You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Sky Poker forums will be temporarily unavailable from 11pm Wednesday July 25th.
Sky Poker Forums is upgrading its look! Stay tuned for the big reveal!

Live Poker Question

edited May 2011 in Poker Chat
Hi, I wonder if you could help me. I have a question regarding live poker play. It may be obvious to some people, but I want to confirm it.

Does what you say before it's your turn to act commit you to anything.

For example, say I'm big blind, everyone folds to small blind. Small blind is looking at me for tells, can I say to him, "If you raise I'm All In". Suppose he does then raise can I then Fold or am I binded to what I said before it's my turn to act.

I think what's said before it's your time to act should be irrelevant, but I wanted to confirm this.

Hope this makes sense,

Many thanks,

Graham (STAYORGO)

Comments

• edited May 2011
    It depends on the TD in honesty. I usually hold them to it when im running events. Others regard it as collussion and some as just part of "speech play"
  • edited May 2011
    In Response to Live Poker Question:
    Hi, I wonder if you could help me. I have a question regarding live poker play. It may be obvious to some people, but I want to confirm it. Does what you say before it's your turn to act commit you to anything. For example, say I'm big blind, everyone folds to small blind. Small blind is looking at me for tells, can I say to him, "If you raise I'm All In". Suppose he does then raise can I then Fold or am I binded to what I said before it's my turn to act. I think what's said before it's your time to act should be irrelevant, but I wanted to confirm this. Hope this makes sense, Many thanks, Graham (STAYORGO)
    Posted by StayOrGo
    Your verbal declaration stands.  If you say you are all-in then you are all-in....so hold your tongue :)

(I have played poker in many establishments across the country, and I have never found a poker room which does NOT abide by this rule.)
  • edited May 2011

This is very interesting. I have not played live much but at DTD last year, a player after folding twice previous to all ins after his initial raise stated after his 3rd raise on the trot - 'I ain't folding this time and I will call any all in now' and the whole table, including the dealer, heard this declaration. I woke up with KK so pushed all in and had him covered. After asking for a count, he folded!  Could I of got a ruling on this or would I of not of had a case? 
  • edited May 2011
    I could have sworn i watched poker on tv, where players have said along the lines of if you push im calling, and when they push they fold
  • edited May 2011
    Thanks for your responses all,

Sky_Mandy in response to your reply. If I were to state that I would, "likely have to go all in" instead of stating that I would definately go All In, how would that be regarded by the TD.

Many thanks,

Graham (STAYORGO)

I

n Response to Re: Live Poker Question:
    I could have sworn i watched poker on tv, where players have said along the lines of if you push im calling, and when they push they fold
    Posted by shazallin