You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Sky Poker forums will be temporarily unavailable from 11pm Wednesday July 25th.
Sky Poker Forums is upgrading its look! Stay tuned for the big reveal!

Serious issue.

edited April 2011 in Poker Chat
We have a home game every week where we play £1/2 £50 min £200max buy in.

Its in a local hotel so we use a fuction room, about 20 or so of us.  Over the last 3 months each time we've cashed out the cash has always been short when an individual plays.

We always allocate an individual to be the "banker", responsible for handling monies/chips, but there are excess chips lying around.

Painful thing is its usually myself and three other guys sat there at the end.  Tonight i finshed around 900% in profit, but the monies were once again about 10% shy, so as always the last few players absorb the discrepencies evenly.

Having a good idea who the culprit may be, how do you approach the issue?  Freeze him out, watch like a hawk or openly confront?

Comments

• edited April 2011
    You can get reasonable quality micro-DVR cameras for under £20 now. Set up beforehand, get the evidence you need, then do him like the cops do mike & worm in Rounders :)
  • edited April 2011
    I think you need substantial proof.  Everything is circumstantial right now and if I was planning to rip you off I'd turn up every week but only go on the nick when I had a convenient scapegoat who's not there all the time to take the blame.  Might be this guy, might not be.

You should also sort out the money and chip situation.  This needs to be a heck of a lot tighter by the sounds of it.  Is there easy access to excess chips?  This should never happen, to the point where you keep the chips in a lockable suitcase at the very least.
  • edited April 2011
    maybe the hotel is taking the rake! seriously though, you do need proof. when you have that well.......
  • edited April 2011
    1. Stop having excess chips lying around!
    2. Ask the banker why his kitty is down!
    3. Make sure people protect their chipstacks.

Dunno how there can be a descrepancy if the above adhered to
  • edited April 2011
    In Response to Re: Serious issue.:
    1. Stop having excess chips lying around! 2. Ask the banker why his kitty is down! 3. Make sure people protect their chipstacks. Dunno how there can be a descrepancy if the above adhered to
    Posted by cottlad
    Simple as that.
  • edited April 2011
    There tend to have 3 seperate games running.  A deepstack FO, cash game and 7 card brag.  The cash table is off to one side, monies being locked in a case with chips.  The excess chips are in the fringe games, so my theory is that anyone coming to the cash game late could be pocketing Tournament chips.  Or maybe a few people are doing it smaller.  Or people may be stockpiling chips at home, bringing some mid value ones each time and "topping" up their stacks.  I dont play there often anymore but its a pretty tight group of friends.  

As someone says it is conjecture and I wouldnt like to accuse a friend mistakenly.  We've all come up together and Its just an unpleasant situation.  But somebody may indeed be using said individual as a scapegoat as someone commented, thieves do have highly developed underhand techniques. 

Thing is it really is the same 3 guys that cash out at the end.  So whoever is doing it isnt benefiting as they are still going broke, they are just putting a downer on the end of the evening.

I think I'm going to arrange an alternate set of chips in play next time I go.
  • edited April 2011
    You use the same chips for tournament and cash games?  Asking for trouble
  • edited April 2011
    INSTALL A SECRET CAMERA......THAT WOULD BE PURE OWNAGE.!!..AND THEN RUFF THE THIEF UP AS HES GETTING IN HIS FLASHY MOTOR.,
  • edited April 2011
    Use different chips obv
  • edited April 2011
    There tend to have 3 seperate games running.  A deepstack FO, cash game and 7 card brag.  The cash table is off to one side, monies being locked in a case with chips.  The excess chips are in the fringe games, so my theory is that anyone coming to the cash game late could be pocketing Tournament chips.  Or maybe a few people are doing it smaller.  Or people may be stockpiling chips at home, bringing some mid value ones each time and "topping" up their stacks.  I dont play there often anymore but its a pretty tight group of friends.   As someone says it is conjecture and I wouldnt like to accuse a friend mistakenly.  We've all come up together and Its just an unpleasant situation.  But somebody may indeed be using said individual as a scapegoat as someone commented, thieves do have highly developed underhand techniques.  Thing is it really is the same 3 guys that cash out at the end.  So whoever is doing it isnt benefiting as they are still going broke, they are just putting a downer on the end of the evening. I think I'm going to arrange an alternate set of chips in play next time I go.
    Posted by AMYBR
    As the  host im sure u prolly should be the one responsible for taking charge of chip  amounts ,chip distribution/making sure monies are secure ie safebox or other form...
    You really need to step up and be vigilant when someone leaves table etc to make sure no chips depart from said table  as well/.....several other tricks too but i cannot imagine a freind stealin money unless of course they are a total   c....t................
    enjoy the games more and concentrate on running/organising it properly and u wont go far WRONG....GLGL
  • edited April 2011
    And take it from me I know every trick there is !!! watch out when women play they mark the cards with glitter to be able to give them an edge,.....
  • edited April 2011
    INSTALL A SECRET CAMERA......THAT WOULD BE PURE OWNAGE.!!..AND THEN RUFF THE THIEF UP AS HES GETTING IN HIS FLASHY MOTOR.,
    Posted by AJW1976
    Do you mark your cornflakes box before bed to make sure nobody is sneaking in for breakfast overnight? ;)
  • edited April 2011
    then theres the other lame trick where someone stands behind you, looks at ure cards then informs other poker combatant across the table what you have in your hand..
  • edited April 2011
    OK this is a serious one so for a change I will be very serious.

I have come across similar many times in my life as I have run some very large and famous pubs.

If you know some money is missing but do not now who is responsible, you have to assume it is possibly more than 1 person. Very often people do not have the guts to operate solely on their own.

If you confront anyone without proof you are in serious trouble, remember that anyone who has the front to do this will more than likely be prepared to enter a fight with you, so never be exposed. If you are a hard case this is not a problem. If not make sure you have people around who are not intimidated, where money is involved so is potential problems that you will never see coming.

The best thing to do is get everyone together next time and before you start, explain to all exactly what has been happening and do not leave anyone out. It is a massive mistake for some to know and not others.

If you are observant you will straight away see who looks iffy, but even if you have proof do not name anyone.

Effectively you have relieved yourself of some pressure here and possible consequences.

A lot of the time once everyone knows it will sort its self out and you must be aware that you make yourself a prime suspect by not informing everyone, they will find out.

Anyway everyone who pays in has the right to know. Once everyone is aware they can all decide to carry on or not. Usually whoever was at it will disappear.

If like me you are the sort who has to find out you must set a trap but I would not recommend this as you need serious capabilities for every eventuality after you know.

Not much is missing by the sound of it, it does matter but not sufficient to put yourself in a confrontation over.

Remember this is a nasty world and you can never really know anyone. My advice is, dissolve the game Stop now.

After a couple of weeks start again and invite the people who you trust.

I feel for you because whatever you do now something bad has happened and this will never go away ever, the longer you keep the situation going the more potential there is for it to turn and bite you.

I only hope that if you tell 20 people what has happened they don't start a fight.
  • edited April 2011
    In Response to Re: Serious issue. : As the  host im sure u prolly should be the one responsible for taking charge of chip  amounts ,chip distribution/making sure monies are secure ie safebox or other form... You really need to step up and be vigilant when someone leaves table etc to make sure no chips depart from said table  as well/.....several other tricks too but i cannot imagine a freind stealin money unless of course they are a total   c....t................ enjoy the games more and concentrate on running/organising it properly and u wont go far WRONG....GLGL
    Posted by AJW1976

What are you on about AJW??

Dont know how to take you..... when did i ever say i was the host?  I think you'll find i said I dont play there too often. 
  • edited April 2011
    OK this is a serious one so for a change I will be very serious. I have come across similar many times in my life as I have run some very large and famous pubs. If you know some money is missing but do not now who is responsible, you have to assume it is possibly more than 1 person. Very often people do not have the guts to operate solely on their own. If you confront anyone without proof you are in serious trouble, remember that anyone who has the front to do this will more than likely be prepared to enter a fight with you, so never be exposed. If you are a hard case this is not a problem. If not make sure you have people around who are not intimidated, where money is involved so is potential problems that you will never see coming. The best thing to do is get everyone together next time and before you start, explain to all exactly what has been happening and do not leave anyone out. It is a massive mistake for some to know and not others. If you are observant you will straight away see who looks iffy, but even if you have proof do not name anyone. Effectively you have relieved yourself of some pressure here and possible consequences. A lot of the time once everyone knows it will sort its self out and you must be aware that you make yourself a prime suspect by not informing everyone, they will find out. Anyway everyone who pays in has the right to know. Once everyone is aware they can all decide to carry on or not. Usually whoever was at it will disappear. If like me you are the sort who has to find out you must set a trap but I would not recommend this as you need serious capabilities for every eventuality after you know. Not much is missing by the sound of it, it does matter but not sufficient to put yourself in a confrontation over. Remember this is a nasty world and you can never really know anyone. My advice is, dissolve the game Stop now. After a couple of weeks start again and invite the people who you trust. I feel for you because whatever you do now something bad has happened and this will never go away ever, the longer you keep the situation going the more potential there is for it to turn and bite you. I only hope that if you tell 20 people what has happened they don't start a fight.
    Posted by bonneville

This is good advice and thankyou.

I have started a private thread on facebook with about 7 of the regs, discussing soloutions.  Many have fingered an individual but luckily, as you say here, I have asked them not to speculate as without evidence it is unfair.  I am in full agreement with you. 

Thing is this is a local profitable night for me.  I've puuled about £3600 out of it in the last 9 weeks, having gone  5 or 6 times.  I am my far the nit at this table, but its the right play at this table  I got some guy to put in £500  with ducks on a King high flop last night after I'd only played 5 hands in 3 hours.  They are insane.

So obviously I dont want to upset the status quo.

I think the best soloution is what you say here.  Announce diplomatically that there is this known issue next time without pointing fingers.  Ask everyone to be vigilant.  Play cash cash, no chips.  Should fix it.
  • edited April 2011

Kick him in the bolox and he wont be short again.

• edited April 2011
    In Response to Re: Serious issue. : What are you on about AJW?? Dont know how to take you..... when did i ever say i was the host?  I think you'll find i said I dont play there too often. 
    Posted by AMYBR
    HAHA,I wouldnt bother playing at all if i knew that nonsense was goin on..im a mate ,dont u wory bout me my friend,just giving u some help,looked like u were ripped off and wanted to knw the best way of getting to solve the issue,.....I cant say i blame ya cos I dont particularly trust some people either but hey ho ....poker with freinds is ok ,just gotta keep on top of the situations/ie esp when it comes to CASH.
  • edited April 2011
    In Response to Re: Serious issue. : HAHA,I wouldnt bother playing at all if i knew that nonsense was goin on..im a mate ,dont u wory bout me my friend,just giving u some help,looked like u were ripped off and wanted to knw the best way of getting to solve the issue,.....I cant say i blame ya cos I dont particularly trust some people either but hey ho ....poker with freinds is ok ,just gotta keep on top of the situations/ie esp when it comes to CASH.
    Posted by AJW1976

what..............are............you..................on.....................about
  • edited April 2011
    srsly different chips for tourney/cash is a must
  • edited April 2011
    1. Stop having excess chips lying around! 2. Ask the banker why his kitty is down! 3. Make sure people protect their chipstacks. Dunno how there can be a descrepancy if the above adhered to
    Posted by cottlad
    the banker must be responsible surely?.
    i would have a word at the start of the game in front of everyone(including alleged villan) and stat the facts and tell them its not acceptable.

ps is it legal to play for those stacks?
  • edited April 2011
    In Response to Re: Serious issue. : the banker must be responsible surely?. i would have a word at the start of the game in front of everyone(including alleged villan) and stat the facts and tell them its not acceptable. ps is it legal to play for those stacks?
    Posted by DAVEYZZ
    Of course.  As i said we play in my living room....
  • edited April 2011
    In Response to Re: Serious issue. : Of course.  As i said we play in my living room....
    Posted by AMYBR
    huh? thought you said it was a local hotel.....

not being a stick in the mud but this is why there are rules and regs

so these games can be properly organised with management/tournement directors etc.

when big money is involved there is often some argument/dispute that can escalate into something more serious,hence there being a £100 per night prize money limit in public games.

gl,dave
  • edited April 2011
    srsly different chips for tourney/cash is a must
    Posted by LOL_RAISE

Yeah in hindsight it seems pretty simple.  But we used to be a pretty tight knit group so  you wouldnt really expect it to be neccessary.  Plus none of us really need the money badly enough to be so underhand, well we thought I guess.  Seems greed and people loosing so much so often has inspired someone to take out some insurance.

It never used to be an issue though.  After much discussion and advice from here It looks like its going to be alternate chip set for all but highest value chips.  Highest value chips being replaced by cash.  Friendly announcment next week, no finger pointing.

I'm pretty chummy with the chief suspect is the sad thing.  We actually have a 75%/25% insurance bet on all £50+ MTT's.  Its been suggested that I give him a friendly warning, giving him the option to make himself absent.  But without solid proof I dont really like to do it.

But there's some pretty big northern lads I play with that wont think twice at being very unfriendly with very little provocation.  Kind of feel like it could all kick off if he wins a big pot, even playing by the book, and it may not even be him!
  • edited April 2011
    In Response to Re: Serious issue. : huh? thought you said it was a local hotel..... not being a stick in the mud but this is why there are rules and regs so these games can be properly organised with management/tournement directors etc. when big money is involved there is often some argument/dispute that can escalate into something more serious,hence there being a £100 per night prize money limit in public games. gl,dave
    Posted by DAVEYZZ

Read between the lines bud.