You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Sky Poker forums will be temporarily unavailable from 11pm Wednesday July 25th.
Sky Poker Forums is upgrading its look! Stay tuned for the big reveal!

raising

edited April 2011 in Poker Chat

i have only just started playing so this is a question. the experts always say go into the pot with a raise, this is good at higher level if you know what you are doing at the £1 £2 mtt stage. it seems to get people into trouble. they raise the pot. miss. and then get out played if i played lolufold and kept raising the pot nine times out of ten i would be out played and end up skint. so the question is at the begining are i better trying to see a cheap flop. then only playing strong hands

Comments

• edited April 2011

Hi bigr.

Generally speaking, just calling is fine if you want to play passively, it might limit your losses for a little while but it could also get expensive and your bankroll will dwindle away because your not going to win many big pots that way. Its also a bad habit to get into.

It is much better to raise/bet than to just call imo. Try to get in the habit of being the person making the agressive move in pots rather than the one who is just calling and being led by the agressor.

Be brave. you wont be out played as often as you think when you raise and bet strongly. However, if you just limp into every pot your gonna be outplayed nearly every time. Play within your bankroll you will be fine.

Remember also that if you are playing 4nl for example that bluffing is not recommended as people will call very wide. So you need to maximise the value from your premium hands. So limping here with JJ and AK for example would be a crime, however, limping with small pocket pairs in early/mid postion  is usually fine at the lower levels because if you hit a set its payday! I would always raise any pocket pair unopened from the button tho.  

Good luck

Hoggers

• edited April 2011
                IF we are talking about mtts here ,bigr ,low stakes mtts ,especially bounty hunters ,can be a minefield for calling stations...........my advice tho ..............be aggressive ,with your premium hands ,raise it up 6x 7x even up to 10x the bb ,depending on how many have limped in before you ..............................and always remember ,if you miss the flop ,with your ak aq ,big aces ,medium pocket pairs ,you only had the best hand pre flop ,there is no shame in FOLDING .......................let these loose players call you,with their 10 7 os ,and their 9 8 os ,and other junk ..............when you hit ,with your hand ,and you will ,make sure you give them enough rope to hang themselves ,,,,,,,,,,,,,TEN
  • edited April 2011
  • edited April 2011

Figure out the best way to beat your opponents and adapt accordingly.

Normally this is to play aggressive but their are exceptions. 

• edited April 2011
    Forget about listening to the pro's, watch them play super deepstack HV cash, pre flop its just not that aggressive.

Post flop isolated it isnt even so.  Totally agree with what doh says.