You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Sky Poker forums will be temporarily unavailable from 11pm Wednesday July 25th.
Sky Poker Forums is upgrading its look! Stay tuned for the big reveal!

Beginners expense

edited April 2011 in The Poker Clinic
I'm a beginner-I have been playing for about eighteen months and it has cost me(which i don't mind as it has been fun) a lot of money.  For other beginners that are just starting out how do they avoid such an expensive learning curve or is just unavoidable as you can't; in my view learn to play without cash, as us humans react very differently when cash is involved.

PS. I'm not talking about the basic mechanics of the game more the feel and reading of your opponent(s).

Gary

aka dagoose

Comments

• edited April 2011
    the game makes no sense without cash.

If you are learning play low stakes that you can afford to lose, read books, post hands, study hard, stay in skool kids
  • edited April 2011
    Play the cheap deep stacks. Big starting stacks, slow blinds will give most players a decent amount of tourney play for not a lot of money.
     Double your money(DYM's) are a good way to grind out a bankroll, but the increase will take time unless you multi table, which isn't good for a beginner.

• edited April 2011

It is very difficult to answer this question without knowing the level and type of games you play (i.e. sit and go/tournys/cash) as the skill required varies and increases as you move up levels. 

But, i would say three thing that are useful... be patient with your cards (in cash anyway, slightly different for tourneys/sit and goes) ALWAYS evaluate the range of possible hands your opponent has and what type of player he is (loose/tight/good/bad/calling station etc). And do not get attached to you cards (i.e. kk/aa - if you think you are beat then fold).

Another useful thing is also aviod chasing draws etc if the pot odds are not favourable (i would suggest reading up about implied and actual pot odds if you dont know about them).