You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Sky Poker forums will be temporarily unavailable from 11pm Wednesday July 25th.
Sky Poker Forums is upgrading its look! Stay tuned for the big reveal!

Thew's News?

edited May 2011 in Poker Chat

Julian Thew's news!

He's had a hectic few weeks since joining with Sky Poker, his annual trip to the Irish Open (K-K busted by Q-Q on Day Two) & a family holiday, but he's well & truly back now.

His first blog - "Backstory" is now up,
HERE 

Feel free to comment "on blog", or within this thread.

He's also doing tonight's TV Show, on Channel 865, so if you want to ask him any questions, feel free to either post them on this Thread, or send an e-mail to
skyopen@bskyb.com

Comments

• edited May 2011
    Epic Blog

Would like to ask Julian, although im not sure it will be allowed. In honesty he states in his blog he was sponsored by two previous sites before arriving here at SkyPoker. How would he compare Sky to these other sites?

P.S. Please just say if im not allowed to ask this lol.
  • edited May 2011

The question is fine, though one thing he is NOT going to do is "knock" his previous sponsors, he's too classy to do that sort of thing.

As to comparing them with Sky Poker, he's barely been here 5 minutes, but I'm very happy to relay the question to him based upon his experience at Sky Poker to date.

I guess I'm in a bad spot to comment, but so far, it's working splendidly, though we've barely started yet. 

He was at SPT Luton, &, privately, the deal had been ageeed then, but it had not been formalised, so it was failrly low key, but he's fully on board now, so SPT Leeds should be pretty neat.

Look out for more Thew News later today, too..... 
  • edited May 2011
    In Response to Re: Thew's News?:
    The question is fine, though one thing he is NOT going to do is "knock" his previous sponsors, he's too classy to do that sort of thing. As to comparing them with Sky Poker, he's barely been here 5 minutes, but I'm very happy to relay the question to him based upon his experience at Sky Poker to date. I guess I'm in a bad spot to comment, but so far, it's working splendidly, though we've barely started yet.  He was at SPT Luton, &, privately, the deal had been ageeed then, but it had not been formalised, so it was failrly low key, but he's fully on board now, so SPT Leeds should be pretty neat. Look out for more Thew News later today, too..... 
    Posted by Tikay10
    cheers tikay.

Im not expecting him to knock anyone. Ive actually played on both sites and sky. and in fairness i have my own opinions, im just curious as to Julians, i just felt that maybe asking the question might be bad for business for sky. promoting rivals etc.

many thanks.
  • edited May 2011
    In Response to Re: Thew's News?:
    In Response to Re: Thew's News? : cheers tikay. Im not expecting him to knock anyone. Ive actually played on both sites and sky. and in fairness i have my own opinions, im just curious as to Julians, i just felt that maybe asking the question might be bad for business for sky. promoting rivals etc. many thanks.
    Posted by The_Don90
    You must understand that it's not really like that in the real world. 'Stars & Wm Hill are aimed at particular segments of the market. Sky Poker's business model is really quite different in every way, so it's like comparing apples & pears. There is much to learn from them, especially 'Stars, & some of it is good.

Sky Poker don't ever want to be like either of those two companies, to be honest. 
  • edited May 2011
    yea i fully understand that tikay (i think). Tbh im glad Sky dont want to be like them.
  • edited May 2011
    hey don, 
    good question lol,
    hills were on the ipoker network which meant they had a big pool of players from various networks....the poker staff all worked very hard, but as hills are primarily a bookmakers you always got the feeling that the poker room was far from the top of HQ's list of priorities.
    stars obv are just huge & as befits a market leader they have a huge engine under their bonnet...losing their entire u.s. market now looks like just a flesh wound; world domination is their goal & i wouldn't bet against them.
    & so onto sky poker...as tony has said i haven't been on site for too long but here are my initial impressions; unique, strong community vibe, education-driven 24/7 tv tie-in, stand-alone network, super keen team behind the scenes...imo this site will grow & grow