You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Sky Poker forums will be temporarily unavailable from 11pm Wednesday July 25th.
Sky Poker Forums is upgrading its look! Stay tuned for the big reveal!

Tournament reports/Sky Poker players strategy videos?

Hey guys,

Having just read BigBluster's tournament report, it gave me a whizz idea: do any of you watch or use tutorial videos to improve your game? If so, have you ever thought of making one? There's some cheap software out there that lets you record your screen while you play (Camtasia Studio is the one I know about, but there are others out there I am sure), and you can make comments on how you play as you go along.

Benefits:
  • Opens your game up to fellow players to see if there's anything you could improve on.
  • Forces you to be analytic about your game, both during and after the event.
  • You get to see how badly I run.
  • Generally these things are a bloody good laugh, and also a good way to connect with the rest of the Sky Poker community; just think how good it will be when you record yourself bluffing Tikay with 7-2o!*
Drawbacks:
  • Opens your game up to fellow players so they can learn about your style. Still, a good player needs to know how to constantly adjust, so you could *almost* see that as a benefit too!
In terms of hosting, we could set up a Sky Poker Players channel on YouTube or have them available for download through somewhere like Megaupload.com. I am not too much of a techie and I know how to do this stuff, so don't let the thought scare you - with a bit of planning and a good old rant at the computer, we'll all get there together.

Thoughts?

Dave

* - Note: when you think you're bluffing Tikay with 7-2o, you're actually miles ahead of him. I've watched him play poker and know this to be a fact, so there. As you were.

Comments

• edited September 2009

sounds good to me

• edited September 2009
    I'd like to see this in action. Can a demo be provided?

• edited September 2009
    I am thinking of spending some time this weekend messing around with one to give you an idea. Don't quote me on it though - got the missus dragging me out shopping on Saturday and those things can drag on a little ;)
  • edited September 2009
    In Response to Re: Tournament reports/Sky Poker players strategy videos?:
    I'd like to see this in action. Can a demo be provided?
    Posted by BigBluster

A quick scour around the internet has shown up CamStudio. Free software for recording screen actions, simple install and so on. Could be handy for those wanting to put together the videos :)

• edited September 2009
    I'd be up for a go at this once the framework is up in place for uploading recordings.

Imagine seeing/hearing the winner of the open's commentary hehe

As for my own, the odd £1.15 DYM I am not sure will be liked. But I have about a 80% cash rate - since I changed styles.

Dave
  • edited September 2009
    Dave,

The thing is, the videos could be a way for people to learn strategies in all forms of games and buy-ins offered on Sky Poker. I for one love a DYM and seem to do ok in them, but in comparison my 6-max sit and gos are shocking, despite only having to make 2nd rather than 3rd. I'd be interested to see what you say, and I am sure others feel the same.

What kind of subject would you guys like my intro attempt to be on? I could do cash, heads-up, sit and gos... pretty much anything on the small stakes roster :)

• edited September 2009
    Dave, The thing is, the videos could be a way for people to learn strategies in all forms of games and buy-ins offered on Sky Poker. I for one love a DYM and seem to do ok in them, but in comparison my 6-max sit and gos are shocking, despite only having to make 2nd rather than 3rd. I'd be interested to see what you say, and I am sure others feel the same. What kind of subject would you guys like my intro attempt to be on? I could do cash, heads-up, sit and gos... pretty much anything on the small stakes roster :)
    Posted by Sky_Dave
    I'd like to see a DYM video if you are good at them, I enjoy playing them but only cash 50/50 so rake does me. If someone could help tune my cash rate to 65/70% then i'd be over the moon.

I play exclusivley 6-max SnG's and have made a consistent profit but only at £2 level. (1000 games, $812 profit) Don't know if theres any point in me doing a video with such returns...I think i'd laugh to much at my own voice!
  • edited September 2009

Also....turbo sit n go's. Sky have them now and they are called "Turbo Charged". I love these games and make small profits so would really welcome a few hints and tips.

• edited September 2009
    Heads-up would be interesting (though not short stack). There's definitely much more skill involved than people think - playing HU is an art in itself.
  • edited September 2009
    Very Interesting ,,, Sounds good ...and I did like the way BigBuster  did his running commentary  on here the other day  in  the  tournament he was playing ..
  • edited September 2009
    Yeah, was a good read even after the event. The software looks easy enough to use, and we can have a look at setting up a Sky Poker Forum YouTube channel...

Oh, I love it when a plan comes together. 
  • edited September 2009

How about a video offering strategy and advice for winning Russian Roulette S&Gs...?

No...?

• edited September 2009
    How about a video offering strategy and advice for winning Russian Roulette S&Gs...? No...?
    Posted by J-Hartigan
    The way I run? Not likely ;)

Just as an update to the video concept, I had a very stressful weekend watching the top players down at The Empire, so didn't get around to donating to Sky Poker over the weekend. Plans are afoot though, and I think I've come up with the perfect concept. For now, I'm saying nothing. ;)
  • edited September 2009
    i made a video playing 50nl. i couldnt get the audio working though so it would probably be pretty boring to watch. Once i get it to work i'll upload it somewhere.
  • edited September 2009
    Nice on offshoot. What software did you end up using? You might be able to drop the video into Windows Movie Maker and record some audio over the top - just a thought.

Let us know when you upload it and we'll take a look. I think it's worth a peek even without audio.

• edited September 2009
    Dave, The thing is, the videos could be a way for people to learn strategies in all forms of games and buy-ins offered on Sky Poker. I for one love a DYM and seem to do ok in them, but in comparison my 6-max sit and gos are shocking, despite only having to make 2nd rather than 3rd. I'd be interested to see what you say, and I am sure others feel the same. What kind of subject would you guys like my intro attempt to be on? I could do cash, heads-up, sit and gos... pretty much anything on the small stakes roster :)
    Posted by Sky_Dave
    Dave,

I see your point. Well i am up for exposing some of my style/strats I will save the link to the software and try it out when you have your plan published (i.e. the youtube channel thingy)

Dave
  • edited October 2009
    This is my first post, anyways outside of playing poker I do internet marketing and alot of screen capture videos are made using a free version of camtasia/camstudio its called JING and is a lite version of the other two made by the same company.

• edited October 2009
    i uploaded a video as a test. I think next time i'll try and record in better quality and obviously add audio...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aHcEmJIb8bk&feature=player_profilepage
  • edited October 2009
    Hey offshoot,

Just watched your video - you play some jiggy poker sir! The Ah8h hand was pretty amusing. Did the guy who min raised UTG just play a lot of hands or something? I wouldn't normally 3-bet that hand unless the guy was a really passive player who would play weak post flop.

Good stuff, and yes it would be even better with a bit of sound thrown in there. I WILL get around to mine soon, I promise :)

• edited October 2009
    guy was minraising and didnt have a full stack so probably a weak player, better to isolate him rather than call and have everyone else call behind. Plus when you 3bet they normally call and fold to a cbet.