You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Sky Poker forums will be temporarily unavailable from 11pm Wednesday July 25th.
Sky Poker Forums is upgrading its look! Stay tuned for the big reveal!

All in Jam!!!

edited May 2011 in The Poker Clinic

It seems the last year (12 months) sky poker has got very aggressive and I'm having troublee keeping up! the latest thing seems to be the all in jam how do you counter this move unless you have the nuts? here is an example (I put him/her on an over pair but could easily have had two over cards) even when the blinds are small players will go all in to win the blinds just how can you counter the all in?

JONONZIE Small blind  10.00 10.00 1970.00 spurdog Big blind  20.00 30.00 1760.00  Your hole cards 8 7    babychris Fold     Wot_A_Flop Fold     Fat_Uncle Raise  80.00 110.00 1920.00 sophie123 Call  80.00 190.00 2260.00 JONONZIE Call  70.00 260.00 1900.00 spurdog Call  60.00 320.00 1700.00 Flop  6 8 9    JONONZIE Bet  160.00 480.00 1740.00 spurdog Fold     Fat_Uncle Fold     sophie123 All-in  2260.00 2740.00 0.00 JONONZIE Fold     sophie123 Muck     sophie123 Win  640.00  640.00 sophie123 Return  2100.00 0.00 2740.00 PrevClose windowNext

Comments

• edited May 2011

The last thing i want to do here is gamble with second pair and a draw but this situation happens more and more with players just shoving and i prefer to play poker rather than bingo!  

• edited May 2011
    why are you leading flop
  • edited May 2011
    In Response to Re: All in Jam!!!:
    why are you leading flop
    Posted by grantorino

I lead out because with second pair and straight draw I wanted one or both of the  players to fold (semi-bluff)  if they dont fold build the pot should I hit the straight or two pair, also to make any draws pay to see another card. now Iv answered your question can you answer mine?

I would also like to know what you would do and why. 
  • edited May 2011
    by leading out ur liable to get out played im re-raising you if im the raiser with air 90% of the time (although thats just me) even if i call, and you dont hit the turn you likley check allowing me to bet you off the pot.

Id prefer a check raise here every time, even if you only check call but you really cant be folding here imo, best your going to get with 78 without flopping the nuts ( what where you hoping to flop)
  • edited May 2011
    I'd rather check raise this pot here- bear in mind, you weren't the preflop aggressor. I'd rate you now to have the best hand more times than not, and the times you don't- you almost always have a lot of live outs. With 3 players behind you to act, let them take the lead and get some more information- your hand plays a lot better when there's more invested and you can be the one applying the pressure.

You check, allin monkey probably makes a c-bet of 200/300, you can now shove allin yourself with great equity. You could call and re-evaluate- I think that's a poor move here oop- or you could make a smaller raise, which might be more beneficial, but if they shove it all in, you're still committed to call in reality. So I like the c/r allin.

If someone raises then spazzes out and jams allin before you act, just fold without any need to commit any chips. If all 3 players check behind (unlikely) you get a free card to hopefully make the nuts.
  • edited May 2011

I either c/r or c/c generally dpending on villains, if I think they can fold better c/r if not prob c/c. If there is crazy action in front just c/f. Dont really like leading because getting raised or called both kind of suck oop, and we dont get enough folds (also if everyone folds we are bluffing with best hand, although thats prob not that bad here)

• edited May 2011

Cheers all this has given me food for thought, I did not expect a raise or jam after I lead out on the flop I hoped for a call then re-evaluate the turn but any great strengh shown and I would fold hopefully limiting further chip loss which is what happened.

but I'm not to worried about this hand just the amount of time people just jam the pot just seems to happen again and again raising is not an option anymore and players will just shuv it all in, no counter to that unless you have the nuts or want to gamble.
    but thanks for taking the time to reply I will take it all in for future reference. 
  • edited May 2011
    I honestly think your opponent here has a very big pair (more than likely aces), and has panicked at that flop. You are almost certainly behind at the point of the jam, and your fold is good - too early to be chasing open-ended straight draws for your tournament.
    Much as people talk about bingo. The jam is an effective way of saying "leave it", when a flop like this one comes down. Yes, you could run into 2 pairs (the made staright is unlikely), but with aces here, do you want to see a turn and river?