You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Sky Poker forums will be temporarily unavailable from 11pm Wednesday July 25th.
Sky Poker Forums is upgrading its look! Stay tuned for the big reveal!

Help with final stage play.

edited May 2011 in The Poker Clinic
Hi all,
I have been a player on sky a couple of months now and have developed my game to a stage where I can make it to the later stages of tournaments. The problem is I struggle a bit with the larger stacks and shove or fold style. I am a non believer and am prone to getting a rush of blood and either shoving or calling an all in with just above average hands e.g K,Q suited.
Yesterday in a £20 quid tourney I did all my chips in two hands and went from chip leader to out. I called a raise with Q,10 Suited, flop came K,10, 3, I expected a C bet which came and raised as I did not think he'd hit the king. He called and Turn came K, AT THIS Stage two thirds of my half my stack was in the pot. He checked and I raised leaving myself 8 big blinds. He called which put him all in, he turned over K, 10 for the full house.
Was this unlucky or was there something I missed. I really thought he sensed weakeness and was bullying me off.
In a similar scenario I final tabled last nights TOTY, was worried I would be outplayed by a better standard of player. First hand I had K,Q and the button raised, I re-raised and he shoved. I knew I might be  behind but could not put it down as I thought I was been bullied of the pot. I called and he showed A,J, fllop came K high and I took the pot but the play still bothered me. How do you manage a big stack where most plays are all in. Is it really just up to the poker gods? I did settle down after that play and rode home in 2nd place.
Any advice would be greatly welcomed and I plan on making more final tables in the near future!!!
Sorry I have not worked out how to post hands.
Regards
Celtbhoy

Comments

• edited May 2011
    I called a raise with Q,10 Suited

Generally there lies your problem and alot of people do this, later stages its more important not to limp and waste chips. also when your raising make sure your aware of the table, standard 2.2-2.5 raise should give you the same info maybe even a min raise.

You were slightly unlucky in the above hand but as i say come in with a raise it will give you more info. Calling= Wasting chips when blinds are higher
  • edited May 2011
    Hand 1: fold pre, QTs oop is a horrible hand. Dont raise flop, you are turning your hand into a bluff and its a pretty bad bluff

Hand2: Depends how deep you were, if your shallow its a pretty standard shove, deeper you could flat pre
  • edited May 2011
    Thanks, sort of know really should not be calling and that even min raises can get information. Just seems I get a rush of blood at times and fear I am been outplayed by a better standard of player, I have no problem in early stages of laying down hands if iut doesn't feel right, just seems to be the latter stages which I am only just beginning to experience. Thanks for comments.
    Regards