You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Sky Poker forums will be temporarily unavailable from 11pm Wednesday July 25th.
Sky Poker Forums is upgrading its look! Stay tuned for the big reveal!

Rubbish in the blinds?

edited April 2011 in The Poker Clinic
So you're sat there and you haven't had a hand for ages. You're in the big blind and it's been called round to you with 68 offsuit. Do you:

fold your rubbish?
check and see a flop?
raise an unraised pot?

Comments

• edited April 2011
    You cant take a 3 bet and arent going to like many flops.  If your raising simply to demonstrate strength, hoping to get one caller, bet any flop strong and take it down I dont mind it.

Otherwise your hand has more value post IMO.
  • edited April 2011
    Why would you fold in the BB in an un-raised pot?
    Depends on your opponents and how well you know them, in most situations I just check. 
  • edited April 2011
    In Response to Rubbish in the blinds?:
    So you're sat there and you haven't had a hand for ages. You're in the big blind and it's been called round to you with 68 offsuit. Do you: fold your rubbish? check and see a flop? raise an unraised pot?
    Posted by Prop60
    I'm guessing you're talking about Tournament play.

Always opponent/chip stack/your image/their image/Your M/stage of tourney/number of limpers etc dependant.  You have the entire playbook open to you.  Enjoy.
  • edited April 2011
    Actually I was going out of my mind with boredom in a micro cash game. Lots of flat calling and min raises. Trouble is I find repping strength just scares everyone away.
  • edited April 2011
    In Response to Re: Rubbish in the blinds?:
    Actually I was going out of my mind with boredom in a micro cash game. Lots of flat calling and min raises. Trouble is I find repping strength just scares everyone away.
    Posted by Prop60
    Surely that's your goal here if you're picking up dead money.
  • edited April 2011
    micro cash, then just a check as image is so much harder to achieve. If your bored then i would recomend opening a DYM table as this stops me from doing anything crazy on my cash table and stops me from getting too bored
  • edited April 2011
    In Response to Re: Rubbish in the blinds? : Surely that's your goal here if you're picking up dead money.
    Posted by TommyD
    I take your point Tommy but there's often hardly anything in the pot. Maybe I need to think a bit harder about strategy here.

I Like the idea of opening a DYM to keep focussed.
  • edited April 2011
    In Response to Re: Rubbish in the blinds? : Surely that's your goal here if you're picking up dead money.
    Posted by TommyD
    I take your point Tommy but there's often hardly anything in the pot. Maybe I need to think a bit harder about strategy here.

I Like the idea of opening a DYM to keep focussed.
  • edited April 2011
    I know one guy who open folds in the blinds. He's tracked his stats and can demonstrate it's a winning play overall (by this I mean his overall stats improve).
    It would probably be more profitable to limit it to aces or kings I guess, but be in no doubt that blind play is losing play.
  • edited April 2011
    Honest to god I was thinking of trying this.  On the surface there seems to be wisdom in it
  • edited April 2011
    Depends on other players Firstly , un-opened , ... well not raised is usulay drawing hands,  or slow played big / biggish hands from ( aa to aj depending on oppponent ovb ) Chanches of a monster are slim so mostly drawing hands or from even weaker opponents any weak kqa or 910su whatever .. after this what 68 check / fold like 98% of the time ? ! i mean never profitable to play such a hand, raise pre have a stab on the flop , if u come across a re-raise or a strong call on 1+ streets give up unless u hit the miracle straight ect.  .. . . a lot of the time i just fold instead of even checking lmao ! i'm ultra tight though ...
  • edited April 2011
    In Response to Re: Rubbish in the blinds? : I take your point Tommy but there's often hardly anything in the pot. Maybe I need to think a bit harder about strategy here. I Like the idea of opening a DYM to keep focussed.
    Posted by Prop60
    BigBluster - "Open folds"? Not come across that before. What do you mean?
  • edited April 2011

Dear God, I just wrote a lovely post that was wiped out. Anyway, here it is more concisely:

My experience of micro stakes games is that you should ignore subtle nuances. There is less of a meta game so do not over analyse whether folding rubbish in the BB on an unraised pot will make you look like someone who only plays premium hands. Micro stakes are more about blunt statements:

-He raised 4 x BB pre flop so he must have a good hand
    -He called the C-bet on flop and raised heavily on turn when an Ace came, he must have an Ace.
    -If I can see this flop cheaply and hit, my Q9s will rake it in.

You also have to be aware that what are considered conventions of higher level poker are not respected in micro stakes. Rail any higher stakes game and you will see a large percentage of hands never make it to the flop - it is either folded to the BB or folded to a raise most of the time. In micro stakes it is an anomaly not to see a flop for a few reasons. Firstly, limping begets limping, and people want to see flops for cheap. Secondly, raises aren't always respected due to the sums involved. For 16p, even though it is a 4 bet, I can see the flop with my pretty Q9s.

My advice would be to see the flop for free whenever you can with a weak or marginal hand. If the board is wet, and the context right, make a decent bet at high cards or draws if you want to steal a pot.

• edited April 2011
    In Response to Re: Rubbish in the blinds? : BigBluster - "Open folds"? Not come across that before. What do you mean?
    Posted by Prop60
    He doesn't bother looking at his cards, just folds even if he can check.
  • edited April 2011
    lol at openfolding BB. Of course the BB is a losing position, we put 1BB in the pot before we see our cards, and we are oop for rest of hand

Just remember if you have rubbish its often still pretty weak even if you improve on flop. Its also hard to get any sort of value multiway with weak 1 pair hands, because turn and river so often suck for our hand. You can raise if you think theres a decent chance everyone folds, but that wont often be the case so generally just check
  • edited April 2011
    Dear God, I just wrote a lovely post that was wiped out. Anyway, here it is more concisely: My experience of micro stakes games is that you should ignore subtle nuances. There is less of a meta game so do not over analyse whether folding rubbish in the BB on an unraised pot will make you look like someone who only plays premium hands. Micro stakes are more about blunt statements: -He raised 4 x BB pre flop so he must have a good hand -He called the C-bet on flop and raised heavily on turn when an Ace came, he must have an Ace. -If I can see this flop cheaply and hit, my Q9s will rake it in. You also have to be aware that what are considered conventions of higher level poker are not respected in micro stakes. Rail any higher stakes game and you will see a large percentage of hands never make it to the flop - it is either folded to the BB or folded to a raise most of the time. In micro stakes it is an anomaly not to see a flop for a few reasons. Firstly, limping begets limping, and people want to see flops for cheap. Secondly, raises aren't always respected due to the sums involved. For 16p, even though it is a 4 bet, I can see the flop with my pretty Q9s. My advice would be to see the flop for free whenever you can with a weak or marginal hand. If the board is wet, and the context right, make a decent bet at high cards or draws if you want to steal a pot.
    Posted by BigRonnieC
    Some great advice here from all you guys. Thanks.

BigRonnie - where do you think the cut-off for "conventions of higher-level poker" is?