You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Sky Poker forums will be temporarily unavailable from 11pm Wednesday July 25th.
Sky Poker Forums is upgrading its look! Stay tuned for the big reveal!

So you wanna be a Pro..........

edited May 2011 in Poker Chat
Following on from another post on another thread where the question was asked about turning a regular profit from Poker. That question was specifically about HU S&G's but it got me thinking about other forms of the game and just how profitable even the profitable players are. 

I play for fun. I have never held any thoughts of attempting to become professional at poker in any form. I just enjoy the game, the banter, the friendship and the opportunity to be mischievous around the forum. On the other thread I looked at what the actual hourly rate earned was of a well known and very successful player on Sky. I was a bit surprised by it and so I'm going to take a look at my stats with a view to ''what I earn'' from my hobby. 

I only play mtt's and rarely play cash. I do OK at cash when I play it but it doesn't really hold much interest for me. Mtt's are where I get my poker fix and up to date I've done OK. These are mine and what they mean:

I've played 856 mtts on Sky and I show a profit of $10,763 or an ROI of 51% from those games. By the way this isn't a disguised brag thread - I'm quite capable of blatant brags, as anyone who sees my FB posts will know :o) So. I show a good healthy profit from 856 games. That works out at $13 per game or mtt. Now I would estimate that my average lifespan in mtts is about 2 hours. I tend to either run deep or crash very early, and I think 2 hours is a reasonable average.

That means I earn $13 for two hours or about £4.50 an hour. As I mentioned in the other thread - My paper-boy earns more than that per hour!!!  Ok so I'd definitely prefer to play poker than deliver newspapers but even so £4 an hour!!! Because I play for entertainment only I am quite comfortable with those figures, but if I was considering playing as a living I'd be a bit concerned as to the hours I would need to put in to make even a basic wage per month.

The point of the post is really for those who are maybe new to the game and considering taking up Poker as a means of income. Cash is another matter altogether and I don't have the experience or skills to comment on that. It would be interesting to see what results other players get from their stats - S&G, MTT or cash players.

Anyone fancy doing theirs?

Comments

• edited May 2011
    I think the famous saying comes into play here... "Cash is for dough, tournies for show".

There are a lot more "pro" cash players than there are MTT pro's. This is because of the variance and time commitments.

Cash obviously you can spin up money a lot quicker than you can in an MTT, although if you bink a decent MTT its more than you will ever make in a single cash session.
    For professionals its all about making as much CONSISTENT profit as possible hence why they play cash.

I believe I have good MTT stats but like many players, cash is the bread and butter.

On Sky  in MTT's i have played 1428 games with a profit of £9,741. which with your way of working it out is £6.80 (£3.40 an hour).
    Not really a lot when you consider that's only 7 blinds at 50nl where  I play.

Below are my SharkScope stats...
                                        Games       Av. Profit           Av.  Stake           ROI          Total profit
    FlashFlush  1,428£6.8  £11  79%£9,741  
  • edited May 2011
    Thanks m8.

Just to give you some idea what the best in the world achieve -

Games  AvProfit   Stake      ROI         Profit
    6,309$57  $215  31%$357,616  -99PokerStarsSch. Only

Very impressive you'll agree - that works out at about £18 an hour - or the same as a Nurse.
  • edited May 2011
    I agree that the hourly rate is not that impressive in MTT's.

But for pro's you have to consider that they are multi-tabling tournies. So even if they are only playing 4 at a time. Their hourly rate is 4x greater.
  • edited May 2011
    how about 30per hr iUsernameGames PlayedAv. ProfitAv. StakeAv. ROITotal ProfitFormAbility /100NetworkFilterpod1         747$1  $10  16%$553  -68SkyPokerSch. Onlyxsh!!!!
  • edited May 2011
    lol this is my sky account
    Username Games Played Av. Profit Av. Stake Av. ROI Total Profit Form Ability /100 Network Filter
    delaney09     
    715$0  $5  8%-$360  
    57SkyPoker x
     mostly because of satelliting into tournies and being unsuccessful :(

but this is the one that bugs me my stars account i am miles from a loss on there but SharkScope says other wise
    Username Games Played Av. Profit Av. Stake Av. ROI Total Profit Form Ability /100 Network Filter
    delaney1991159-$3  $11  119%-$484  TILT :(
    60PokerStars x
  • edited May 2011
    In Response to Re: So you wanna be a Pro..........:
    I agree that the hourly rate is not that impressive in MTT's. But for pro's you have to consider that they are multi-tabling tournies. So even if they are only playing 4 at a time. Their hourly rate is 4x greater.
    Posted by splashies

The ''pro'' example above is genuine and I know the gentleman. He has played that site for over 6 years. He predominently plays 2 sites - that and another one.  His earnings on that site equate to £180,000 over the period. An average of £20,000 pa. Multiply that by the 2 sites and it's still below a train drivers salary.

My son trained for two years (with pay) to become a train driver and now earns £43,000 a year. It just puts it into context - the figures look huge but they aren't really. 

• edited May 2011
    In Response to Re: So you wanna be a Pro.......... : The ''pro'' example above is genuine and I know the gentleman. He has played that site for over 6 years. He predominently plays 2 sites - that and another one.  His earnings on that site equate to £180,000 over the period. An average of £20,000 pa. Multiply that by the 2 sites and it's still below a train drivers salary. My son trained for two years (with pay) to become a train driver and now earns £43,000 a year. It just puts it into context - the figures look huge but they aren't really. 
    Posted by elsadog

lol what about Moorman1's results what type of job would they reflect to lol
  • edited May 2011
    In Response to Re: So you wanna be a Pro.......... : lol what about Moorman1's results what type of job would they reflect to lol
    Posted by delaney09

That IS Moorman :o)

''gotcha''

• edited May 2011
    In Response to Re: So you wanna be a Pro.......... : That IS Moorman :o) ''gotcha''
    Posted by elsadog
    i knew that............. ;) but obviously his ftp results are better then stars am i right ? i mean he has over $7mil in online tournie cashes thats insane i have about $2500 in online tourney cashes lmao
  • edited May 2011
    In Response to Re: So you wanna be a Pro.......... : i knew that............. ;) but obviously his ftp results are better then stars am i right ? i mean he has over $7mil in online tournie cashes thats insane i have about $2500 in online tourney cashes lmao
    Posted by delaney09

Yeah you're right - any big cash for an mtt players spews the results. A guy who does nothing for 3 years and wins the Sunday Mirrion will show high returns. The majority don't do that. Moorman is an MTT grinder.

The point still stands though Moorman is one of the most successful and yet it's not that good on those stats. His FT results are better and combined put it up to about £60k average a year. 

These figures are PROFIT not winnings.

• edited May 2011

WIN IT IN MICRO GAMES,

SPEND IT  &

LEAVE A BIT IN FOR BR .

IRISHROVER       
    3,923$1.95  $4  37%$7,633  -76SkyPoker 
  • edited May 2011
    In Response to Re: So you wanna be a Pro.......... : The ''pro'' example above is genuine and I know the gentleman. He has played that site for over 6 years. He predominently plays 2 sites - that and another one.  His earnings on that site equate to £180,000 over the period. An average of £20,000 pa. Multiply that by the 2 sites and it's still below a train drivers salary. My son trained for two years (with pay) to become a train driver and now earns £43,000 a year. It just puts it into context - the figures look huge but they aren't really. 
    Posted by elsadog
    No wonder the tickets are soooo expensive!!! surely it cant be that hard to steer the thing on a track lol, I reckon they should go autopilot and save a fortune in wages! ps - is he always late?
  • edited May 2011
    In Response to Re: So you wanna be a Pro.......... : Yeah you're right - any big cash for an mtt players spews the results. A guy who does nothing for 3 years and wins the Sunday Mirrion will show high returns. The majority don't do that. Moorman is an MTT grinder. The point still stands though Moorman is one of the most successful and yet it's not that good on those stats.
    Posted by elsadog
    yeah i getcha i see him in a tourney last night on stars the 109r he was 1st with 17 left then got in a few times ahead and got outdrawn then a massive pot where he jammed with 5s got called by 9s and ks 5 on flop with 3 diamonds diamond on the turn to give the 9s a flush and a K on the river lol he ended up 11th
  • edited May 2011

DONT FORGET GUYS , FLASH & DELANEY ,
    YOUR NAMES ARE SHOWING LINKS ,
    JUST ERASE NAME & REPRINT AGAIN IN NAME BOX .
  • edited May 2011
    In Response to Re: So you wanna be a Pro.......... : No wonder the tickets are soooo expensive!!! surely it cant be that hard to steer the thing on a track lol, I reckon they should go autopilot and save a fortune in wages! ps - is he always late?
    Posted by loonytoons

That's Inter-City - local lines don't get that much. 

Yes he's always late.

• edited May 2011
    anyone wanna play my accounts and win me some monies being - is not fun even though my Stars stats are a lie :(
  • edited May 2011
    anyone wanna play my accounts and win me some monies being - is not fun even though my Stars stats are a lie :(
    Posted by delaney09

I'm having enough trouble playing my own and trying to beat the paper boy.

• edited May 2011
    In Response to Re: So you wanna be a Pro.......... : I'm having enough trouble playing my own and trying to beat the paper boy.
    Posted by elsadog
    lol i can't even beat the big issue sellers :(
  • edited May 2011
    An interesting thread. There are some impressive figures there but regarding the pro players does it become just another job when your grinding cash or MTTs? Personally I think that the more pressure there is on you to make a living at the game the less you may enjoy it. I know that when we see a top tournament on TV the players seem very relaxed but I would like to see some of them on their day job and see how it compares. When I played on Stars briefly there was a Brazilian pro who was grinding the cash tables and was regularly playing 24 tables at a time. Can you still enjoy playing when your livelihood depends on it?
  • edited May 2011
    CASH is the only way over a period of time where you WILL make money at the level you can crush.................................end of xx
  • edited May 2011
    I'm sure this is gonna be a REALLY stupid Q but.... Where do you find/access the "sharkscope" info people are posting?
  • edited May 2011

I'm sure this is gonna be a REALLY stupid Q but.... Where do you find/access the "sharkscope" info people are posting?
    Posted by Glenelg

sharkscope.com then search database type in your alias change site to sky poker then change the end column to all, sngs only, scheduled only
  • edited May 2011
    In Response to Re: So you wanna be a Pro.......... : sharkscope.com then search database type in your alias change site to sky poker then change the end column to all, sngs only, scheduled only
    Posted by delaney09
    Ta!