You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Sky Poker forums will be temporarily unavailable from 11pm Wednesday July 25th.
Sky Poker Forums is upgrading its look! Stay tuned for the big reveal!

Bad play or bad luck?

edited April 2011 in The Poker Clinic
Live tourney, £100 buy-in which is the highest I've paid thus far. Very early and about 125 blinds deep. No reads other than one boozy guy shouting about a bit to his mates.

I've stolen a couple of pots in position but been playing tight. Then;

My hand : AQo. My position : UTG. We're 8 handed.

I raise 4x. Called once round about one before cut-off and Button (boozy guy) calls. Blinds fold.

Flop : A J A.

I try and act like I've got KKs or something and pretend I'm trying to get reads of the others. I check. Bad move? Should I be betting here? Anyway, it goes check, check.

Turn : 7.

I bet about 3/4s pot. Cut-off folds. Button flat calls and I'm suspicious.

River : I forget, 4 or something innocuous. Certainly no flushes or straights.

I'm fairly happy to take it down now so check and button bets big. Over pot if I re-call. I hum, I haw, I have no idea where I am but just can't let it go. Call to be met with 77 FH. Stack decimated. Shortly after same guy beats my AQ (I fin hate AQ) with his two pair A9 but that's by the by.

Thoughts please amigos.

Comments

• edited April 2011
    bet flop for value

bet river for value, as played you have to call
  • edited April 2011
    In Response to Re: Bad play or bad luck?:
    bet flop for value bet river for value, as played you have to call
    Posted by grantorino
    Thanks for the reply but not really sure what you mean.

Bet flop for value? You mean people will call with worse? Isn't this counterbalanced by the amount of worse hands I'd fold out? I'm fairly sure I should have bet but am not sure I'm thinking along the same lines as you.

Bet river for value? You mean as played? I was check calling whatever but was happy taking it down at this early stage. Do you mean my hand was big enough that this was just a cooler?

As played you have to call? That's what I thought. But thought other views might have differed.

Ain't knocking your views man, have seen you post some intelligent posts on here. Just want to find out more.

• edited April 2011

bet flop for value, worse As call, Jx calls , random c@@p calls. You fold out worse ,but they are prob not putting in more no matter what

bet river for value, tons worse calls

As played your hand looks v weak, you have to call