You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Sky Poker forums will be temporarily unavailable from 11pm Wednesday July 25th.
Sky Poker Forums is upgrading its look! Stay tuned for the big reveal!

Flopped the nuts - Now to figure out how to get paid

edited May 2011 in The Poker Clinic

Oppo has been pretty LAG. He's been seen bluffing at pots with ace high & got involved in an AI situation BvB with K6o.

Having flopped the nuts I c/c flop mainly because I'm pretty certain that he will put some money in the pot for me. I figured that by playing it this way he might think I've either got the ace or was on a draw.

The turn is a great card for me. If he's got a decent club then he will likely think he's good here & again I thought that by checking it gives him another opportunity to bluff at the pot. Once he bets out here I need to get some money in the pot to make it an easy river shove.

What's the best sizing here so that I can keep my customer? Of course, if he doesn't have a club then I might not keep him at all but I need to get something in there!

PlayerActionCardsAmountPotBalance
silentbob Small blind  £0.05 £0.05 £11.64
OPPO Big blind  £0.10 £0.15 £7.91
 Your hole cards
  • K

Fold     
 Fold     
 Fold     
 Fold     
silentbob Raise  £0.25 £0.40 £11.39
OPPO Call  £0.20 £0.60 £7.71
Flop

• A

silentbob Check     
OPPO Bet  £0.30 £0.90 £7.41
silentbob Call  £0.30 £1.20 £11.09
Turn

• Q

silentbob Check     
OPPO Bet  £1.20 £2.40 £6.21
silentbob Raise?? How Much??    

Comments

• edited May 2011
    Id rather the check raise on the flop rather than the turn. I think by check raising the turn u might as well show your opponent your ahnd.
  • edited May 2011

I think the best play here is to bet three streets. 

If the guy has defended with A x he's gonna think it's the nuts HU on that board. He's not gonna worry about the clubs on the flop.

I disagree about the turn card, I think it stinks, he's gonna fold all the 1 pair hands you could previously have gotten value from.

If you raise here your hand is face up and he could only continue with 2pair/sets to try and outdraw you.

I'd flat, then value bet the river, I don't see how you can get stacks in by check/calling flop.
  • edited May 2011
     I have to agree with the guys here in saying that i think you have taken a line to minimise your winnings on this monster hand. Your entire plan for the hand seems to be to hit big and get him to bluff at you and the turn card here unless he is sat with Jc is the worst card you could have seen because any raise at this point turns your hand over and shows him that he is beat.

There are 2 possible lines that you could have taken on this hand.

Firstly c-bet the flop because most of the time c-bets are not believed and you are liable to get a loose call because they will not believe you have it. Then you keep betting strong and are likely to get paid off by Jc for the same reason.

Secondly is to c-bet the flop and then when the turn comes down to fire out a scared bet (maybe lower in value but definately lower in relation to the pot). This will give the impression of not liking the turn card and can easily encourage him to represent the flush and to try to push you off the hand.

As played it is hard to see you getting any significant bet called on the turn unless the player can not fold 2 pair hands or just refuses to believe you.Just a few thoughts that occurred to me hopefully it helps but i am sure that others will disagree with me.
  • edited May 2011

bet flop, if raised get it in

as played call turn, I prob go for c/r on river, its going to be hard get paid the way you played it though

• edited May 2011

bet bet bet, easy game.