You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Sky Poker forums will be temporarily unavailable from 11pm Wednesday July 25th.
Sky Poker Forums is upgrading its look! Stay tuned for the big reveal!

Advice on building your bankroll

edited April 2011 in The Poker Clinic
Hi when i play poker cash (5/10 to 15/30 level) or tournys i tend to grind away and earn a little and then drop back down. I have yet have to deposite any funds into my account but cannot seem to grow my backroll past a certain level  - sometimes i play very well and displined (grinding away) and other time i donk the money away (with stupid bluffs/crazy calls). Has anyone got any advice on growing your bankroll?

Comments

• edited April 2011
    In Response to Advice on building your bankroll:
    Hi when i play poker cash (5/10 to 15/30 level) or tournys i tend to grind away and earn a little and then drop back down. I have yet have to deposite any funds into my account but cannot seem to grow my backroll past a certain level  - sometimes i play very well and displined (grinding away) and other time i donk the money away (with stupid bluffs/crazy calls). Has anyone got any advice on growing your bankroll?
    Posted by hamster880
    stop the stupid bluffs and crazy calls, did you really need me to say that?
  • edited April 2011
    also min cash if for double ur bankroll standard ;)
  • edited April 2011
    be a nit

sounds like you get bored with the ABC grind of poker and try and get out of line possibly in really bad spots
    Look how your flat calling or calling a raise which get you into these bad spots and try and reticfy this part of yor game. Then you will not find yourself trying to bluff yourself out of bad spots or call (donk) your money.

tighten up and play boring to make money )
  • edited April 2011
    There are a number of ways to build your bankroll. The first thing you need is discipline its not going to happen overnight to go from playing 5p/10p to 50p/£1.

The second thing i would say is start with say £100 in your bankroll and keep to the rule: play cash with no more than 10% of your bankroll and then pull out when you get to 20% of your bankroll e.g. playing 5p/10p jump in with £10 and once you reach £20 leave the table and move on. Only when you know that 10% of your bankroll will get you the max buy in for a higher level then is the time to move up. But understand that if you have a few bad sessions at the higher level you need to be able to understand to drop back down levels.

It could also be worth plotting your results on something like excel, this, if kept properly, should be able to give you an update of how you have progressed.

You will diffinatly need to stop with the dropping your stack on a donk move, if you ever get to that mentality you may as well save your money and leave the table, go do something else... anything else... it will be for the greater good.

If you can keep to these it shouldnt be too long before you start seeing some reall good results
  • edited April 2011

hi thanks  some useful tips

I think i do get bored with abc poker, which essentially is how you make money at the 10 t0 30p levels. I recently have been playing a bit of sit and goes, tournys and heads up and seem to be making a little more money at these as you are forced to be a little more creative when the blinds are especially high... Do you guys think this a better route if you find it hard to be disciplined grinding it out...

• edited April 2011
    How much of a bankroll do you want to build? If it's just a few hundred quid, it would be easier and quicker to put some overtime in during your day job and simply deposit the cash!
  • edited April 2011
    if you find that u are getting board maybe play shorter games.
    but play very well for the time u play.
  • edited April 2011
    dont bluff at that level dont chase your draws play solid poker
  • edited April 2011
    In Response to Re: Advice on building your bankroll:
    dont bluff at that level dont chase your draws play solid poker
    Posted by scrumdown
    Hmmmm that doesn't leave many options.

Just play QQ+ ?
  • edited April 2011
    In Response to Re: Advice on building your bankroll : Hmmmm that doesn't leave many options. Just play QQ+ ?
    Posted by DOHHHHHHH
    Works for me m8 ;)
  • edited April 2011
    I'm guessing that you might only play one table at a time Hamster?

I am in no way a multi-tabling afficionado, but when playing dym's, for example, I find it aids concentration to play more than one table at the same time.

I would suggest starting with 2 tables and working up to 4, which is the top end of my comfort zone.

The reason I suggest this, is that it sounds as if you suffer from the same ailment as I do...ie play fine for long spells and then get a bit bored and try to make something happen - imo, this is when it all goes wrong.

If you have more than one table going at the same time, it goes without saying that the boredom factor won't kick in, because although you may have had 20 poor hands in a row on one table, there is always going to be a hand somewhere to keep your attention, with the end result that you play more solidly overall.

Make sure you turn the TV off though! :-)
  • edited April 2011
    In Response to Re: Advice on building your bankroll : Works for me m8 ;)
    Posted by donkeyplop
    does it heck..

your no nit sir!
  • edited April 2011

plenty options sill to beat u dohhhhh :)

• edited April 2011
    Play tight, dont bluff stations, value bet your good hands, stop playing if you are tilting