You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Sky Poker forums will be temporarily unavailable from 11pm Wednesday July 25th.
Sky Poker Forums is upgrading its look! Stay tuned for the big reveal!

Pocket Jacks 5/10nl

edited April 2011 in The Poker Clinic
Dont mention the jacks lol

Comments

• edited April 2011

Ok, first hand i've posted in here so I expect everybody to tell me how bad I am. Don't hold back, i'm a yorkshireman so I can take it.

The villain i'd never played before, had him down as being TAG. He seemed to have a solid game from the few hands i'd seen.

I made my standard pre-flop raise, he then comes over the top which you don't see that often at these levels. When you do people usually have premium pocket pairs or A/K.

So I just flatted obviously thinking he was holding queens or above, maybe 10's or A/K. Am I right to flat here ? my thinking was to see a flop in position then see if he keeps firing. 

He then bets the flop, which I call, should I have re-raised here because if he’s holding A/K he may fold ? Or would that be terrible ? It’s these situations I really need to improve at tbh.

He then fires out again on the turn, now I’m thinking he must have queens or above so decide to fold.

Was this the right move or too tight ? 

Any help appreciated, and please don’t hold back on pulling apart all of my game.

I asked him what he had after, i'll post his response later on.
    PlayerActionCardsAmountPotBalance
    ******* Small blind   £0.05 £0.05 £18.50
    riverman04 Big blind   £0.10 £0.15 £3.13
      Your hole cards
    • J
    • J

denis07 Fold        
    AcidMan27 Raise   £0.30 £0.45 £34.63
    Raise   £1.05 £1.50 £17.45
    riverman04 Fold        
    AcidMan27 Call   £0.80 £2.30 £33.83
    Flop

Bet   £2.30 £4.60 £15.15
    AcidMan27 Call   £2.30 £6.90 £31.53
    Turn

******* Bet   £5.18 £12.08 £9.97
    AcidMan27 Fold        
    ******* Muck        
    ******* Win   £6.38   £16.35
    ******* Return   £5.18 £0.52 £21.53
  • edited April 2011
    Sorry about that Young gun. I missed your exit, very unlucky.
  • edited April 2011
    no worries pal, FWIW if im calling pre, i re-raise on flop and get it in
  • ybyb
    edited April 2011
    In Response to Re: Pocket Jacks 5/10nl:
    no worries pal, FWIW if im calling pre, i re-raise on flop and get it in
    Posted by YOUNG_GUN
    definitely dont do this, considering how narrow 3bet ranges are from tight players at 10nl this is fine imo.
  • edited April 2011

Horrid spot this.

Definitely think flatting the flop is best. Raising folds out everything but TT QQ KK AA and I don't like your chances against that lot.

As he's 3b pre then fired 2 streets strongly I can't really see you beating anything. I like the fold without reads.

-------------------------------------------------

What do people think about flatting the turn and folding to a shove on the river?????? Would that be rly bad???
  • edited April 2011
    yeah this line is fine, raising flop is bad because hes going to fold all worse and carry on with all better hands.

• edited April 2011
    I HATE these spots !!!
    I do as you do and fold, but I always feel as if i'm throwing away the best hand!

The Q I ask myself is would my opponent do this with pocket 10's and a lot probably would, but probably not enough of the time to make it a profitable move to stack off. 

Dohh -- In this situation and against the opponents chip stack peeling a river card off would be bad, he's going to shove the river and we all know it, it's a good fold at the right time. If oppo is deeper than maybe there is an argument! 
  • edited April 2011
    Thanks for your input folks, much appreciated.

I was never going to call a bet on the turn DOHHHHHH, as I knew it would all end up going in on the river. Obviously there's a slight chance of hitting a set if I called but that's not likely.

The guy told me he had jacks too.
  • edited April 2011
    Thanks for your input folks, much appreciated. I was never going to call a bet on the turn DOHHHHHH, as I knew it would all end up going in on the river. Obviously there's a slight chance of hitting a set if I called but that's not likely. The guy told me he had jacks too.
    Posted by AcidMan27
    Every poker player lies. 

• edited April 2011
    Yeah I know. I'm telling myself he had aces or kings anyway.

• edited April 2011
    flatting the turn and folding to a shove on the river?????? Would that be rly bad???
    Posted by DOHHHHHHH
    at low stakes i think u can just fold the turn. at higher when ppl are def. 3betting light id just call down or 4b/c pre

btw i asked about when ur going vegas because me,bean & some non skyers will be there ~mid june

• ybyb
    edited April 2011
    In Response to Re: Pocket Jacks 5/10nl : at low stakes i think u can just fold the turn. at higher when ppl are def. 3betting light id just call down or 4b/c pre btw i asked about when ur going vegas because me,bean & some non skyers will be there ~mid june
    Posted by LOL_RAISE
    there goes the value from the cash games on here for a while :(
  • edited April 2011
    i know bean is such a donk he flats 5bets pre with king high,king high!!!