You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Sky Poker forums will be temporarily unavailable from 11pm Wednesday July 25th.
Sky Poker Forums is upgrading its look! Stay tuned for the big reveal!

KA

edited April 2011 in The Poker Clinic
I usually play 6-handed cash, and getting KA in pre is completely standard, as it should be.
But how does this change 9 or 10-handed does anybody know? Does it depend more on the opponents? Should I raise with the intention of folding to a shove? Or should I just want to get it in?
I'm starting to switch to 9-handed cash for atleast a month to see the differences, obviously advice on this and other things would be good, TY. 

Comments

• edited April 2011
    In Response to KA:
    I usually play 6-handed cash, and getting KA in pre is completely standard, as it should be. But how does this change 9 or 10-handed does anybody know? Does it depend more on the opponents? Should I raise with the intention of folding to a shove? Or should I just want to get it in? I'm starting to switch to 9-handed cash for atleast a month to see the differences, obviously advice on this and other things would be good, TY. 
    Posted by percival09
    Firstly I disagree that automatically going all in with AK (or KA) preflop is standard in cash.  There are so many considerations to think of (stack size and player image in the forefront).

9 handed changes the dynamic but the same basic reasoning applies from 6 max play.  You just have to bring in the considerations of the villain being UTG, you are UTG with a tight image and get action from rock in the blinds and so on and so forth.

Moving away from AK I always think that you can be more patient in FR games allowing you to pick better spots.  Also you get so much more information about who you are playing in FR regarding how competent they are.
  • edited April 2011
    In Response to Re: KA:
    In Response to KA : Firstly I disagree that automatically going all in with AK (or KA) preflop is standard in cash.  There are so many considerations to think of (stack size and player image in the forefront). 9 handed changes the dynamic but the same basic reasoning applies from 6 max play.  You just have to bring in the considerations of the villain being UTG, you are UTG with a tight image and get action from rock in the blinds and so on and so forth. Moving away from AK I always think that you can be more patient in FR games allowing you to pick better spots.  Also you get so much more information about who you are playing in FR regarding how competent they are.
    Posted by TommyD
    Ok thanks, I meant 100BB in 6-max, obv there will be the odd scenario where things will be different.
    Am I folding hands such as AJ, low PP, QK etc UTG? 

• edited April 2011
    In Response to Re: KA : Ok thanks, I meant 100BB in 6-max, obv there will be the odd scenario where things will be different. Am I folding hands such as AJ, low PP, QK etc UTG? 
    Posted by percival09
    Table dependant TBH.  Once saw an article advocating folding AJ UTG and UTG+1 in FR.  The first 3 seats are where you need to watch your range and tighten it up a little.  But like I say it's all table dependant.  I once folded AJ UTG in the open when it was on the TV years ago.  The expert at the time sad how good and disciplined it was.  I would be slapped upside the head now.
  • edited April 2011
    Theu say your a pro when you insta fold AJo UTG in 9 ring
  • edited April 2011
    I guess i'm a pro then as i just did it lol! 
  • edited April 2011
    In Response to KA:
    I usually play 6-handed cash, and getting KA in pre is completely standard, as it should be. But how does this change 9 or 10-handed does anybody know? Does it depend more on the opponents? Should I raise with the intention of folding to a shove? Or should I just want to get it in? I'm starting to switch to 9-handed cash for atleast a month to see the differences, obviously advice on this and other things would be good, TY. 
    Posted by percival09
    Ugh full ring cash sucks

Generally I wouldnt 3bet Ak against a decent TAG UTG opener ip (even in 6max) as they rarely flat 3bet OOP and their 4betting range crushes AK , so I imagine same applies to ep opens in full ring, probably more so
  • edited April 2011
    Thanks. Don't really know why i'm switching I've been playing 6max for sooooooo long, thought i'd give it a try though. 

Do i always bring things in for a raise in early/middle position for example? I've seen players limp with suited connectors and low PP in FR cash games.
  • edited April 2011
    I think the rules that apply in 6 max are very different in 9/10 seater cash- namely the whole 'always bring it in for a raise' theory. I think postflop play is far more relevant in these scenarios, though it's still stack dependent.

As long as you balance your limping range by occasionally limping with monster hands in opening position, I think it's ok to occasionally limp with smaller pairs/suited cons- the reasoning being that you've got a stronger likelihood of someone reraising you if you open in early position, and if your hand can't respond that well to a big reraise then opening for 2.5x might not be the best idea. If you're UTG, instead of just 5 hands to get through there's 8- the minefield's a lot bigger to wade through.

Just my opinion though, it's all dependent on the dynamics of the table just like all poker- play the opposite of the table and try to adjust quicker than everyone else does. 
  • edited April 2011
    Cheers Deuces, appreciated. 
  • edited April 2011
    utg in 6 max is over rated its just mid position as far as im concerned, utg in full ring is utg i know players who insta muck AQ off!
     in 6max stacking off vs good regs with Ak pf is bad imo they never will get it in with worse you need to have 3bet history which im not sure is that common in micros, so its a million times worse stacking off ak to utg openers fullring
     i remember it costing me a ton of money over a big sample at nl50, thoughts anyone?
  • ybyb
    edited April 2011
    utg in 6 max is over rated its just mid position as far as im concerned, utg in full ring is utg i know players who insta muck AQ off!  in 6max stacking off vs good regs with Ak pf is bad imo they never will get it in with worse you need to have 3bet history which im not sure is that common in micros, so its a million times worse stacking off ak to utg openers fullring  i remember it costing me a ton of money over a big sample at nl50, thoughts anyone?
    Posted by N1CK
    definitely disagree with this, especially /> nl50
  • edited April 2011
    In Response to Re: KA : definitely disagree with this, especially /> nl50
    Posted by yb
    i was hoping you would disagree, can you elaborate please, thanks
  • ybyb
    edited April 2011
    In Response to Re: KA : i was hoping you would disagree, can you elaborate please, thanks
    Posted by N1CK
    well good regs are going to have a wide 3betting range so by 4betting AK we are going to get folds a good % of the time, and 4b/folding AK 100bbs deep would be a massive mistake seeing as we have very good equity against their stacking off range 100bbs deep (assuming we don't have a super tight image), and have blockers to AA/KK.

assuming we have decent 3b stats as well, if we start turning AK into a bluff then its gonna be really easy to play against as our 3bets will be nearly all bluffs.
  • edited April 2011
    In Response to Re: KA : well good regs are going to have a wide 3betting range so by 4betting AK we are going to get folds a good % of the time, and 4b/folding AK 100bbs deep would be a massive mistake seeing as we have very good equity against their stacking off range 100bbs deep (assuming we don't have a super tight image), and have blockers to AA/KK. assuming we have decent 3b stats as well, if we start turning AK into a bluff then its gonna be really easy to play against as our 3bets will be nearly all bluffs.
    Posted by yb
    yeah i definitely agree with you, when i said good regs it was a bad choice of words, what i ment was good regs as in micro levels  which i assumed are pretty much ABC who dont get out of line hence i added no 3 betting history, my nl50 ref was vs these type opponents.....me bad