You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Sky Poker forums will be temporarily unavailable from 11pm Wednesday July 25th.
Sky Poker Forums is upgrading its look! Stay tuned for the big reveal!

Just seems wrong but is very profitable.

edited April 2011 in The Poker Clinic
Can i come to these games with you? lol Sounds like its always full of tools and you make aload.

Comments

• edited April 2011
    I went through for a friendly cash game in Hull last night, I used to regulerly but it was a really tricky game to crack.

NLHE 50p/£1.  Most players sit shallow, around 50BB, there were a few deep and one guy that sat down with £1500.

I sat with £150, just looking to have a drink, not take it too seriously and have some fun.

Really weird dynamic, lot of limped pots, Lot of 4x BB raise pre multi way call going to the flop.  I quadrupled up early after Limp calling UTG with KQo, calling a small raise multi way flopping top two.

From there just sat back, watched tones of people go broke, rebuy or be replaced with someone else going broke just as quick.  Was bizarre, literally all ins every other hand, even from the ex shorties who'd doubled up.  I only really played EV+ spots, but turned the £150 into a little less than £2700 in 6 hours.

I dont normally limp call or limp three bet as Its not really my style.  But as here was virtually no 3betting pre raising 4b bigs in early pos was disastrous as ou'd get 4/5 callers.  So limp three betting pairs and A10 upwards was the only way to really isolate any hand.  But you still had guys paying me off every time, non stop EV+ allin pots.

Seemed wrong after awhile as you just literally had people firing money into the middle knowing their behind trying to recoup losses.  I think they just didnt expect me to have the goods "every time", forgetting that "every time" was infact me playing a sparce minority of hands   I think any experienced good player would easily own that table as i did, just sitting back and letting the action come.  At what point do you thank your blessings, nod out smiling and milk the cow another time?  Or do you just sit and soak up as much as you can?

I ended up staying til the end, but got to admit I felt abit worried walking to my car.  Playing well and running well makes you a few enemies.
  • edited April 2011
    You make a load or lose a load.  I lost loads plenty of times there, as I said was hard too crack, but I think I was playing marginal hands too strongly at that time.  10K becomes a monster when you know half the tables opening range is 94o. 

This game is Napoleans in Hull.  They run a 50/1, 1/2 NLHE and 2/4 OH cash games.

But swear to jebus I didnt put my money in bad all night.  I never bluffed or represented either, because you will get called down so light its not worth it.  I remember every significant hand I played

KQ vs K10 107 for early triple up on a Q high board.
    AK vs 79 and 27 on a A high flop
    J's vs 4's allin pre
    J's vs 8's all in on a K high flop
    AhQh v s A10o on a Q high 4 flush flop
    AA's vs random mucked hand allin on the flop Q high flop
    Q's vs randmon mucked hand, allin 10 high flop.
    AK vs x8 allin on turn vs gutshot.

I lost one major pot all night with J's vs against A7, board reading 10QK2J (sick river).  Opponent plays really bad, I call all in on river as his range is just as easily two pair as the A, but it was for like 10% of my stack so looked him up.  There were other pots I was involved in, without reason to continue. 

You run well at a table like this and its just like printing money.

• edited April 2011
    In Response to Re: Just seems wrong but is very profitable.:
    You make a load or lose a load.  I lost loads plenty of times there, as I said was hard too crack, but I think I was playing marginal hands too strongly at that time.  10K becomes a monster when you know half the tables opening range is 94o.  This game is Napoleans in Hull.  They run a 50/1, 1/2 NLHE and 2/4 OH cash games. But swear to jebus I didnt put my money in bad all night.  I never bluffed or represented either, because you will get called down so light its not worth it.  I remember every significant hand I played KQ vs K10 107 for early triple up on a Q high board. AK vs 79 and 27 on a A high flop J's vs 4's allin pre J's vs 8's all in on a K high flop AhQh v s A10o on a Q high 4 flush flop AA's vs random mucked hand allin on the flop Q high flop Q's vs randmon mucked hand, allin 10 high flop. AK vs x8 allin on turn vs gutshot. I lost one major pot all night with J's vs against A7, board reading 10QK2J (sick river).  Opponent plays really bad, I call all in on river as his range is just as easily two pair as the A, but it was for like 10% of my stack so looked him up.  There were other pots I was involved in, without reason to continue.  You run well at a table like this and its just like printing money.
    Posted by AMYBR

Naploleons is where Devilfish used to play and still does on occasion i believe.  Take your winnings when they come and be polite when you leave after buying a few beers for the guys involved if you are a little worried about the atmosphere in the club is my advice!
  • ybyb
    edited April 2011
    sounds like a great game, when I feel I have a massiven edge on the table I just stay until closing or when the table starts to break (which normally on a friday/saturday night is about 6/7 am)

fwiw when the table is playing crazy my standard opens live are like 8x, if I'm still constantly going multi-way to flops I just make them bigger and bigger.
  • edited April 2011
    Yeah bumped into devilfish a couple of times there.  Last time was about 7 weeks ago.  He doesnt really play, he tends to just go to be recognised from what I understand.

I normally buy a round in any home game I've played in profit.  I've tried to do it a few times in places where I dont know people so well, but it often comes across as being conceited so I dont tend to do it.  But it may ease the tension so will try it again.

VB:  Yeah I tried opening larger in the past but same scenario, serious multi way action, really dangerous going to the flop.  Found that limp 3 betting 8's upwards and A10 upwards in early position is only way to isolate.  I try to keep it around 4 x BB in late position.

Just felt bad for people towards the end in all honesty.  I'm running pretty good just now though, I've had 3 losing sessions in the last 21, on each occasion cashing out around 6/7 buyins, but this occassion really was something else.

I'm not even playing especially well.  Its like Greenstein says, he didnt make his money because he was the best, he made it because he actively sought games where people were bad.

Its a slippery slope though.  You know that one, maybe two guys will call all in for up to 100 BB's pre with rag hands after you've 3 bet AK or J's Q's, just to get luvky with utter insane hands.  You just cant play scared and have to mentally use an Occams razor type mentality.