You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Sky Poker forums will be temporarily unavailable from 11pm Wednesday July 25th.
Sky Poker Forums is upgrading its look! Stay tuned for the big reveal!

standard PF raises on different levels....whats too much?

edited May 2011 in The Poker Clinic
As most will know i play 4nl alot. After coming back from a break i made a rule for myself that i would not enter a hand unless I raised, except for exceptions when im in the blinds or someone has raised before me.....Ie I may check in the BB - obviously, or limp in the small blind with certain hands as long as they are play them or fold em hands post flop. I may also just call with strongish holdings if its been min raised early (Happens alot here) and there are a load of callers before me, and hence i feel any raise will just cause the same number of players post flop - i just resign to the fact this will happen and play em or fold em post flop. Strong holdings im reraising in the right spot.

Now firstly, i know you hear people say it a lot.....but wow.....it really does make a massive difference. It stops you playing bad hands and even at 4nl people notice......maybe for the wrong reasons but they notice none the less. You tend to get people disbeliving and making mistakes or shoving on the flop...which is an easy fold or call in most cases.

Anyway ive been back for two weeks and I seem to be walking all over 4nl. Im very VERY comfortable and know i can move up. However after playing for a few days the standard is notcably different. Most people I have asked have said it does not change until NL10, but I deffo see a difference.

The main one is that my standard raise at NL4 would be 16p (3x extra) and its everyone elses. This also makes me inclined to do the same at NL 8 which is 32P. However it seems most people raise to 24P (2x extra) and people get scared of my raises and I end up just picking up blinds. This said alot of people at NL8 buyin for half the buyin so maybe its down to that.

What would people suggest.....stick to my standard raise (i think mines normal). or go down to get more callers. Im inclined to think stick with mine as people will fall into the same trap of disbeliving me eventually....but I dunno.

Any advice much appreciated and sorry for the essay!!