You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Sky Poker forums will be temporarily unavailable from 11pm Wednesday July 25th.
Sky Poker Forums is upgrading its look! Stay tuned for the big reveal!

Cant beat a loose turbo Tourney that runs tonight. All advice gratefully received.

edited May 2011 in The Poker Clinic
There's a turbo shortstack i've had a crack at on a thursday night, but my results are awful.  Mainly guys that work at a local power plant.  Generally the standard of play is awful, but there are three or 4 guys that are pretty good.

There tends to be about 35-45 runners, starting stack of 4000, blinds run at 20mins, but go up stupidly.

25/50
50/100
100/200
200/400
1k/2k
2k/4k
4k/8k
8k/16k

Buy in is £100, I think I've only cashed once.  But I do well enough in the side games for it to be a profitable night.

But the standard of play is just terrible.  Half the table play every hand, dont fold to raises, have no understanding of position or have any table awareness at all.  If they like their hand their in, simple as.

Because of the starting stack if you make even one mistake from level 2 onwards your pretty much done.

I just cant crack it.  My money goes in by way ahead, but because you've been called in so many spots there are just so many cards to dodge its insane.

I have to figure I dont care if I get unlucky and go out early, as it means I get into the cash game early and start building a stack for deepstack collisions hours later.  So with this in mind do you go down the uber aggressive street or pot control route.  Or something else.

That game is really getting to me.

Comments

• edited May 2011
    Play big hands hard and value bet them to death.
  • edited May 2011
    Lol this is the thing :)

Say you find AK/Q  Pocket 10's upwards, raise 5.5x b in eary mid position, get called in 5 spots.  Value betting against 5 idiots luckbox ranges becomes incredibly difficult and dangerous, especially since most of them wont fold any draw!

I was thinking about approaching it the same way as I do their cash game. Limp Jamming big hands.  Seems like a better way to isolate rather than having one raise called multi way...
  • edited May 2011
    In Response to Re: Cant beat a loose turbo Tourney that runs tonight. All advice gratefully received.:
    Lol this is the thing :) Say you find AK/Q  Pocket 10's upwards, raise 5.5x b in eary mid position, get called in 5 spots.  Value betting against 5 idiots luckbox ranges becomes incredibly difficult and dangerous, especially since most of them wont fold any draw! I was thinking about approaching it the same way as I do their cash game. Limp Jamming big hands.  Seems like a better way to isolate rather than having one raise called multi way...
    Posted by AMYBR

Make it 6x, 7x, 8x, 9x until you find the highest amount they're willing to pay.

Speed/turbo tournys r guna be high varience no matter how big your edge is though. It's probably normal to go loads in a row without cashing.
  • edited May 2011
    Thanks for that, makes me feel a little better :)  Only issue though is that if you make it 6x7x8x from level 2 onwards your pretty much committed.

yeah turbo's and rebuys arent really my thing
  • edited May 2011
    if they are that bad just open shove AK+ it sounds pretty terrible advice but if they snap off with aj aq who cares, get chips early in later stages will be better players left then you can play or play mtts with better structures that suit your game

btw were is this game? it sounds more like a freeroll than a £100 pull up
  • edited May 2011
    It feels like a freeroll trust me.  What do you think to limp 3 betting all in, pick up all the dead money in between?Its kind of somewhere that we ought not to do it, but its done discreetly in a small hotel function room.  Rather not say more here but I'll PM you it.
  • edited May 2011
    It there that much of a calling station, just open shove with high pocket when you get it.. double through and then do it again and then sit tight and let the short stack get desperate.. Sounds like a good game though if the players are that rubbish lol
  • edited May 2011
    They really are, worse even.  Thing is though is that there's a few who consistently run so hot that it just reinforces their horrific play, approach.  In the long run I love it as they'll lose a fortune over the years, but it really is an obstacle.

This one person is in every single hand regardless of the action.  One of the few good players has been picking up trash all night and is on auto fold.  He finally raise a pot 4x blind in the second level on my BB, he gets 3 callers, I find AJh so am pretty much priced in.  Flop comes A7Jr.  They are not folding so lead out half pot.  Solid player folds (QQ shows me at showdown) other 3 players call.  A7J2.  I go all in with top two, get two callers, pocket 6's and 67o, 7 hits the river when moneys allin.  How do you play against that? :)
  • edited May 2011
    THats just unlucky will not happen over the long run. Either go all in pre and let the poker gods decide providing you get it in good you cant do any better. Or maybe try a little pot control with calling stations. If they are going to go to the river let them and let them call it off when you KNOW they are beat (though this i think is only possible if you have deep enough stack and early in the tournament)

• edited May 2011
    I'll pay you £50 per visit for an invite to this game
  • edited May 2011
    In Response to Re: Cant beat a loose turbo Tourney that runs tonight. All advice gratefully received.:
    THats just unlucky will not happen over the long run. Either go all in pre and let the poker gods decide providing you get it in good you cant do any better. Or maybe try a little pot control with calling stations. If they are going to go to the river let them and let them call it off when you KNOW they are beat (though this i think is only possible if you have deep enough stack.
    Posted by hamster880

These are pretty much the points that i'm trying to put across.  This is just unlucky as you say, but when your playing multi way pots, where the pot has got too big pre, where people wont fold your likelyhood of being "unlucky" on the river is proportionately higher.  But as Doh says, this is the nature of shallow turbo's i guess.

I have adopted the limp Jam 4 bet in EP strategy and pot control in mid late position in the cash game against the same players, so I think I may introduce the same strategy in the tournament.  Issue is that these guys make alot of money, so they dont overly care about the cash game, which leads me to the conclusion they'll care even less about their tournament chips.

But the above is a winning strategy against them in cash so I'll see how it goes tonight.
  • edited May 2011
    Or here is an idea??? If there is that much variance make an aggreement with the other good TAGs prior to the game that you will split the winning over X amount of games. One of you is bound to cash - you cant all get unlucky
  • edited May 2011
    Or here is an idea??? If there is that much variance make an aggreement with the other good TAGs prior to the game that you will split the winning over X amount of games. One of you is bound to cash - you cant all get unlucky
    Posted by hamster880
    the problem with this is that the OP doesn't fall under the good TAG criteria...... ;-)
  • edited May 2011
    In Response to Re: Cant beat a loose turbo Tourney that runs tonight. All advice gratefully received. : the problem with this is that the OP doesn't fall under the good TAG criteria...... ;-)
    Posted by N1CK

Your mean but I'm going to stop biting.  There are between 3 and 6 of us that have a £50 last longer bet, WTA, so that spices it up a little.

I'd never do the other thing though.  Have under the table agreements in a few games to shut down river bets w/out the top 5 nut hands but this is different.
  • edited May 2011
    Sounds like all you need is a bit of run-good, it's pretty clear you'll destroy these guys in the long run but variance hasn't been on your side so far.
  • edited May 2011
    In Response to Re: Cant beat a loose turbo Tourney that runs tonight. All advice gratefully received. : Your mean but I'm going to stop biting.  There are between 3 and 6 of us that have a £50 last longer bet, WTA, so that spices it up a little. I'd never do the other thing though.  Have under the table agreements in a few games to shut down river bets w/out the top 5 nut hands but this is different.
    Posted by AMYBR

Really? Both sound very dodgy to me, although not sure exactly how the latter works

As regards your other queries limp/3betting big hands sounds fine in early levels, just open jamming when you get shallower sounds good. These games will have huge variance but should also be very profitable over time
  • edited May 2011
    In Response to Re: Cant beat a loose turbo Tourney that runs tonight. All advice gratefully received. :
    In Response to Re: Cant beat a loose turbo Tourney that runs tonight. All advice gratefully received. : Your mean but I'm going to stop biting.  There are between 3 and 6 of us that have a £50 last longer bet, WTA, so that spices it up a little. I'd never do the other thing though.  Have under the table agreements in a few games to shut down river bets w/out the top 5 nut hands but this is different . Posted by AMYBR Really? Both sound very dodgy to me, although not sure exactly how the latter works As regards your other queries limp/3betting big hands sounds fine in early levels, just open jamming when you get shallower sounds good. These games will have huge variance but should also be very profitable over time
    Posted by grantorino

Yeah when blinds start getting up there open shoving is mandatory, your getting called pretty wide though.

Simple with the 5(ish) nut hand thing though.  There's a few players that i greatly respect and am pretty good friends with.  I dont really enjoy taking ALL their money.  So we'd arranged this agreement over time.  You get back the value you lose overall IMO  (as in you dont pay off their river bet).  Certain guidelines go with it though.
  • edited May 2011
    softplaying friends is very poor form imo
  • edited May 2011
    Ended out a good night.  Played 7's timidily, but would have lost to Ax and he'd have called pre.  Slow played K's against a good player and got paid.  Jammed an idiots EP raise with AJ disproportionately, he still called with 89s, i win big pot early with A high.  End up 3rd after jamming A7 on the button being called by JK.

Enter the cash game late.  Open on the button with 5's, where i may often limp.  Decent player calls as do two idiots.  Flop comes AQ5r yippee.  Bet half pot after checks round get called in two spots, turn comes a blank, i bet half my remaining stack, get jammed on and called before it gets back to me.  good player has AQ, idiot has QJ, river bricks I win a big pot, happy days.  Only pot I played.

Red wine calls me now :)
  • edited May 2011
    Ive read some of this but not all, read full origional thread

Turbo tournys are spews. I actually used to play in a very similar structured tournament with very similar players. 3000 was starting stack and the blinds where exactly the same. although we had a 400/800 and 500/1000 level which i think makes a huge differance.

Although even then the last time i played in that 18 people left and the big stack had 4BB. My 3.5BB stack walked out in 18th after a 3way all in on my BB when i had KQ. i flopped a K which was good, until 4 clubs came out.

Anyways needless rambling. The simple way i felt how to deal with this was actually limping in with connectors and 1/2 suited gappers in level one. Just shoving with my big hands. Not ideal but you will get 1 caller. Playing flops with them. I know my edge is crushed by the structure, so by understanding their games better i forgot about out-playing them pre flop. And worry about binking on the flop.

Level 2 i played similar, however by level 3 id tighten up and just shove if i was playing if a number of the limp callers where still in. However if you have now out lasted them and you surrounded by decent players you can maybe start to play "normal poker"