over there & have blocked myself ever since.
  • edited April 2011
    I didnt know you could do that.  Thankyou kindly.  Doing it now.
  • edited April 2011
    As silent bob says! Poker doesnt seem to be your problem! ;-)
  • edited April 2011
    I was exactly the same a couple of years ago, on a heater, thinking i was invincible and then it all just disappeared (although I never went on Deal or No Deal lol) 

My advice would be to cash your winnings, you say you get to around 800%, withdraw like half of your profits, so you know even if the worst comes to worst and you blow it all, you're overall still in profit.

I presume you mean you only have 8% of your bankroll in action at one time? If you're a recreational player, I think this is fine, pro's would say no more than 5% but i'd say that's fine. One thing i would say, if your standard DYM buy in is maybe £11, and you lose a couple and think you're starting to lose it, drop down to the £5.50 ones or even have a break, try build your bankroll back up by playing smaller buy-ins until your confidence comes back and then return to the £11 ones. 

I used to do exactly the same, I lose half of my bankroll, I start to panic and play a bigger buy in than usual, or go into Sky Vegas to try and win it back some quick and ridiculous way, just stick to Poker and remember, dropping down an odd buy in or two is never bad. 
  • edited April 2011
    I cant seem to find whatever it is that blocks my access to vegas.  Can find the block everything, bur not each seperate service.  Could you lay it out for me plz?
  • edited April 2011
    As I told you fairyhole (friendly nickname mods - we know each other in the real world) you can only self exclude from individual franchises by phone - 0800 0724 777