You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Sky Poker forums will be temporarily unavailable from 11pm Wednesday July 25th.
Sky Poker Forums is upgrading its look! Stay tuned for the big reveal!

How to recover from a bad beat?

edited April 2011 in Poker Chat
I guess beein gon the end of a bad beat happens to every one, maybe more to some than most ;)?

I assume this can lead to tilt?  playing in the 8k bounty Monday night with 20 plaers left i manged to get back from 1000 chips when the average was 5k to chip boss with 105K..

I then went on to make 2 mistakes in 2 hands which ended my tourney and to be honest it's effected my game so much since that i have lost discipline to the extent it seems every thin g or any way i bet seems to end up beeing a bad choice,.. 

I am aware of the mistakes i made but the first mistake i made lead to me making the 2nd mistake, the first time i was to passive to build my pot with trip 3's and the 2nd i to to aggresive to build the pot on a nuts flush draw, both times i lost and it put me out of the tourny after 4 hours of good play..

Since then no cards i have seem to hold up. so i ssume my cofindence has taken a huge dip..

So my question is whats the quickest way to recover from this.?

Comments

• edited April 2011
    Firstly congrats on a very good cash, lets focus on the positives.

To get to 20th in the main event BH is a good performance, you must have made some good moves, got some value from big hands and made some good lay downs, have a look at the hand history and concentrate on the positives, good cash with some bounties thrown in I guess.

Focus on how well you must have played to get from 1000 to 105K, sure it was all about picking spots at that time but you picked the right ones, when you had a playable stack you obviously did plenty right.

How well did you play in position? Were there any pots that perhaps you shouldn't have played out of position?

Maybe discuss your two exit hands in the poker clinic, some great advice in there.

BH games are a different breed of poker so don't beat yourself up about two hands, at least you were going for the win!

Patience and discipline, top tip from Redmond Lee on channel 865, keep it in your head!

Dave
  • edited April 2011
    thanks for that dave, i understand what you are saying!!..

The problem i am having now is all my cards are beeing beat, AA AK etc,  iv called over 8 hands all in whilst ahead and been beat on the river every time..  i dont think it's bad play on my part, it just seems as if every move i make gets punished..
  • edited April 2011
    Also remember that in that same BH, you came back with a miracle river to outflush my made flush. Basically, we all get bad beats, it's how you deal with them that makes the difference (I decided to win The Open the next day to make up for it ;-) )
  • edited April 2011
    And he's not in the least bit smug....

TKP FTW
  • edited April 2011
    to be fair, i think iv got over  my mistake in the tourney.. It's my current luck now..

having said that iv noticed i win cash playin gtourneys and am in good profit. iv lost all that profit on the cash tables, i get so impatiant, board and aggresive  on cash tables so think i will give them a miss..

paying £20 to enter a STT or MTT compared to losing £20 on a cash table i can handle alot better because i know before i enter i dont mind the entry fee. a little bit like paying £35 for a lap dance lol..
  • edited April 2011
               Was leading the open last night ,with 40 left ,button raises with aj ,and i re raise with jj.,he goes allin and i call ..........it comes 4 diamonds ,to give him nut flush ,my tourneys practically over at this point ,but had just enough chips left to fold my way in to the cash .   any way ,he comments "thats about the 5th time you have 3 bet me ,that's why i went all in "           And i say "well that's about the 600th time you have raised up the blinds from the button "  anyway ,standard stuff ......................but earlier on in the evening i got it allin with a7 against tens ,and 55 against kk and won ,,,,,,,,,,so swings and roundabouts really ,you get it wrong sometimes and win ,and you get it right sometimes and lose ,           I was disappointed last night ,not to have gone deeper ,but when i think back ,i was lucky to be in that position to start with ,we always remember the beats                               coming back to your question tho ........take a couple of weeks off ,clear your head ,forget about poker ,do something else ,,,,,,,,,,then come back fresh ,with a clear mindset ....TEN
  • edited April 2011
    what do is step away from tables after a rant in area 51, and start having a few bevvies, nice cash though
  • edited April 2011
    I find having a cushion to punch helps! Dont sit next to the missus tho.

On a serious note, i have currently been going through the worst run since i started. Today, i got beat with KK when i ran in to AA but then ground away until i made aprofit, suddenly my game came back and away i went. Look over your hand history, see the mistakes, if they are just bad beats, keep going and it WILL turn around. I think Flashflush said on another thread that playing even more tables should even the variants out and it seemed to work for me today. Have a small break for a couple of days and then start grinding away again.
  • edited April 2011
    TENof - methinks just not your night last night x
  • edited April 2011
    I don't understand poker 'tilt' as I don't experience it, but I'll pass on some advice from some scruffy-dressed bloke I've just seen on TV (channel 865 as it happens) saying that poker is a never-ending game and there will always be another hand.
    I was going to say don't get mad over a game, but I remembered how Call Of Duty:Modern Warfare on Veteran mode nearly drove me to suicide before I completed it.....

• edited April 2011

thank you rogue ,the ak in the 10 seater ,was class as well,was in shock for a good half n hour  lol :)

• edited April 2011
    If it's any consolation TENof, same player did me too...I managed to get Hoggers off 88 with 75 and oesd but there was no way that one was folding anything.
  • edited April 2011
    For TENof
    funbags44 Small blind  75.00 75.00 8385.16
    RogueCell Big blind  150.00 225.00 1990.00
      Your hole cards

GREGHOGG Raise  300.00 525.00 4099.84
    funbags44 Call  225.00 750.00 8160.16
    RogueCell Call  150.00 900.00 1840.00
    Flop

funbags44 Check     
    RogueCell Check     
    GREGHOGG Bet  450.00 1350.00 3649.84
    funbags44 Call  450.00 1800.00 7710.16
    RogueCell All-in  1840.00 3640.00 0.00
    GREGHOGG Fold     
    funbags44 Call  1390.00 5030.00 6320.16
    funbags44 Show
    • K

RogueCell Show

Turn

River

funbags44 Win Two Pairs, 6s and 2s 5030.00  11350.16
  • edited April 2011
    In Response to Re: How to recover from a bad beat?:
    For TENof funbags44 Small blind   75.00 75.00 8385.16 RogueCell Big blind   150.00 225.00 1990.00   Your hole cards 5 7       GREGHOGG Raise   300.00 525.00 4099.84 funbags44 Call   225.00 750.00 8160.16 RogueCell Call   150.00 900.00 1840.00 Flop     10 6 4       funbags44 Check         RogueCell Check         GREGHOGG Bet   450.00 1350.00 3649.84 funbags44 Call   450.00 1800.00 7710.16 RogueCell All-in   1840.00 3640.00 0.00 GREGHOGG Fold         funbags44 Call   1390.00 5030.00 6320.16 funbags44 Show 6 K       RogueCell Show 5 7       Turn     2       River     2       funbags44 Win Two Pairs, 6s and 2s 5030.00   11350.16 Prev Close window Next
    Posted by RogueCell
    i folded 8s
  • edited April 2011
    In Response to Re: How to recover from a bad beat?:
    In Response to Re: How to recover from a bad beat? : i folded 8s
    Posted by GREGHOGG
              LOL rogue ,greg tell you he had 88s?,    greg only plays 3 hands,, aa ,kk, ak ...........obviously he had ak ,THIS,  i am 100% certain of ....lol ,ten ....
  • edited April 2011
    Chocolate , wine and a hug x
  • edited April 2011
    all good points and thank you for the replies, all have been noted. i think the quickest way to recover from tilt is a nice win which i was able to do ;)..