You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Sky Poker forums will be temporarily unavailable from 11pm Wednesday July 25th.
Sky Poker Forums is upgrading its look! Stay tuned for the big reveal!

help! Lost half my bankroll

edited April 2011 in The Poker Clinic
So, the other week I won a deep stack and went from £10 (my normal BR just to play a few micro SnGs and the odd MTT) to £40.

I figured that now that I have 10 buy-ins for 2p/4p I can start playing cash and grinding out some more money buy playing tight.

yesterday I literally couldn't win a hand. The most I won was 57p and I lost £20 in a day. I've looked over some of the losses and some were bad play, but most were from getting pot committed, then being pretty sure I was behind but calling anyway. an example was having AA and the flop coming 5K5, getting bet into so I raised all in thinking that most times they don't have the five. Turns out they had called my pre-flop raise with A5.

My question is what should I do now. I could play 2p/4p with a £20 bank roll by only getting £2 each time. But I'm more worried that I might just suck at cash and should trying playing the sit and goes more often. I find it so much more satisfying winning at cash games.

Does this happen to the big players playing the £1.50/£3 tables? Ever lost five buyins in a row without really winning any money back? Is it varriance or do I just suck at cash play?

At the moment I'm playing £1 DYMs (I've won two out of two so far) but I hate them so much. Should I just keep going till I get back to £40 and be more careful next time.

I can post the losing hands from my session if that would help.

Comments

• edited April 2011
    You're probably better and sticking to micro sit n go's or dym's to build up your roll again. Especially if you're more experienced in those.

If you've never really played cash before it can take a while to adapt to it.

2p/4p is also mad at times, but if you've got a solid cash game and just stick to playing premium hands aggressively you can make a decent ammount.

The thing with 2p/4p is even if you jam it in with aces, you can easily get called by players with raggy hands. Ok sometimes they will get lucky, but over time you will win more than you lose.

• edited April 2011
    When I started on Cash I actually did so with £20 I think and gradually grinded up to about £44, not massive but it just involved being extermely tight and having a LOT of self control, was going at 30-40 bb/100 hands at the end . I always sat with the full 100 bb's but had a rule that if I lost say £1 would stand and have a break for at least an hour so the tilt would go away (I tilted easily or basically just got angry lol).

When I first, first started though it was with DYM's right from the basement of 30p up to around £2.25 but the volume I was playing and how I had to play made my brain feel like it was beginning to melt so had to stop, however if you have a low bankroll and can withstand mental torture they are very good. ;)

Now I play pure Deepstacks £1.10/£2.20 and have much more enjoyment, if anything once/if you get to around £50 I'd very much advise switching to these.
  • edited April 2011
    If your a good player and have confidence go and stick a tenner in at 10nl where theres aloda fish sitting, or 20nl even, yayaya no brm but can easily earn more ££ by taking a shot, better than spending hours grinding 4nl and getting annoyed with the fish
  • edited April 2011
    you should have at least 20 buy ins for whatever level you are playing in cash games, some would say more. I would think you need similar for sngs, prob less for dym but not really sure

Losing 5 buyins could easily be just variance and happens all the time to good players, but I find people(myself included) tend to spew a couple of buyins after being coolered for a couple. Have a look back at your hands, post them if you are not sure how you played them

Definitely dont buy in short to cash games, you give up a lot of whatever edge you have. I would imagine dyms are a good method of bankroll building at low stakes but I would be suicidal if I had to grind these. Low stakes sngs might be a good option, its easy to learn a good basic strategy and they are full of fish
  • edited April 2011
    Knowing when to fold is they key m8ty, hardest lesson in poker.
    You know your beat but you still call ) DOH! you got it :O)

• edited April 2011

You can't develop your skill in an area that you haven't made that much profit in with only £20 bankroll, as it won't last long and you'll need to top it up.

IMO I would advise playing which ever discipline (i.e. Cash / Sit n Go / MTT) makes you the most cash/most consistent success.  Then once your bankroll is sufficient to try an area that you enjoy (i.e. Cash) and hopefully your poker skills will improve to maintain a consistent profit playing a discipline you enjoy.

What more could you ask for!!

PS - Patience and it will all of a sudden "click" and hopefully you'll never look back.
  • edited April 2011
    In Response to Re: help! Lost half my bankroll:
    Knowing when to fold is they key m8ty, hardest lesson in poker. You know your beat but you still call ) DOH! you got it :O)
    Posted by rancid
    Exactly exactly exactly THIS
  • edited April 2011
    Just an update. I've won all four £1 DYMs I've played so far. Is it advisable to play 2-4 tables like this?
  • edited April 2011
    I can only echo what Acid said, I played 2p/4p the other night to pass some time as was amazed at the play that goes on.  I found by playing ABC poker and tightening up I was able to punish the extreme LAG nature of the table.  Nit it up and make a profit my friend ;)
  • edited April 2011
    Depends if you want to take it seriously, have you got money to reload if all else fails? if no then i dont recommend playing cash as you need minimum 15-20 buy ins and definately should buy in full

5 BI is pretty standard but u need to be reviewing seeing if their are any common errors or post in clinic if you are not sure as there's alot of good posters on here.

personally if i had £20 even tho i have alot of experiance ill prob play £1.15 DYM. If you have a good success rate on these then add a table and monitor whether to 1 or 2 table, if comfortable then again i add a table i generally play 2 for DYM at £5.50-£11 level. Stick at DYM's till at least £50 then throw the odd £2.20 deepie maybe even £3.30 MTT as a treat.  £100 at least for cash even nl4 imo and just play solid TAG
  • edited April 2011
    In your post it seems you,ve recognised your mistakes at 2p/4p so considering your BR and recent DYM success I would probably stick with them for a bit and play a bit of cash as well to keep yourself interested -

i would probably step up to £3 DYM,s when your back to £30 + where the rake goes down to 10% and with some of the winnings  buy into the 2p/4p with the max ( £4 ) and think about your decisions a bit more as you seem to know where you are going wrong in that dept

GL  - let us know how u get on
  • edited April 2011
    I started with 8 quid at 2p/4p and it is monotonous grinding. I have to echo everybody else, play really tight and be really really patient and it does eventually pay off, but it takes a while. Dont bluff, unless you have really good reads. When you know you are in front, play really aggressive and you usually get a caller or two. Sounds like you get a bit bored so open up a few tables so the good hands come more regular and punish them when you hit a monster. It really is a case of patience and discipline down there.

As for building your bankroll, it sounds like you have found your niche at sng dym's. Play those relentlessly until you have a decent BR behind you and then you have a bit of leeway to try other things. Keep a written diary on how and where your successes are and also more importantly where your losses are. I found that 2.20MTT bounty hunters can pay off as you can usually get your money back from the head prizes even if you dont cash.