You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Sky Poker forums will be temporarily unavailable from 11pm Wednesday July 25th.
Sky Poker Forums is upgrading its look! Stay tuned for the big reveal!

Crikey, what a frustrating game!

edited May 2011 in The Poker Clinic

I started with a £10.00 stake in january and have really slowly and painfully built that up to a massive £75.00 ;o)

I play at the lowest possible level 02/04nl and understand the difficulties of learning to read other players hands at this level.

I don't want to start whining about how unfair the game is or how sad or stoopid a bar steward I must be, because I guess at any level, all of our opponents are trying to take our money as much as we are trying to take thiers, and I would assume, they believe, they have as much right to mine as I do thiers.  

However it would be nice if there was some measure of logic to the game, it seems as though the more I learn the harder it gets!

So with this in mind I wondered if I could have some comments on this hand:

I'm in the cut off with a suited ace, I like playing suited aces in late position but i dont get wedded to them unless its suited to a king. I opened with x2 raise for a couple of reasons, 

1. I'm throwing away ace high real quick if I dont hit the flop or if I'm getting cbets stuffed back in my eye!
2. This table was limping uber-lots, but uber-folding to open raises too. 

PlayerActionCardsAmountPotBalanceCityblue1Small blind £0.02£0.02£1.44shark11Big blind £0.04£0.06£2.54wellerwellSit out     Your hole cards8A   moses0303Fold    ZedsDeadBaRaise £0.12£0.18£4.39karismaCall £0.12£0.30£7.94Cityblue1Fold    shark11Fold    Flop  A37   ZedsDeadBaBet £0.15£0.45£4.24karismaCall £0.15£0.60£7.79Turn  Q   ZedsDeadBaCheck    karismaBet £0.30£0.90£7.49ZedsDeadBaRaise £0.60£1.50£3.64karismaCall £0.30£1.80£7.19River  2   ZedsDeadBaCheck    karismaCheck    ZedsDeadBaShow8A   karismaShow32   karismaWinTwo Pairs, 3s and 2s£1.66 £8.85
On the flop my suited ace becomes a rag ace so I tread carefully, happy to muck 'em.

On the turn I continue to tread carefully and check but have already decided that if he likes the queen I'll raise him, now happy with my ace.

Come the river I guess Im lucky not to get stacked, because I was going all-in had he bet my check! 

My opponent had a 2x buy-in stack so I didnt think he was a mug but at this level who knows who is ;0))

Any thoughts?

ZED.

Comments

• edited May 2011
    Hi Zed. I hate these hands, they always get me in trouble so i tend to fold these pre flop. However the raise pre looks ok, could be a little bigger but it is fine as it is.
    The flop comes with two diamonds, this should be raised 3/4 pot or pot size just to take the odds off him in case he is sat with 2 diamonds and i think you might get this through there and then.
    I dont mind the check on the turn but a raise would be better as you were the original aggressor, i hate the re-raise as you have a raggy ace and he could easily be outkicking you here.
    The river looks ok. I wouldnt push the lot in if he raises back. Check call mode for me.

God knows why he slows down after hitting 2 pair! You got lucky there.
  • edited May 2011
    bet flop and turn bigger than halfpot and depending on river u can prob also bet again