You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Sky Poker forums will be temporarily unavailable from 11pm Wednesday July 25th.
Sky Poker Forums is upgrading its look! Stay tuned for the big reveal!

How to combat a bad run

edited May 2011 in The Poker Clinic
I have now being playing for what seems to be 6 months (its probally a lot less), but it came to me last night playing at Luton that i am probs going though one of my worst runs of cards in my short playing career.I spent all 3 hours of playing there with only 3 decent hands which one got me a double up.

I sometimes question just how good my live play is, as times it can seem like all my bluffs get through and i get paid off on my big hands but there are times where i can have the big hands and lose out on the board and bluffs that should get through dont.

I dont play stupid numbers of hands and i tend to play decent hands by the book 2.5 to 4x PFR and then 55-70% pot bets after the flop.

Is there anything technically that i can do or could it just be i need a few weeks out and get back into playing again fresh

Comments

• edited May 2011
    self doubt is prob the worst thing any poker player can have, and everyone has/will have it at some point. put some hands up here and let others tell you where/if you are going wrong    phil

• edited May 2011
    run better
    some tournaments just wont go your way, mtts have high variance

you only get about 20 hands an hour live so its easy enough to be card dead
  • edited May 2011
    In Response to How to combat a bad run:
    I have now being playing for what seems to be 6 months (its probally a lot less), but it came to me last night playing at Luton that i am probs going though one of my worst runs of cards in my short playing career.I spent all 3 hours of playing there with only 3 decent hands which one got me a double up. I sometimes question just how good my live play is, as times it can seem like all my bluffs get through and i get paid off on my big hands but there are times where i can have the big hands and lose out on the board and bluffs that should get through dont. I dont play stupid numbers of hands and i tend to play decent hands by the book 2.5 to 4x PFR and then 55-70% pot bets after the flop. Is there anything technically that i can do or could it just be i need a few weeks out and get back into playing again fresh
    Posted by TjBet
    mtt or cash? 6months or a lot less? how much of this have you played online (wat kind of volume?) and what live? how have you learnt to play by which methods?
  • edited May 2011

If you feel you're playing/running bad just take a bit of time off, that's what I do and my results always pick up
  • edited May 2011
    In Response to Re: How to combat a bad run:
    In Response to How to combat a bad run : mtt or cash? 6months or a lot less? how much of this have you played online (wat kind of volume?) and what live? how have you learnt to play by which methods?
    Posted by N1CK
    My cash seems to be going ok but i hardly play cash at more than 5/10p. MTTs on the other hand is the areas that im struggling with, i try to go for a aggressive early start to try to build up my stack but often end up losing much of my stack because of one or two hands where people hit on the river.

Is trying to go out very aggressive possibly not the best thing to do against decent players on a table?
  • edited May 2011
    In Response to Re: How to combat a bad run:
    If you feel you're playing/running bad just take a bit of time off, that's what I do and my results always pick up
    Posted by cookie83
    Yea i have had that happen before when i have taken a little time off... im gonna have 2 weeks off and then slowly get back into it.